SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mownie

Hydrostat tranny: Basic operating guidelines and characteristics

17 years ago

Well...here we go with the hydroquestions. This presumably 1993 model White Outdoor GT 185 is my first piece of equipment featuring hydrostatic drive. The layout of controls is: Left foot pedal= clutch/brake ?? Forward/Neutral/Reverse lever comes through the fender on the left side of operator's seat. What is labeled "Parking Brake" is a little black pull up knob in the front section of the center console. There is also a sliding slot black knob in the rear section of the center console that is supposed to "release the hydrostatic drive" for moving the machine with engine off. I have the machine up on jack stands so that the rear wheels are free to turn. (I can't actually ride it yet because the left rear tire won't "air up", but that's another separate issue.) I have removed the seat and fender assy so I could do a cleanout/inspection of the hydro unit and it's affiliated parts/controls. Here go the observations & ??. When I run the engine and the shifter is in Neutral, the drive wheels slowly turn. I will assume this to be normal due to fluid swirl and/or slight leakage of the directional valve. The first big question is this: Is the shift lever (directional control lever) supposed to return to the Neutral position when you let go of the lever? This one returns to the center position every time you turn loose of the lever !!!! If this is normal...that means I'm gonna have to drive with my left hand on the trans lever all the time. Or, does it just behave this way if there is no load on the hydro unit? If it somehow "holds" itself into the selected position upon being "loaded" but returns to Neutral when "unloaded", what happens when you start to descend a grade?? PARKING KNOB: The instructions decal states "To engage park, depress brake pedal, pull up knob and release brake pedal while holding knob up" (paraphrased, not verbatim). When I do that....nothing seems to have happened???? Is this something that only functions with the engine running??? HYDROSTAT RELEASE KNOB: The instructions decal states " Move lever to rear position lock slot to move machine when engine is not running, do not run engine with lever in the released position." When I trailered this machine home, I put the knob into the release lock slot position but it DID NOT release anything. We had to slide/drag/lift the machine into a storage spot with the rear tires skidding/scuffing the whole way. This was back in January so it may have been due to the cold/viscous oil in the hydro unit?? While it's up on jacks with the engine running, the hydrostat drives the rear wheels in the direction you choose and seems to be operating OK (for what I know). I just don't think I like the prospect of having to keep one hand on the shift lever to drive the tractor. Any and all hints, tips, info, criticism, and sarcasm (I'm thick skinned) will be welcome.

Comments (8)