SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wantonamara

Central Texas storm effects (Pic heavy)

I have been working on land restoration for a few years. We have just had some atrocious rains in the neighborhood. I was under the gun of 3 tornados that were said to be headed to me or once reported mistakenly, ON me. I dodged this bullet. What I did find interesting is the difference in how my land is acting in and after the deluge. I have been clearing underbrush on a steep ravine for years , mostly during an ongoing drought. I create berms with the slash parallel to imaginary topographic lines. I have left some branches in the stream bed since I am in a catch and drop area of the uplands. I might , most likely , do not have the proper terminology that I heard at a riparian workshop. I am well meaning dilettante who tries to self educate and I do misconstrue terms right and left. Sorry about that . My husband has been set against this messy slash activity, because it just isn't tidy. He wants a park with effortless walking. If the lay of the land is steep or if there are some wanted trees that I want more of. I pile the slash deep to keep the deer from foraging the madness, escarpment cherries, redwoods, bumela and others. I have discovered that nature rewards a mess and the bigger the mess the better. I think my husband is coming around being how the land is reacting to this treatment. I am also trying to hold the water back and slow it down.

Well the usually DRY arroyo rose up in all its glory and showed why there was such erosion on the land. The first picture is of the top fall the morning after the first two storms. I was amazed that we had any water running 20 hours after the deluge. Usually in, in the past we had it ONLY during the storm. It was still running gently. I was in my orange nighty and grabbed my camera and went off bushwacking. That's when I lost my sun glasses.

My neighbor is the tallest place in the county so my land does not drain much. But there is a ravine in the back that goes from negligible to 100' deep pretty darn quickly, and continues to deepen on my neighbors lands. On the second day I ran out as soon as the storm past with camera, this time in ranger and umbrela. I wanted to document the draining in relation to the left behind slash. Kind of a pictorial "I told you so , honey". Also I need it for the documentation.

Day one

right after the second day of storms

Running through the valley

spilling out from the upper flatter valley area

into a tank that sits astride where the valley just drops away

One of several falls that were cresting the levy

Looking down

A falls of lower down. Bigger, louder. I could not get closer . I am looking down about 20'. I have already shinnied down and climbed out on some slippery cedar branches. I ain't going any further. The valley was a rocking and a roiling.

I did slip down on my ass and holding onto cedar trunks into the ravine and got this very awkward shot

A couple hours later a cut in the levee had drained the tank down a foot or so and it was now just what was draining out of the cut and minus three other smaller falls. This is one of my more favorite places on my land but it is difficult to get to.

It is hard to see that things I did have slowed the water down, but it has because the land is still draining and streams still flowing and flowing CLEAR. All that mess acts to strain the water of caliche and some of the mud. Not all of it but a lot of it when it is raging. Now it is very clear. It never flowed clear before. This makes me feel that I have done well in this wild and wooly environment of extremes.

*****It is hard to celebrate when others have suffered so from this storm.

Comments (21)

Sponsored