SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jnug

Kubota GR2100 Hydrostatic drive issues

jnug
10 years ago

I was going to tack this onto one of the existing threads. But I suspect others might be trying to make the same decision I made and now regret.

I had one of the gas engine Kubota tractors for a couple of years and while I thought I had purchased enough tractor to just mow my lawn. it was a little short on power. So I traded it back to the dealer for a GR2100. Mind you all this thing does is mow my 1.25 acres of lawn. That is it. I have had it since May 2007. Today, the thing is leaking UDTS fluid. The Kubota dealer tells me that 90% of the time, it is caused by a gear or spacer breaking inside the drive which runs the width of the rear of the tractor sending metal through the system and cutting a seal, Further the only way to fix it is to tear down the back of the tractor, find the broken part, repair it, repair what it has damaged and put everything back together again...roughly a $3,000.00 job!!! Occasionally a clamp goes and that causes the leak but that is very very rare. This was a $7,600 tractor which has been used about 35 minutes per week since 5/07 on nothing more dramatic than a lawn and now needs a $3,000 repair. You have got to be kidding me.

I bought a Kubota figuring I would buy more tractor than I needed from a reliability standpoint and make out on the back end in reduced down time or repair needed. That equation does not work with this tractor. I live in NE so it is used about 30 times per year, about 35 minutes per usage to mow my lawn. I could have had my lawn mowed by a contractor for what this has cost me over the short period of time is has been in service. Needless to stay I am extremely disappointed in this tractor and in Kubota for designing something at a $7,600 price point that requires such extensive servicing after such limited usage.

In addition, I have a question for tractor pros. I can't afford to repair this thing...it is senseless to repair it. The repair is going to cost most of what it is worth if not all of what it is worth.

Once this happens is there any life left in the sealed system transaxle at all? Can I simply top off the fluid and get maybe another summer of cuts out of this thing or is the more likely scenario that a couple of cuts after topping the fluid, the hydrostatic drive will grind to a halt?

This post was edited by jnug on Wed, Oct 23, 13 at 13:56

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County
More Discussions