SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
1nonlyj

Hello Houzz! Old "houzz" / new "houzz" ...

IdaClaire
8 years ago

Hello old friends! Big thanks to Tamara who assisted me with logging in. I've not been able to post due to technical issues until today, but it's an absolute delight to be able to participate among you all once again.

Some of you may remember my posts from the old site pertaining to my home, which was built in 1940. We have been there for 12 years, and I've loved the heck out of that little old, imperfect (but characterful!) place. I've shared a good deal about my interior painting projects, the most recent of which had me painting the cabinets and all woodwork in the kitchen and breakfast area from deep red to crisp white. That was a massive undertaking for me.

Although I sung the praises of older homes and swore I'd never have a new house again - particularly not with *gasp!* - granite countertops! -- I've learned to never say never, as we are in the process of building a new home with all the bells and whistles, and I am so-so-so very excited at the prospect of having nice MODERN amenities for a change! We're building in a nearby suburb in a neighborhood of newer homes that are styled to look older (lots of Craftsman-inspired bungalows), and ours will be a brick and stone "villa" home, which basically means zero lot line for those of us who have little desire to do lawn work or garden. We're still in the initial stages of construction, but are so excited to see how things progress. It's not a custom home, although we have modified the floor plan slightly and chosen numerous upgrades since we believe this will be the only home we'll ever build and we intend to live there past retirement. I can't begin to tell you how I'm looking forward to the "new", having loved the old and imperfect for all these years. I'm even thrilled at the very thought of my new Absolute Black granite countertops. The times, they are a-changin'. :-)

It's so good to see so many names that I recognize. Hello-hello to one and all!

Comments (33)