Need Help with Narrow Leaf Mountain Mint

xclumsygrdner

This plant is sick. I'm not sure what's wrong with it or what I can do to revive it. Any ideas?

SaveComment8Like
Comments (8)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
WoodsTea 6a MO(6a)

Has it been wet where you are? I've seen something similar on some of my plants, figured it might have something to do with the constant wet and cool conditions we've had this month.

1 Like Save    
xclumsygrdner

Ah Thanks! Yes it has been moist and cool. There's good drainage and air circulates around the plants but I can't do much about the water that keeps falling. Hmm.. Should I cut it back to see if I get some healthy growth? or just buy another plant?

Save    
Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

Are you able to put it in the ground?

1 Like Save    
xclumsygrdner

I'm afraid the best I can do is put the pot on top of the mulch around the AC unit. I'm in an apartment patio. We're only allowed to plant on the patio.

Save    
WoodsTea 6a MO(6a)

Might be a good question for the Garden Clinic forum, btw. I thought I would mention that one plant I have with similar symptoms is Pediomelum tenuiflorum, slimflower scurfpea. It's pretty tiny, surrounded by grasses and not getting much sunlight. Curiously, I have slender mountain mint about six feet away from it and it is flourishing this year, no sign of trouble. Both were planted in spring 2014 from seed.

The slender mountain mint is a great plant. I like to think that it's attracting beneficial insects and maybe helping to keep aphids down on the milkweeds planted nearby, but I've got no real proof of that. It really buzzes with activity when it's in flower.

Save     Thanked by xclumsygrdner
xclumsygrdner

Ok. I'll move the plant to get more light. Where it is now is not the sunniest spot. Hopefully it will perk up. I'll try to see if the other forum can help me if that doesn't work. Thanks for your help!

Save    
lukifell740

In my experience mountain mints prefer mineral-rich soil. I added powdered limestone to my broad-leaved mountain mints and they loved it. Whereas the one plant I did not add lime to turned yellow and did not grow properly.

Save    
wisconsitom(Zone 4/5)

Too many variables in this situation to offer an educated guess. With this or any plant, if the basics have not been covered, success becomes a matter of luck. Those aren't good odds.

+oM

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Gardening for Butterflies Great Design Plant: Virginia Mountain Mint
Watch a world of insects dine on this Midwest native, an easy bloomer that washes the garden (and your skin) in scents of cool mint
Full Story
Travel by Design Houzz TV: Take a Leaf-Peeping Road Trip in New England
Ride along with a Houzz contributing photographer to see gorgeous autumn eye candy from New York to New Hampshire
Full Story
Decorating Guides Rooms We Love: A Mountain Retreat Made for Cold Winter Nights
Ample linen and Ushak carpets put a contemporary twist on cozy Appalachian style in a North Carolina show house
Full Story
Specializing In custom flooring, cabinetry, and other Home Improvement services since 2010 serving homeowners and... Read More