SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
suzanne_sl

U-Kitchen users: refrigerator placement?

suzanne_sl
8 years ago

We're buying a house that has a U kitchen with the refrigerator and a pantry separated from the U on the back wall. The current refrigerator space is directly behind the light switch you can see on the wall at the right of the photo. The plan is to gut this space (a 1964 special, likely never updated), expand more towards the patio door, and ditch the sight-line blocker cabs. I don't care if there's counter eating space or not. My two big wishes on this kitchen are a Kohler Stages 45 sink and an induction stove or cooktop.

The kitchen I've cooked in for the last 41 years is an L with two entry/exit points and a marvelous peninsula. I keep looking at this U with the over-there fridge and thinking it's awkward and inefficient, but is it? If you have a kitchen like this, how do you feel about this placement? Do you have an island between it and the sink? Would you do something different? I've thought about moving the fridge over by the patio door, but 1) it makes that window wall a little squishy, and 2) my daughter said, "Mom, that's a terrible idea!" She's probably right. We are going to do a measured layout and ask for feedback pretty soon, but this is some initial thinking and your thoughts would be appreciated.

Comments (12)