SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hankll

Spicer / Dana Hydrostatic transaxle problem

hankll
14 years ago

I've been all through the previous postings looking for a clue to try and fix my Ultra(Murray) 15hp 42"cut mower. The model number sticker is gone, so no info for me there. I replaced the motion drive belt with a 37X80 belt, which was slightly smaller than the belt I found on this mower, which had the idler pully hitting the fan blade tips. I believe that I have the correct drive belt. The Spicer unit is a 093264 or 4900-3. I have drained the oil and replaced with 20w50 motor oil. It took approximately 3/4 qt and began running over the reservoir, so I guessed it was full. I didn't have to purge air out and had immediate improvement over what I had before I changed oil. I could not go more than maybe 5 minutes before and it wouldn't move and now I was able to mow leaves and climb my hilly yard for about 15 minutes, and then I couldn't get up the hill any longer. I shut it down, to cool, and I'm hoping to find that it needs more oil, and it will begin working as it should. But I'm also realistically not expecting that, and I might have to consider junking it out. My question is How much oil does this Spicer take, and where is the fill level? I filled with Valvoline 20w50 racing oil. If I go with a heavier oil, say a light weight gear lube of 75w, or something like a manual transmission gear lube. Or should it be lighter weight, as in a synthetic mix, which seems to be 10w30?

Oh, BTW, the date on the Spicer said it was 2/1996. So I may not be able to rejuvenate it. I was hoping to get it going and sell it but I won't sell it unless I feel like it'll make it through mowing my 3/4 acre hilly lot. If it won't do that, my moral ethics won't permit me to sell it.

Any suggestions and info on the oil types and level as well as the amount would really be helpful.

Comments (12)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals
More Discussions