SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
misterleadfoot_z9

Are Kerosene-d Wood Chips Safe to Use as Mulch?

Last fall I had my gardener fell a 40 ft. , 23 yr. old Silver Maple on my residential property. He also rented a stump grinder, and after 3 hours was only able to grind the stump down to below level. So, I used a supposed stump decomposing chemical, and let it sit for a few months. A month ago, I soaked it with a gallon of Kerosene over two days, and proceeded to try burning it out, but it never really lit enough to smolder away. The kerosene seemed not to catch, and I tried several times. I also did several burnings with charcoal. Between burnings, I even hacked away at it with a pick and mattock, but after all that, I only got down about 4" in a 15" wide hole, and as you can imagine, this was absolutely nowhere near what I needed for a 40 ft. maple stump!

I then saw a video a stump remover posted on how Silver Maples root, and was I in for an education. It seems that the trunk width does not tell the story on these behemoths. When they flare out beneath the ground, they form extremely wide tables of wood. For example, my trunk was about 3 ft. wide, but underground flare was like 10 ft.! No wonder I wasn't making any headway.

I finally called a stump removal professional, who was able to grind the stump, table and main roots down to dirt in 45 minutes! So, now I have all these chips mixed in with soil. Aware that you shouldn't plant something where a tree was previously planted, supposedly because of soil nutrient depletion, I dug out a 5 ft. diameter x 3 ft. pit where the maple was (this Silver Maple only rooted down about 18" but had roots 60+ feet long; hence its removal), removing all the soil and chips.

I completely replaced the soil with screened topsoil down at the bottom, and then used a mix of top soil/organic compost and fertilizer up higher, where I planted a 15 gallon crape myrtle multi-stem tree.

I proceeded to use the chips from the maple stump to mulch around the new crape, but stopped when I detected the unmistakable sweet odor of kerosene. I removed what I had mulched, and replaced it with 25% top soil/75% organic compost and fertilizer instead, for now.

I asked someone who has a degree in chemistry their thoughts on the kerosene in that stump and old soil combo, and was surprised to be told that there's nothing to worry about because kerosene "breaks down". I find that hard to believe and am trouble finding any information on whether that is true or not, so I decided I would asked the experts; REAL gardeners and plant people! :-)

Is it indeed safe to mulch with the kerosene-smelling chip and soil combo? Anyone have a definitive answer for me in regards to what becomes of kerosene that wasn't burned off? Thank you in advance for any help you might be able to provide.

Comments (14)