SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oklamoni

life style

OklaMoni
8 years ago

in the growing older post some people are talking about living during pearl harbor and such.

Made me think of my grandmother again. She made a BIG mistake, and ended up divorced, during WW2. No housing available in Germany at the time.

My grandfather found a couple living in a two room attached apartment (think Mother In Law Suite, just not fancy at all). He offered them the upstairs in his house, for exchange for his ex wife (grandma) to move in to their tiny living arrangement.

This is how grandma ended up in Mr. and Mrs. Weiss' house. Yes, two rooms. By the time I came about, and was old enough to visit, grandma had no electricity. The Weiss' didn't want to spend the money to get it done. Then, after a very cold winter the water pipe froze. Mind you, it was only for cold water. Now grandma had to go next door to the land lord and get her water by a bucket.

Oh, yeah, there was a toilet, outside, like an outhouse.

So, grandma lived in two rooms. One was the kitchen/dining room/living room, and ever so often the bathroom (where she washed up over a basin), the other was the bedroom. The bedroom was never heated.

Lets go back, two rooms, no electric, no gas, no running water.

Sounds tough, doesn't it?

But she was the neatest grandma. She took us on outings, including hikes. Nothing hat cost money, mind you. We always had cold tea, and sandwiches along. But she taught me the love for the outdoors, and to not complain.

Yes, she was my favorite grandma.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations