SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
necornhusker

Planning a rural life style and making it work.

NECornhusker
19 years ago

My son and DIL have recently moved to a 320 acre crop farm near Mt. Vernon S.D. which she will inherit one day.

They have no experience farming but are willing to learn. They would like to be at least self sustainable and perhaps make enough money off of what they raise to enable DIL to stay home with their children. There is just a tiny house and a broken down barn on the property. They own an old pickup and car. They are pretty much broke but very little debt. One of them is working and makes less than $10.00 an hour. I have advised them to look into a market garden on a very small portion of the acreage and perhaps raise range fed chickens. They are about 90 miles from the city, so I am not sure where they will sell their products. Do any of you have any advice on where they should begin? The MIL leases out 300 acres and collects the rent. She has stated that the kids can gradually take over the rest of the land if they can make it pay. I am available to assist them with some labor and financial help.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living in Columbus, OH