SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
redtartan

Frustrating customers

8 years ago

Last night we sold some young ducks. They are a good size, about 1/2 the size of my adult chickens so far. The people came from 1/2 hour away. The lady asked at the end if we'd take $20 instead of $24. Which that's fine to ask, don't have a problem with that. I said no though. I make almost no profit at all on my birds. I think some people have no clue how much it cost to produce the eggs the ducks come from, incubating costs, brooding cost for electricity (ridiculous) and a lot, a lot of feed for Pekins. Now the part that I find irritating as a seller is that she only brought $20! So then she had to have her boyfriend see if he had money. He had a $20. We do normally have a change jar that we keep for eggs sales, which by the way is normally small change, but we cashed that in last weekend. So I had to borrow $10 from my youngest son and scrounge around for small change for her.

If you go to a farm, it's just a polite thing to take exact change. Or discuss the price ahead of time.

Comments (69)

• 8 years ago

Snidely, I don't NEED to do anything. I can CHOOSE to have change on hand but I didn't. Go back to my first post and you'll see that I normally do. If I want to put lots of details in my posts I'll do that too. Actually I like putting lots of details in my posts so I'll keep doing that as well. :)

Thanks for pointing out that it's my fault that the woman who didn't even have enough money to pay for what she was buying was somehow my fault. LOL Snidely I really wonder if you realize how you sound some times. It often sounds like your just trying to start something cause you're bored today.

• 8 years ago

Well, I have brains and I wouldn't know to bring exact change to a farm. I assume a farm is a business operation and would have change. I wouldn't expect them to take credit cards (though that would be nice) but I would expect to be able to pay cash and get change if warranted, within reason (no large bills). If my items were $15 and I handed them a $20 and there was no change available, I'd cancel the sale. To me, a farm is different because they are specifically producing items for sale. It's not someone's old treadmill that they no longer use. I wouldn't expect a private home to give me change, but I would expect a small business to do so.

It might make sense to you but most people aren't farmers and don't know how much money you clear each year. I see that you normally offer change but you also think people who come without exact change are stupid, and that's a bold assumption.

• Related Discussions

Pottery Barn no longer has Customer Comments?

Q

Comments (86)
    I bought the cute PB Reindeer mugs last year for Christmas. We ended up not using them until this year. They were tucked away in my kitchen cabinet in their box until we brought them out this Christmas. I rinsed them out and used Two, one for hot chocolate and one for tea. The person with the tea suddenly had the hot liquid coming out at the base. At first she thought she had spilled it and grabbed a cloth. While this was happening the other person was pouring the hot water into the Chocolate mix in his cup, there was a cracking popping sound and the hot chocolatey liquid spewed out from a very large crack running vertically down the side. In the meantime the hot tea cup was continuously seeping from around the base of the cup but we couldn't see a crack anywhere. After cleaning up the mess and making sure no one suffered any burns, we cleaned out the cups and checked them out. One had an obvious crack that had occurred, while the other one used for tea had no discernibly visible crack. BUT we discovered that when you ran a wet finger around the bottom of the sides of the inside base of the cup , you could feel a hairline crack running almost completely around the inside base circumference. These cups come in a package of 4 and are expensive considering 2 out of 4 cracked when used for hot drinks. We are afraid to use the other two cups for fear of getting burnt. l wanted to read reviews of these cups but cant find ANY reviews on any of their products. This leads me to thinking they purposely don't have anywhere to post them. From a CS perspective this is a very poor optic, doesn't inspire brand loyalty or any desire to continue to purchase their products. Trust and belief in the brand providing quality products is seriously compromised. I also purchased a woven duvet cover that I have to needle in a couple of loose ends that were left sticking out the ”GoodSide” of the cover. Shoddy finishing work with a no care attitude.
    ...See More

Waterstone Faucets: Horrible Customer Service

Q

Comments (88)
    I have a comment to make about the Waterstone warranty. First, many of their finishes are living finishes - not offered by many companies. These are delicate patinas and anyone offering Waterstone should fully explain the use and care and what to expect. I have done that for well over a decade with zero complaints from customers. Secondly, I would like to mention a great company that many of you might find very helpful. The company is New York Replacement Parts Corporation. They are located in Manhattan, NY. They manufacture faucet parts for well over a hundred brands of faucets, including many that have gone out of business. They were able to replace a Concinnity shower valve for me after the company had been out of business for 10 years. The owner told me they buy up the drawings of companies going out of business and they have the equipment to make just about anything. Here is the interesting part... I asked how they were able to make a profit (in Manhattan of all places) selling parts for faucets without lifetime warranties or for those companies that are no longer in business. Well, the answer was stunning. He simply said, "Try and get the part under warranty!". A month after he told me this, my California Faucets shower valve stopped working and it was under warranty. I used to be a dealer for California faucets. In fact, the owner visited my home and we played guitars together - however that was almost 15 years ago. So, I called California faucets and explained I needed a shower valve under warranty. They explained that since I was no longer a dealer I would have to go through a dealer. I said no problem! They gave me three companies and their phone numbers. I left messages for all three with no return calls. So, what did I do? I called New York Replacement Parts and paid $175 for a part that should have been free under warranty. I am going to provide a link to their website in case you might need a hard-to-find part. New York Replacement Parts Corporation The owner ordered a sink and Waterstone faucet from me and I looked through the huge list of brands and noticed the only brand not listed was Waterstone! I called and asked the owner why they were not listed. His answer was simple... somebody has to call, LOL. He also said that is why he ordered a Waterstone faucet with his Rachiele sink. There is much to be said about stated warranties, but the facts are the facts folks. There is a reason Waterstone is NOT listed with virtually all of the other brands. Waterstone stands behind their lifetime mechanical warranty and the rest of the group keeps New York Replacement Parts in business! One more time for the link...New York Replacement Parts I hope this helps many of you.
    ...See More

ebay seller - theseedhouse - run for the hills

Q

Comments (0)
    I'm posting to share my horrible experience with theseedhouse from ebay. I ordered their potato onion bulbs last fall. When they arrived the yellow ones were very soft, the white ones were just slightly soft, and the red ones were pretty firm. I contacted theseedhouse last fall and notified them that the yellow ones were well rotten and I was certain they would not grow. I provided pictures of the rotten bulbs. The seller would not replace the bulbs and wanted me to wait until I would no-longer be able to leave feedback. This spring low and behold, as expected, only the red ones grew. And as expected, contact the seller and all you get is one liners intended to frustrate the customer. Don't buy from this guy, and don't wait to leave feedback if he does try to get you to wait.
    ...See More

Reverence for roses having a sale 2 for 29$ until 9/2

Q

Comments (19)
    Yes! The waiting is hard, but planning my list gives me something to do when I can't sleep! : )) My main problem with ARE is that I'm rapidly buying all those appropriate for my climate, wants and needs. : (( I'm also exhausting those from HCR and since Chamblee has cut back on its offerings so much, it's almost useless for me, but they still have some I'm ordering. Then I guess I'll have to rely on Burling! That's OK as I'm MUCH better taking care of bands and growing them large by the end of summer.
    ...See More
  • 8 years ago

I don't have a problem with people asking for a lower price, but pretending not to have money and wasting your time isn't nice.

I went to a garage sale a few years back. The homeowner was selling a car seat for $30. The lady offered $20. The home owner said no. The lady went back to her vehicle and brought out another $5 and said that was all she had. The homeowner took it, but wasn't happy. I went on to the next garage sale and there was that same lady with plenty of money to shop.

• 8 years ago

don't know why this is so annoying, but lighten up! the ducks if you remember, were sold LAST night aka memorial day and even if littlemonkey had wanted to, the banks were CLOSED to make or get change...in fact, it was nice she took time out on the holiday to conduct business....

• 8 years ago

I am another who would not know to bring exact change to a farm, as Chi stated, I assume I am dealing with a business operation. I would think it would be your responsibility as the seller to let people know to bring exact change. I don't know how you advertise, but maybe stating it more clearly would help both you and the buyer. I also understand that even if you do state it clearly, the rules don't seem to apply to all. Those people frustrate me!

• 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Sigh, exact, as in enough money. That's why I said right after it or discuss the price ahead of time. I did type out a whole response to Chi83 but deleted because I thought things would continue along this path which is totally not the point of the thread. Anyway.

• 8 years ago

It's all too common...my husband agreed, after some haggling, to sell a car for $1000 instead of $1500...the lady who came to pay for it took out $980...claimed she didn't have anymore...my husband was so annoyed by this time told her no, (usually $20 wouldn't have bothered him)...luckily she "found" another $20 in her wallet....

• 8 years ago

I guess our definitions of "exact change" are different, then. I don't consider it at all the same thing as bringing enough money.

• 8 years ago

I think people do that on purpose so that you will sell it to them for the reduced price. I sold a small TV for $45 and I made sure that my husband had change on him for up to $100 when he met the people that were buying it. I suspected that they would pull out 2 $20s or $100 bill and say that that was all they had and I told him to bring it home if that happened because I had other people clamoring for it. They handed him the right change, happily enough. I also sold a small piece of furniture then drove quite a little way to meet the buyer. He and his wife overpaid me to help offset my gas. :)

• 8 years ago

It was worded poorly on my part, I get that. I thought it was clear given the sentence after, but I realize now it wasn't because it's so far off track now. My comments to Alisande were that, that specific person was stupid and there was no excuse because there is a bank machine in town and the change part was just from being frustrated by snidely that I was somehow at fault that the woman didn't bring enough money. I'll admit I fueled the fire on that one with saying she should go buy a pack of gum. LOL Sometimes I just want to hit my head on the desk when people make something an issue that wasn't in the first place. If you notice all my comments were about getting stuff for cheaper, not about her having exactly $24 so I wouldn't have to make change.

I'd just like to be clear so we can get back to the griping please (which I am enjoying every time I come in to cool down)

1. we have a jar that is normally full of small bills and change.

2) I paid her enough change and actually had enough in loonies and quarters but felt paying someone $16 in change that small was a jerk thing to do so my son gave me 2 - 5's. We had the money in the house.

3) She didn't bring enough money for the agreed price that's where I said she was a frustrating customer. I actually feel like she had the money and just didn't want to give me the money because when I said no to $20 that that wouldn't cover my cost she said, "I only brought a $20". When I said nothing she asked the boyfriend if he had any money. However I don't know, maybe she did only have $20, either way I think it's frustrating to not bring enough or to lie and say you don't have it. I'd like to think she was just dumb and not a liar.

• 8 years ago

I re-read my post and I realize I wasn't clear at all and then got a little off track due to feeling a tad "mis-understood" to say it nicely since pms and being defensive go handin hand. I just decided to delete the post where I used the word stupid and said has no brains, which was very snarky of me to do. I would put the b word but I'll be flagged so I'll use snarky instead.

• 8 years ago

FlamingO in AR that was very nice of them to offset gas. You don't get that very often.

• 8 years ago

Do you suppose the person who always has an expert opinion and is ALWAYS right has nothing else to do all day other than participate in other's posts? Maybe if those posts weren't acknowledged they would get lost in the on topic discussion posts.

• 8 years ago

I understood exactly what you meant in your first post, littlemonkey3, and I'm glad you stood firm on your price.

• 8 years ago

Littlemonkey3, I too understood exactly what you were saying in your first post and the others.

I don't buy farm animals but I do stop in for free range eggs at a nearby farm. I always take $4.00 for each dozen that I get, not a big deal to make sure that I have the correct money. I really like it when things go smoothly :-)

I dislike haggling and if I wanted $100 for a dining table that I'm selling, I would ask $150 just to give those that feel that they must haggle some degree of satisfaction. Online garage sales are the worst for people trying to get something for nothing.

• 8 years ago

What's more frustrating than any gripes above ? People to stupid or lazy to come up with a convincing lie. Or think you're too stupid to see it. Seriously, I get better stories from the pan handlers.

• 8 years ago

I really get po'ed when someone will create an elaborate lie to get something for free from Freecycle then turn around and sell it at a yard sale. It's common knowledge that flea market vendors get lots of little goodies and re-sell them. I go by the tone of voice when people respond to my offers, e.g. "I'll take everything, send me your address." Uh, no!

Someone was giving away their deceased mother's wheelchair and a man said that his wife is disabled, etc. He came to pick it up with his disabled wife in the van. My friend saw the two of them at their yard sale with the wheelchair for sale and she tending to the tables. She did comment on her quick recovery.

• 8 years ago

Is it just unspoken law in certain areas that if you go to a farm-like operation, you bring exact change? We visit several different fruit, veg and egg stands and ALWAYS make sure we have exact change. Mostly because there may not be anyone there to take our money and it's left in the basket. Or, because the woman is busy hanging clothes, or the man is on the tractor, and like they have time to always make sure they have exact change? It's just country life. You either get it or you don't.

• 8 years ago

Well, I have haggled in Middle Eastern bazaars, and it's true that the "I only have X much to spend" is a good technique there. There's a huge difference. There, the prices are jacked up for anyone who doesn't speak the local language like a native. The sellers are merchants, in the business of selling stuff, not regular folk selling the occasional pet or knickknack. Everyone knows the rules, and bargaining is expected. It's actually kind of rude not to bargain because it's a social game. Like the woman who had more money in the car, you go in alone, and let one of your friends hold your money, while you take only as much as you want to spend. When you look at something and the merchant tells you a price you don't like, you start to back up, apologize, and say you only have so much. He'll drop the price, and you say it's okay, you know you can't afford it and thank-you for showing it. He'll drop the price more. You say thank-you for the generous offer but you really can't buy it. All you have is this. And you pull your money out of your pocket and apologize again for not buying. Then the merchant gets a mean look on his face because you're an outlander and getting the item for a reasonable price, and he insists on selling it to you, and wraps it up, and mutters about how fine it is and how he's going broke on you. Of course, if it had been a local buying, the price would still only be about 2/3 of what you paid. :) An important part of this dance--the important part--is the merchant is insisting on selling the item, and you're insisting that you can't buy it, not asking him to take less.

I don't know if this would work in the farm business, but in art, when there's a private commission, practically the first thing is you get half the money up front, non-refundable except in cases where the work isn't done correctly or by a stated deadline. That should pay for your materials and maybe even some of your time. You have a contract (usually a standard form--never let the other party's brother-in-law redraft the contract. Refuse to accept it if that happens). You put in the particulars of what the client is getting, as well as a clause that says that payment is due on completion and before delivery, and that if the piece is refused the artist is the owner and has all rights to the work (i.e, can sell it to someone else even if it's a portrait of the client).

If you're selling a side of beef, why can't you have a contract that has a projected price, a formula for what the real price will be ($X per pound plus the butcher's fee, or whatever it is), a date (or date range) when final payment and delivery must be made, etc, and get half up front? If something bad happens to the animal and there's no replacement, you can always refund the money.

I'm being really mean, here, though, LM3: Your duck people sound like stoners. I hope the ducks are okay in their custody!

• 8 years ago

Another one who "got" your original post, without any other explanation. You stated she was quoted a price before the trip to your home, and she came knowing those facts.

You should have used your ESP over and over to know she would actually show up and then not want to pay the agreed amount..and then have to have change. You have all the time in the world to keep monies on your person to give her just the right amount, and you know it is all your fault when you didn't do just that....and I AM ROLLING MY EYES as I type this second paragraph. It isn't like you run a big farmer's market from your home, which I am sure in that case you would have been prepared for everyday sales. Sometimes I really wonder why mountains are made out of molehills. All you did was tell of a transaction that occurred, and said that it would be nice if people would bring the right change which in itself is common courtesy. I wouldn't have change on hand if I was selling something that I made arrangements with over the phone or email, because I normally use CC or debit card. If I am buying I would certainly have the right amount of cash if I wanted an item bad enough.

• 8 years ago

Small Smileys · More Info

• 8 years ago

Jasdip - wow that wheelchair story...... :( Think of the people who could actually have used that. I wonder if they don't think about those things or if they think about it but don't care?

I could never do the side of the road unattended markets. I just don't trust people. Sure lots of people are decent and honest, but all it takes is one person to swipe that cash. My next door neighbor raises and sells cattle and horses. They go from farmer to farmer and buy hay and then just not pay. The word has gotten around somewhat, but either they are paying for their hay now or they are finding new people to buy from. We have a lot of Mennonite farms here and believe me, they spread the word.

plllog - I don't think they were stoners. LOL They just wanted to pay me less than what I wanted for the ducks. I had another person who was going to take all the ducks and offered me less over email. I don't really mind someone offering less. Sure I'd rather they didn't, but the offering part doesn't bother me, but I don't have to accept less. Part of it is kijiji I am sure. However my options are pretty limited here.

Someone mentioned above about responses they get to ads and how rude people can be. I fully agree with that one. You have people who just write things like "How many". Nothing else. We live in a rude culture for sure. I love, love, love getting an email that is polite and has questions. Usually a person is serious if they ask question. Over the years I've had several first responses that were "where do you live" which are kinda creepy. LOL I did have one guy one time that we were back and forth with questions and such and every single email would start with "Hi, how are you?" He was at least polite, but it was so odd because this started with the first email and I just ignored it since it's not like we were face to face, so then do I respond back with, "I'm fine. How are you?" or ignore. I chose to ignore. I think the items that were the best seller I've ever had on kijiji was my kids' old legos. Wow were those ever popular. Not as many people in the pool when it comes to ducks.

• 8 years ago

threejs thanks, I fully admit to getting suck in yesterday though and arguing for the sake of arguing which I at least did realize I was doing, but it would have been nice if I had of ignored in the first place. We're not everyday sellers. We sell our eating eggs to set customers, we don't advertise those online or with signs at the front. They are people we know. I'm usually in and out of the house, and can't hear if someone comes up if I'm down by the barn so at this point I just sell the occasional thing online. Our farm is really just for our own needs, but sometimes we have excess. I've thought about it as a business, but to be honest, there isn't that much money in small scale farming when you factoring in all the labor. Actually if you factor in the labor, I'd be paying people to take it. LOL

• 8 years ago

plllog You mentioned that prairie rose could give customers an estimation with beef cuts. While you can give an estimation, sometimes the estimation can be way off. There are a lot of factors. Some people don't understand that there is a difference between live weight, hang weight and retail cuts. A butcher will have their own fees and customers have to call or fill out an order form with the butcher for specific cuts. The butcher will usually tack on additional cost for things like making hamburgers patties. Also some animals dress out at different weight percentages. It will depend on the breed but even within the breed there may be some variation. That's why prairie rose could only give a rough estimation, there are too many variables. Cattle are not easy to weigh on the farm unless you have a livestock scale, so you could get a large steer that you get more meat and therefore are paying more or you could get a smaller steer and be paying less but you're still usually paying around the same price per pound.

• 8 years ago

I think people are individuals. Some haggling may be cultural, and as the OP pointed out, it is fine for the customer to ask.

I've sold some stuff on CL, and if someone asks, I will let them know exactly how much I'm willing to discount an item. Before they arrive, they know the cost. If they do not have change, I live in a suburban area where change is easily available, they can get it and be back within 5 minutes. I personally do not feel I have to have change for the one time sale of one item. If I were having a garage sale, or if I sold a particular item frequently such as vegetables or eggs, I would have change on hand.

If they arrive with less than the agreed purchase amount I would thank them for their time and then not complete the transaction.

Commerce is not for the faint of heart or thin of skin. It can be fun and profitable, but you have to approach your sales having done your homework: think through all the possible shenanigans the other party might pull, and plan your responses ahead of time.

Remain courteous at all times, remember that when someone comes to your home to buy, they know where you live. Especially when it is a local sale, remember that the other party may talk about you the same way you might come on here and talk about him. Be firm and courteous and safe.

• 8 years ago

I would always bring exact change to a farm. They are not a store or a bank. You know the price, be ready with that amount. Its not so hard.

• 8 years ago

This was an entertaining thread! Having worked in retail for ten years (oh, yeah, I have some great stories - my family always told me I should write a book, but no one would believe it), I always try to be a good "customer". I collect all my "little money" (quarters, dollar bills, etc.) and use that at the farmer's market or buying from the neighbor that sells eggs and maple syrup. I have a set amount to spend (otherwise, I'd go crazy buying stuff), and everyone really appreciates small bills and change. Even though they have a cash drawer and can make change. Usually. Heck, even the smaller stores around here sometimes run out of ones and fives.

I have never understood the concept of trying to get something for less than what it cost someone to produce it. Maybe it's because I know how much work it is to raise animals, tend a garden, and have a stand at the market or sell from your house.

Yeah, I'm old fashioned with a different outlook than most people. I'm too set in my ways to change now :-)

• 8 years ago

Oh Malna, I can totally relate to the retail business. That's what I did before having children. While the vast majority of customers were really great, you'd just get THAT one type of customer every once in a while. The 1 and only time I lost my cool I was halfway through a very stressful pregnancy that landed me on bed rest. The reason the customer berated me, there was no Branflakes like it said in the flyer. LOL 16 years ago and I still remember that. I still remember some nice moments too and 1 with a woman who I believe was going through chemo bought girl birthday cards in every age we had. I couldn't look her in the eye, I was fighting back the tears. I know that's totally off topic, your post just brought back the memory.

• 8 years ago

OK, I just have to share my weirdest (thank goodness it only happened once type) retail story. I worked in an outlet store that sold dinnerware, stemware and gift items. We had a "back room" where we sold odd pieces of discontinued dishes for pennies.

The warehouse had shipped us a lot of coffee servers (basically large ceramic teapots) and we put them out for $2.00 each. We also had public restrooms in the "Back Room". Which clogged up and overflowed on a holiday weekend (thank you to everyone who thought disposable diapers were flushable in both the Ladies and Mens bathrooms - if it doesn't go down in one, just go clog up the other one, right?)

A couple of weeks later, I heard a customer screaming in the "Back Room". A gentleman had relieved himself in one of the coffee servers and put it back on the shelf, apparently while the restrooms were out of order. She had turned it over to look at the price tag. Yep, dumped it right down the front of her dress.

Nothing in life (at that point) had prepared me for that "Holy [insert swear words here], what do I say/do for this circumstance?" moment. Actually, she was a really good sport!, became a regular customer and we shared more than a few laughs about it. When it was a memory and not the reality of the "moment".

• 8 years ago

LMAO Malna, thanks for that great story. That was a good one for sure.

• 8 years ago

OMG!!!! Malna, that is the craziest I've ever heard, and I thought I'd heard some!

LM3 and PR, you don't actually have to have the number locked down to collect a deposit. I just Googled how much a side of beef costs and found this listing from one place just in the preview. Obviously, they're pros, so perhaps have a tighter estimate than someone with only one or two to sell, but it's a starting place: "Half: 240-320 lbs = approximately $900-$1200 for the meat, and about $150-200 for the processing." If you've sold several in the past, you know what your numbers are, and can use them for your estimated range. Add the disclaimer that the final price will be determined by whichever weight you're pricing at, and that special requests for the cut will be an extra charge from the butcher, etc.

Unless your locality has laws forbidding deposits, you can get one. It could be for more than half. You could charge $1000 "minimum reservation fee" however many months ahead of time, with the remainder to be paid on delivery. If they don't pay and you sell the meat to someone else, you probably would have to refund the deposit minus your expenses to find the new buyer and any discount you had to give. Or you could charge a $2000 reservation fee and refund the amount that's over the proper price. Or, if you don't have legal controls on the prices you can charge, you could call your very specially raised, hands on, beef extra special, and just charge a flat upfront fee that's just a tad more than you think the outside amount will be. Say, if the above estimate is in line with what you'd be selling at, call it $1500 for a side. Period. Take it or leave it. Some people will probably take it. :)

• 8 years ago

Oh my, malna. What a tale. I'm glad the customer wasn't too upset.

I had to smile about the e-mails starting with "Hi, how are you?". For many years I kept in touch with one of my childhood friends that had moved away. Every letter from her began "How are you? I am fine." :)

• 8 years ago

plllog

I'm pretty sure Prairie Rose would never get a customer if she charged a $2000 reservation fee. If she charge $1500 flat and someone ordered a side from her and got 300 lbs a meat, then the their bother orders a side for $1500 and they get 240 lbs, most people are going to have a problem. If cattle are her business she can't just take a change with take it or leave it, she's got to have people take it. I think if it's not your livelihood then you can be a little more pick. People do live sales like that but I've never seen meat sent to the butcher done like that. Prairie mention that she explains thing to people. I think what she's trying to say, but may I am wrong is that people aren't understanding that there is a difference between the live animal, the hanging weight which is once "cleaned" and quartered and the carcass weight which is after a period of aging and the meat looses moisture. Then there is the retail cuts which is further loss. Prairie please feel free to correct me if I am not getting what you meant correct.

gyr_falcon I'll admit, I am guilty of it too. LOL Back when I was a teen and used to keep in touch with friends after moving I always would start the letters that way. But, I knew the people!

• 8 years ago

In some cultures it is extremely rude NOT to begin a missive by naming every person in the recipient's family and asking after their health before you launch into the body of your message. I have copies of some early 19th Century letters my French immigrants wrote to relatives in France and the replies. They all begin this way

• 8 years ago

haha. At least "fine" is good! Unless it was followed up by the shed burnt down, the goats ate the entire garden, floodwaters carried away our truck, I went to Malna's Wherehouse yesterday and when I checked the price of a coffee server...

• 8 years ago

I couldn't make this stuff up. Remind me to tell you the chicken bone story someday.

DH and I butchered a lot of deer (our "free" meat-we didn't buy beef at the grocery store). We started keeping records of field dressed (with hide measuring the girth to get an estimate of live weight) to hanging weight to "meat to eat".

We got up to 47% of hanging weight on a buck (minus head, hooves and hide) -> meat but that was a LOT of fiddly trimming bits for ground meat (not counting all the tidbits the dogs got - and the esophagus treats! We used to pay money for those.) No processor can spend that kind of time to get that % of yield. We could get the major cuts in the freezer in 5 hours, but grinding for burger and sausage making took another two days. Plus we made gallons of venison stock from the bones.

People just don't get it (or appreciate it) - time, equipment needed, technique and expertise required = $.

• 8 years ago

Gosh, gyr_falcon, I read that as "Malna's Whorehouse"... Thanks for the giggle!

• 8 years ago

Ack! You sent me checking my spelling. *whew!* lol

• 8 years ago

LM3, I did get the point (though I get why you thought I didn't). And I thank you for educating me more on the subject. Close family friends had a ranch when I was young, but only sold live. My mother would buy by the side, but it was from the butcher and not necessarily all from a single carcass, but x many steaks and y many chops, z many roasts, stew meat, ground, etc., that make up a side. So I'm completely sure that while I understand most of the words there are many concepts involved which escape me, and mistakes I've made in trying to think through possibilities.

My only point was that there's usually a way, if the law allows, to get paid a goodly chunk up front which commits the buyers to the purchase. Sometimes, it can even be non-refundable if the buyer backs out. I figure that people who buy meat from the grower while it's on the hoof do so because they want to know exactly what they're getting, and are willing to pay for the privilege. Maybe I'm wrong on that too.

• 8 years ago

My mechanic raises cattle, grass-fed, no drugs, etc etc. I'd love to buy a 1/2 of a 1/2 from him. But I have trouble with timing. Trying to find someone else to buy the other 1/2, having the cash available, and/or freezer space.

• 8 years ago

Jasdip - ya a 1/4 cow is a lot of freezer space for sure. I think on a small steer we split the 1/2 with my sister and it was somewhere around 100 lbs. When we butchered our own steer which was a small guy because he was pretty much grass fed hardly any fat at all and we got 300 lbs meat plus a whack load of meaty soup bones. That takes up a lot of space. We just did up two hogs that were 5 1/2 months old and my upright freezer is jam packed.

• 8 years ago

I agree if you are selling it in person, you make sure you have change, here at the markets people I have seen hand out fifties and even hundred dollar bills and they have to come up with the change and bills to give to their customers. Its expected as part of selling, its not up to the customers.
    If I know ahead of time I will try to save my small bills and give those out and some change too and they lit up when they see I have that.
    The odd time I will have to give a bigger bill and feel bad but again that is their job to have that change.
    And yes, garage sales, you got to load up with small bills, and tons of change so you can give change out.
    What if you went to store and they said we don't have change or small bills and can't give back to you? You would go you are selling something you have to provide me with the proper amount back.
    I would buy from a neighbour the odd flowers and at times didn't have the change on me and so I would put an I. O. U. in box and then next day bring the proper amount of change or times didn't have it but gave what I had and so times they got more then the actual cost.

kathy

• 8 years ago

Kathy, I had change for her.

• 8 years ago

Oh yes this thread brings back the retail memories! The one old lady who came into one of the stores and got $5 worth of gas and drops a $100 bill. Nope, don't carry that kind of change. You HAVE to give me change. Well, I'll give you change but make yourself comfortable because you'll be waiting a while until I get enough to cover that amount. OH NO, I"m NOT waiting. Fine, stop back later and get you're change or we'll have the office mail you a check.

Then the guy who starts in that he doesn't have a smaller bill and he can't wait so *I* will have to go siphon it out of his tank. Uh, no, YOU can siphon it and return it if you want. Well give me a hose and a can. Don't have one, people around here always pay for the gas that they pump. And before the next comment, didn't you hear? The customer is NOT always right.

And how often when they saw I/we wouldn't be intimidated, they would go back into their wallets and cough up a smaller bill. We're not your bank folks. Always entertaining when they'd tell me the only other bills they had were $100s. OK, go to the bank and get change for one of those and come pay me. I'll hold your other one until you come back and pay.

Then the lady who came in with a $15 gas purchase and said she would give me $12. Her car can't hold that much gas. Well, obviously it did, and no, I don't accept your offer. Threatens to drive off without paying for it. Fine, I'll call the police for a drive-off. Threatens to call Weights & Measures and I point to the sticker that they were tested and passed. Go ahead and call them. New pumps don't go out of adjustment overnight.

Then there's the ones who would drive off with a nozzle in the car and damage a pump and they didn't think they should have to pay for it. Or the one who was going to leave her minor child as collateral while she went to get money. Are you nuts? I'll have the police on the phone for child abandonment the moment you walk out that door. Sheesh.

And then they want my full name, address, home phone number... Nope, Call the office and complain if you want. I'm just doing my job.

Retail was actually a lot of fun. And quite a learning experience. We started to speculate between employees as to what they did for a living after we figured out certain groups were more trouble than others. And the ones working minimum wage or thereabout were the easiest to get along with and never tried to short us. They had dealt with people before, I think.

• 8 years ago

LM3, you got it pretty close. People don't get the fact that if you pay for a 2000 lb animal, you should be getting 2000 lb of meat. Which would be fair enough if one could eat the hide, the offals, the bone. And, each year the price per pound can drastically change, depending on the market. About 5-6 years ago, at the worst of the slump of the BSE fiasco, we were averaging $820 dollars per 600 lb calf at sale time. This year, we averaged around $1650 for the same weight steer calves. Try explaining the market to people who don't get it, or refuse to believe that a commodity can increase that much. If they bought from you in the past and the bill was $1000.00, that is what they want to pay forever, and can't get it through their head that this year it will $2000.00. And why should we sell for less than the market price?

I just have not got the time or the patience to deal with that customer when we can put the whole lot up on the satalite auctions, decide if we want to accept the highest bid price, or pass and sell another day, and are guaranteed our check for the whole darn bunch. The buyer sends his trucks out, we wean and sort them, load them up and send them on their way. Done!

Pillog, getting a deposit is fine, as long as you can get the rest of the money when their order is ready. And if they don't pay, what I am I going to do with an additional 300 lbs of meat? Who stores it for you? The local butcher shop? He can't be expected to keep it, or if he does, he is going to charge for his freezer space. And of course, if your customer balks at your price, and doesn't pay for it, then he isn't paying the butcher for his custom cutting and wrapping. Which means I wind up covering that, as well. The list of issues just grows and grows when you deal privately. If people ask me now, I tell them go to XXX butcher shop. We don't raise beef for private sale anymore!

• 8 years ago

We have bought beef from a few local farmers here. When we do this, we pay the butche for the processing and then we make out another check for the farmer at the same time. The butcher pays the farmer. The farmer sets the price for the meat. The butcher sets the price for processing. I think this is a good set up for the farmer in that they do not have to listen to complaints (If I had complaints, which I haven't). I"m not sure why we do it this way. I'm thinking the farmers set it up this way. The good thing that I like about it is I can call the processing place to get some names of farmers that have meat when I need it. There have been times when I wanted meat when I couldn't find it from my usual sources. It's a win for all of us in my mind. This is also probably unusual in my areas.

• 8 years ago

True story, I know because I was there. A customer at the service desk of a Mercedes dealership, wanted to have work done . In addition, she insisted the air in her tires was old and wanted it replaced in all five tires. You can't make this stuff up. You have frustrating customers, and then you have this lady. Sweet as she can be, but, I think she spent too much time under the hair dryer.

• 8 years ago

You also need to find a good processing plant too. The lady we bought our Icelandic sheep from told us how she normally uses these two brothers who have an abbatoir. One time she need a bunch of lambs done quickly and she had to use another place. She had a bad feeling on the phone by the questions he asked but she needed to fill an order and there are very few abbatoirs in Ontario now. On butcher day she pulled up to see other group of sheep. She counted and it was the same number of sheep she told him she'd be bringing in. She swore it was not her typical grass fed Icelandic sheep she got back, but had no way to prove it. I didn't ask her if she still sold it under the premise of being Icelandic grass raised. I'm sure she did. Now I am sure the vast majority of abbatoirs are not like this.

For my ducks I do prefer to sell them live. They do make great pets for people and excellent egg layers so I do like that some people can give them a happy home. As for the meat portion, the nearest place that does ducks is over 45 minutes away and I'd have to drop off, pick up, store frozen birds and then sell, plus pay a minimum $3 processing fee per bird. I just can't do that. There is no money in that. You have to have low overhead costs to do something like that. That means my pool of clients is very small for grown birds and I learned that last year.

• 8 years ago

Hmm cynic, I have to wonder what the kid was thinking when the mom wanted to just leave it there. I think most people in that situation would maybe ask to leave a ring or a credit card or something, but a child, wow a little bit of a disconnect there.

To touch on what Kathy said about her neighbor and flowers and IOU, we do that too with our neighbors, but we owe them and they live right across the road. My neighbor rents our land so if we get things off him, like we bought a calf, we'll often subtract that off what he'll owe us in the spring. We'd go in to town and get things they needed (Mennonite and they don't drive) and add it to the tally if they don't have the cash handy. The difference is we trust them and know them. You can't do that with kijiji or craigslist or whatever.