SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wb0ldj

Foot Pedals vs Lever For Hydrostatic Control

wb0ldj
14 years ago

About 25 years ago, I had a little John Deere 120 hydrostatic tractor with a mower deck. It even had a hydraulic deck lift and fittings for a snow blade. One of the things I really liked was the placement of the transmission control lever - up on the cowling, just a few inches from the steering wheel. Over the intervening years, I've either lived on a small lot that didn't justify a riding mower, or hired a mowing service.

This spring, my wife and I bought a house, which came with an old Craftsman riding mower. We have almost 1-1/2 acres to mow now, and there's hardly a square yard that's level! The old Craftsman has worn tires, a noisy mower deck, and a belt drive (that frequently jumps off the pulley) with a whiplash clutch.

I'd like to buy a hydrostatic tractor with enough horsepower and traction to climb the hills on my lot, but every single tractor I've looked at has this two-pedal arrangement for control of the hydrostatic transmission. Frankly, I'm not too wild about the idea of using my foot to control the transmission. I can't imagine that a foot pedal would allow the kind of gentle finessing of the control I got used to on the old 120. For example, mowing on a slope where I'm hanging one cheek off the uphill side of the seat doesn't seem like the kind of position that would lend itself to using a foot pedal to control the speed of the tractor. Neither would going down a hill when I have both feet planted on the floorboards to stay in the seat.

I've looked at John Deere's web site and it looks like every one of their tractors now uses the foot-pedal arrangement. Are there any other comparable tractors in the (20+ HP - 50") category which still use a hand control on their hydrostatic transmissions? I went to Sears this afternoon after getting my hopes up about an ad that said they had hydrostatic tractors with hand-lever controls. Every single one of their "hydrostatic" tractors had a belt running from the engine to the rear axle.

Should I just give up on a new tractor and try to find a used JD 318 or 400-series tractor?

Thanks for any ideas or tips!

Mike

Comments (27)