SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alimages

Please show me your glass doors!

8 years ago

We are considering some glass doors for a few of the uppers to help break things up a bit. Who has glass doors? Will you please share a picture? Any advice on glass doors?

Thanks!

Comments (24)

• 8 years ago

Oh, I hope you get some good pictures! I plan on doing this to one cabinet, but am unsure as to what type of glass as well. I found a nearby cabinet shop who will do it for $60 a door. I just have to pick out and pay for the glass at a local place they work with (they will deliver the glass for me!). I am afraid of breakage and did read someplace to use a type of Plexiglas but don't know about that.

• 8 years ago

We only have one set in our new kitchen. Given their location, no problems with grease from a cooktop. Love them!

nhbaskets kitchen reveal · More Info

• Related Discussions

Please show me your front / entry door.

Q

Comments (6)
    Hey Kathi...it would look fine in a single, in fact the architect drew up two options, this and a single with sidelights. I can't even remember why we went with the doubles...I honestly think it had to do with the relative ease of cramming the gigantic Christmas I insist on every year in the house! :) My husband wanted arch topped doors like Annie's, but our house is quite traditional, even though our doors really aren't, and I thought a transom would fit the house a little better. You can see blurry out the seedy glass...shapes, but not faces or details. It is nice for letting in light but gives you a tad more privacy.
    ...See More

Please show me your glass bathroom doors.

Q

Comments (6)
    Kaysd, I really don't know what you can see of another person. I live alone and my guests use a different bathroom. It is not opaque and the non-leaf portions aren't very obscure. In the full door shot, you can see about 1/4 of the right side is a corner at the end of the hallway on the other side of the door. That might give you an idea of what you can see. I don't think if others besides a partner was going to be passing by that I'd have used this glass. But it sure is pretty!
    ...See More

Show me your colored stained glass doors!

Q

Comments (2)
    I know someone posted a great site a while ago that I spent some time playing on. For now, I just googled stained glass insert doors. This one has some good inspiration pix. Here is a link that might be useful: pretty glass
    ...See More

Ideas needed for sliding glass door areas?

Q

Comments (7)
    If you like drapes, Michelle, mount them so they bank on the wall on the stationary side of the window only. This way, you don't lose any of the window when the drapes are open, but you can draw them back as far or as little as you wish. You can also install a cornice over the whole thing. This treatment is beautiful in my son's busy household, much more attractive, to my eye, than vertical blinds. Of course, if I had to do 13 sets of new draperies, I might consider a different option!
    ...See More
  • 8 years ago

Im not posting pictures to HOUZZ, but here's a link to our kitchen. We have a full wall of glass cabinets.

http://goodhomeconstruction.blogspot.com/search/label/Kitchens

• 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I don't have a picture, but I chose 4 of my 36" tall kitchen cabinets to have glass doors. Above them, I have a stack of solid 12" cabinets to the ceiling. The glass cabinets really lighten the look of the cabinets to the ceiling, and I am glad I chose them.

I think your choice of the type of glass depends on what you will be storing there. I have my "good" china in the glass cabinets, and wine glasses. So I wanted clear glass. If I were storing sippy cups, cereal boxes, and the like, I would get glass that will in some way obscure the contents - like seeded glass, or ribbed glass, or opaque glass, or many other variations, depending on the style of your kitchen.

You didn't mention mullions, but I will mention that I at first chose glass with mullions and regretted it, and switched them out for clear glass with no mullions. You can never get the mullions to line up with the shelves, because if they line up from one vantage point, they won't line up from another. I am actually not the kind of person who usually minds that sort of thing, but it did drive me crazy enough to incur the expense of switching them out.

If you opt for clear glass, consider getting it bevelled for an elegant touch. Bevelling does add a lot to the cost though.

One last point - some people get lighting inside their glass cabinets. I did not want to spend the money for that, and I also thought I'd end up not using the lights in any case. But everyone is different, and there are people who love their lighted glass cabinets. One more thing to think about.

• 8 years ago

Ohh Ak0402 thank you for the tip about beveling - never would have thought of that and

i love beveled glass!

• 8 years ago

If you decide to add interior lighting you might want to consider glass shelves as well. My lights are in the top of the cabinets and without the glass shelves the lights would only light the top shelf.

• 8 years ago

We had just one set, more of a china cab, but happy to share. It is lit inside, but doesn't show well in the photo. Have fun choosing!

• 8 years ago

Question for Mrs Lizzie. Are your cabinets cream with white crown and window trim? Or is this just the lighting. I love your glass doors

• 8 years ago

Yes, a fairly rich shade of cream. That photo is a tad dark so it's a bit hard to see.

• 8 years ago

We used all glass uppers and did a wall of glass cabinets.

Ours are lighted too. More pics on my blog: http://stonepondhouse.blogspot.com/2011/09/kitchen.html

• 8 years ago

I like glass-front cabinets, and I'm also collecting "details" on how to do them right -- though much of this is "your mileage may vary" type of stuff.

- When you're talking price, be sure you're including the cost of the interior cabinet being finished too. That's one reason glass-fronts cost more: with a standard cabinet, the manufacturer only has to finish the exterior and the door ... with a glass-front, he has to finish the inside too (since that will show through the glass).

- I'm going to disagree with an above poster about clear vs. decorative glass. Today you might be planning to showcase your lovely china ... but as the years go by, sometimes you end up rearranging, and what works today may not work tomorrow ... so you could end up moving sippy cups into that glass-front cabinet. Personally, I love seeded glass anyway.

- If you're going to the ceiling with your cabinets, you're probably going to have a large cabinet topped by a smaller cabinet ... consider going with either glass up and solid down, or solid down and glass up ... but both seems like "too much of a good thing".

- Still on the topic of keeping things in moderation, glass-fronts aren't an all-or-nothing proposition. A whole kitchen full of glass-fronts "feels different" from a kitchen with one or two glass-front cabinets.

- If you have a corner cabinet, I like the idea of it being the ONLY glass-front ... or I like the idea of the corner cabinet being "a break" from glass-fronts. Either way, I like the idea of a corner cabinet being different from the rest.

- I totally agree with the above poster about skipping mullions. I tend towards simple anyway, but when they don't line up with the shelves, they're "too busy".

- I'm not doing in-cabinet lighting because my cabinets are kind of "tucked away" and they won't be super visible unless you're actually IN the kitchen or at the bar.

- I personally wouldn't do glass shelves because I tend towards heavy dishes (and I own a total of seven sets of dishes), and I'd be afraid of the weight.

- If you're going with small glass all the way at the top, consider mirrors on your doors instead of glass. Up high, over everyone's heads, they're going to give the impression of glass ... but they'll cost less, and they'll excuse you from trying to keep things neat behind those not-so-accessible top cabinets. Because, again, my cabinets are a bit "tucked away", I'm thinking I'm going this direction.

• 8 years ago

I'm debating them.. Here is some inspiration!

I love the mullions on the last one!!!

• 8 years ago

We just have one set of glass doors. Any of the other cabinets, I wouldn't want anyone seeing what's behind the doors!

• 8 years ago

So many beautiful kitchens . . .

Our isn't in the kitchen proper, but more of a hutch in the dining room. But it's open to the kitchen, so maybe that counts.

I kind of wish I had thought of doing glass cabinets around the window in the kitchen proper, but didn't even think about it until later. I especially love glass cabinets with the sides glass around the window. I knew I wanted this in the dining room space as I lost both a freestanding and built in china cabinet with the remodel, and I have a lot of cut glass from my mother that I used to display. (no sippy cups here unless DH and I need them for our advancing ages . . .)

• 8 years ago

My glass uppers, glass shelves, and knobs.

• 8 years ago

I'm not home so I can't take a photo right now. I have a wall of cabinets like beaglesdoitbetter posted of floor to ceiling glass doors. My doors are Shaker, no mullions. This wall is across from the work horse part of the kitchen. Part of this area acts like a traditional breakfront you would perhaps have in a dining room where I store my fine china and display some interesting/decorative items, and some hold my cookbooks. I also store some other kitchen items that are rarely used and not pretty - soup pot, china in storage containers etc. Because of this I bought reeded glass. You see the shapes and colors behind the glass, but you don't see the fine detail.

I also have glass doors on a cabinet which is part of my island - and it's the first thing you see as you head from the front door, through the foyer and hallway into the kitchen. I store some colorful items there so it adds interest. The wall corner cabinet near the stove/sink area is glass because I wanted to make this cabinet look "lighter".

All my glass door cabinets have lights in them and the shelves are glass so the light filters through the cabinet. I thought I would enjoy having the lights in them and that I would use them often, but frankly I rarely turn them on and it was probably a waste of money.

Cleaning glass front cabinets without mullions is really easy and quick. Even the reeded part is easy to wipe in an up and down motion.

If you have a chance, visit a glass store to see your options. There are a lot of choices and some will work better than others given your style of kitchen and the effect you are looking for.

• 8 years ago

Reeded Glass.

• 8 years ago

When we moved into our house about ten years ago, I replaced some of the cabinet doors with glass. I still like them. As you can see, some cabinets have pretty dishes, others have pots and food items, which aren't so pretty, so I'm glad I got etched glass.

• 8 years ago

We chose glass for one upper center section to break up the look. I like it but has been hard to display because I need working storage and not everything is as pretty as inspiration photos. Shelves line up with trim and are the only ones not adjustable in kitchen so you can't see shelf edges. Reflects light and even the park across street nicely. Photo of not quite finished kitchen.

• 8 years ago

No pics to show yet but we are planning 2 glass uppers in our kitchen. One is next to the window so it has a glass front and side. I stole the idea from beekeeperswife, Beekeeperswife's glass cabs We plan to store all our glassware in this cab.

We're also doing glass uppers on the top 2/3rds of our kitchen hutch. Not sure what we'll store there yet but it will be for display purposes.

We're not adding lights to any of them and we're going with wood shelves. I debated this but in the end, I think I'd come to the same conclusion as alexamorrie, "I thought I would enjoy having the lights in them and that I would use
    them often, but frankly I rarely turn them on and it was probably a
    waste of money."

We've chosen New German Antique for our glass, clear glass was the runner up. NGA has a slight ripple to it, rather like antique glass. I looked at lots of glass choices but in the end, opted for something quite simple and mostly clear.

And yes to what mrspete wrote, "That's one reason glass-fronts cost more: with a standard cabinet, the
    manufacturer only has to finish the exterior and the door ... with a
    glass-front, he has to finish the inside too (since that will show
    through the glass)."

If you choose clear glass and find out that you'd rather hide what's behind the doors, you can also swap out the glass or cover it with decorative paper or fabric.

Dallas, TX: Alun & Selena Urquhart · More Info

• 8 years ago

We have one set of glass doors. I clean them every couple of months using an ecloth. I went with a seeded glass as I thought clear would be too hard to keep clean. The lights are LED and can be dimmed

• 8 years ago

We replaced some uppers in our remodel with a large window, so I needed remaining uppers for functional (not always pretty) storage.

I still wanted some glass so went with 2 doors flanking the window that have glass in the top portion only. These are lit and I give up the small amount of storage space on those top shelves for seasonal decor. In the Fall I had small pumpkins & gourds, at Christmas I had cranberry bead trees, etc. I'm a minimalist with what stays out on my counters & home decor in general, so these add a nice touch of color to my white cabinets. Lately I've kept pieces from a silver tea service in them.

I put a full glass door above the coffee station. In that one I keep glass & silver pitchers, tea cups, Bodum mugs, dessert plates, creamers, etc. That cabinet is lit and, in addition to being in a practical spot, the contents add sparkle & light to that corner.

We debated having lights installed in the glass cabinets, wondering if we'd use them. I'm so glad we did! I keep them lit throughout the evening and they - along with the under cabinet lighting - give off such a warm glow. It's often the only lighting we use after dinner if we're just relaxing or chatting downstairs.

My ceilings are only 8 feet. I'm adding mine to show it's possible to have a twinkle of glass in a not-large kitchen without sacrificing too much storage space.

• 8 years ago

Such lovely kitchens! Thanks for starting this thread, alimages!

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21