SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anamandy

Gas pedal went to the floor.

lovetogarden
8 years ago
Don't laugh guys but I am driving a 1987 Chrysler LeBaron. It belonged to my mother and was garaged and barely driven because she favored her Buick Century. Anyway, when she died the car only has 6K miles and being garaged all the time, (except to drive it on a regular basis for maitenance) it looked showroom new. I was driving a lease at the time and getting ready for another lease but a friend suggested I take my mother's car instead. Up to this time I was just planning on selling it. I told him I didn't want to do that because of it's age, no airbags, etc., I was afraid it wouldn't be reliable. He told me there is no guarentee that a new car wouldn't break down and as far as a crash, compared to the body of today's cars, her car is a tank. Also, since I don't do much driving why have a monthly payment? I relented and have driven the car with no problem for the past 5 years.
Fast forward to a few hours ago. I was on the highway at 60 mph with my foot lightly on the accelerator when I pressed down (again lightly) on the accelerator (gas pedal) and it went to the floor. I got so freaked that I don't know if the car accelerated or not as my immediate reaction was to hit the brakes to slow the car down. It immediately slowed down and I was able to drive the car without further incident. This happened to me 2 winters ago but I thought it was because I drove over a patch of ice. Now I'm not so sure about that.
I just had a tune up 2 days ago and the shocks replaced in the front 2 weeks ago. But I noticed when driving yesterday that my car was bucking and bouncing and I thought it was coming from the passenger side wheel. I had the shocks done at Mavis and had to go back because even though the car also had an alignment the tires weren't balanced properly. The bucking and bouncing might be unrelated and could be due to a bad tire (less that 15K miles on them) or it could be related to the gas pedal hitting the floor. Any one have any ideas? PS - I was so freaked out I didn't drive the car home but brought it to my mechanic's shop tonight and left the keys in his drop box with a note. I took a cab home from there. The car now has 28K miles (I know you're probably rolling on the floor right about now) and I still keep it garaged.

Comments (4)

Sponsored