SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annie1992_gw

My first flour from the grain mill...

annie1992
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

My birthday is next weekend and I'll have reached the big 6-0, it doesn't seem possible. I told my girls that no birthdays count from now one until I'm old enough for Social Security, LOL. Anyway, Elery bought me a birthday gift, we had discussed getting one and how we would use it, or whether we would use it.

Here's the first flour, milled twice. It's from Hard Red Winter Wheat, GMO free and organically grown, obtained from Wheat Montana.

The dough was mixed, but the results were not promising. I got a big, brown bowl of glop, heavy and dense.

OK, maybe it would benefit from an overnight rise. This morning I uncovered the bowl and got the slightly fermented scent of sourdough but the dough hadn't risen. At all. (sigh)

Time to see if I can "save" this, I guess. Let's see, I used milk and local honey. The yeast was/is fine. I added an acidic ingredient in the form of orange juice. The most likely culprit seems to be gluten development, or the lack thereof. Not being one to easily give up, I proceeded.

I made a biga with a cup of flour, a cup of water, some more honey and a little more yeast and let that work. And work it did, until it overflowed the bowl and onto the counter. That's a good thing, really...

I added half the biga and half the dough, broken into chunks, into the pan of my bread machine. That old workhorse Zojirushi has never let me down, and so I pushed the dough button and walked away. When the cycle finished I formed my loaves and set them to rise while the other half of the dough was in the machine.

When I uncovered the loaves they hadn't risen much, but they were lighter and less dense, so they went into the oven. Even I was slightly surprised when I pulled these out:

The crust was chewy but not tough and the interior was soft and moist:

So, after several hours of grinding, kneading, thinking, re-kneading, and overnight rise and some thought, I have two baguettes, one round loaf and two par-baked pizza crusts. The flavor is good enough that my whole wheat hating grandkids ate warm slices plain, with no butter at all, although I didn't think it was really that much better than the bread I make with King Arthur whole wheat. Elery loves it, so I guess it was a success!

Annie

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH