SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shedthechrysalis

To plant or not to plant. Advice please!! Zone 9

shedthechrysalis
8 years ago

Hi fellow maple lovers! I'm not a novice to gardening, but I'm very new to maples and could really use some advice. We bought a gorgeous Emporer 1 about a week ago because we got a smoking deal on it. It's approximately 10 feet tall and is currently balled and burlaped in a 36 inch wooden crate. The ball takes up almost the entire box side to side, but we can't really tell about the bottom. There doesn't appear to be soil surrounding the burlap ball, but rather a wood chunk mix. Small wood chunks, but not chips. Some of the fine feeder roots are growing out of the burlap as well. I've read that it's best to plant in fall when the tree is dormant, but it concerns me to leave it in burlap in a loose wood mix until then. If we plant it now, it'll have sun until 2, and then our oak will shade it. It's been growing in the sun, so this hopefully won't shock it. If we leave it in the box, it will have sun until approximately 3:30 and it's against a stucco wall that reflects heat. I can put a big beach umbrella up, but it won't protect all of the tree from our horrendous summer heat (100+ days). If this was your tree, what would you do? We will have extremely mild weather for another week or 2, hence the urgency. Advice pretty please! Thanks!!

Comments (11)