SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ruster_gw

Kitchen mistake - my refrigerator - what would you do?

Ruster
9 years ago

We renovated our house, including kitchen, about three years ago. We chose mid to high-end finishings - and had a budget to work from. White, inset cabinets, dark soapstone counters, nickel lighting and handles, center island with prep sink, and lots of light! It's my dream kitchen - except for one thing!

My appliance budget was $15,000 and so I decided to select a mix of appliances that mostly stayed within budget. I did much research on this forum and here is where I landed - all stainless steel:

Wolf Gas Range - 36"
U-Line Beverage Fridge
Electrolux Wall Electric Oven and Microwave
Kitchen Aid Dishwasher (Panel Covered)
Samsung French Door Refrigerator - 36" full depth - RFG293HA

Guess what my biggest regret is?

I HATE THE FRIDGE!! It is awful - squeaky, junky, not substantial, pieces break often. (I hate the Electrolux microwave too, but love the wall oven, and so it's not really a big deal and can always be changed down the line.)

Guess what I wish I had bought instead? - A 42" Built-in fridge.

M kitchen looks so high end that to have such a junky fridge just does not fit in - and more importantly, my entire family hates the way it feels/works. I had no interest in a built-in fridge originally because the area where our fridge fits makes the full-depth fridge look only counter depth and so I figured it was more practical (and much, much cheaper) to buy a full-depth. But, when I now use built-in fridges at friends' homes, I can feel how much sturdier and more solid they are than mine.

I hate, hate, hate it. And, now with the kitchen design clearly finished, I could never fit a 42" built-in fridge. I could do a 36" built-in but I fear it would be way too small for my family of four (we do not have much room for a second fridge in the basement).

So - what would you do? Do you have recommendations for better quality fridges that are not built-in? Would you buy a 36" built-in?
I want quality, sturdiness, and great look with the rest of my beautiful kitchen.

Thanks!

Comments (17)