SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
armstrr

Simplicity Hydrostatic Transmission fluid problem 16LTH

armstrr
14 years ago

hi guys. i bought a 1990's 16lth a few years back. it served me well and i decided to treat it to a real good tune up. Amsoil 0-30, new filters, greased her all up etc. the manual said very little about the hydrostic transmission. basically, if it is low, fill it when cold to the full line. it also recommended changing it at 400hrs. well the mower is almost 20 years old, so i figured i would change it. the manual says to use "premium 10w30 motor oil".

i pulled the plug and to my suprise, almost 1 gallon emptied!

so here's my dilemma. i started to fill it and can only get few ounces in. the manual did say to fill slow because there is a filter screen, but i am finding that it takes 12hrs for the fluid to go through the filter. so basically i have been trying to fill the transmission for FOUR days!! well i need to cut the grass...so i figured i had about 1/2 gallon in her, so i fired it up, but the transmission won't engage. my guess is becuase there still isn't enough fluid in it. does this sound right? i really don't know how the transmission functions, but i do know hydro means water or fluid, so i'm guessing the amount of fluid is important.

any idea if there might be a problem that it is taking so long to "filter"? i am almost about to push the sceen out, but my better judgment tells me it might get lodged in a bad spot and bite me in the arse. can i assume that once there is enough 10w30 added it will work again?

thanks for your comments.

Comments (12)

Sponsored