SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
a1an

MWBC circuits and single phase generator

a1an
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I have both a large 120/220 generator as well as fuel sipping generator - both inverter based Honda's.

In the essence of saving fuel, I made a plug adapter for my standard L14-30 cord and bridged X and Y together to connect back to the transfer switch. Basically L-14-30 Bridged on the Hots and on the other end, a 120 plug that plugs into the EU2000.

The ONLY MWBC circuit I have on the transfer switch is one that has the kitchen outlet circuit and kitchen lighting.

Kitchen Outlet Breaker B is not MWBC. Just Kitchen Outlet Breaker ~a~

The lighting has about 10 high hats, with 75W Halogens in them.

On the kitchen outlet circuit sharing the MWBC, the only huge power draw that it will see is just a toaster oven . We don't use the oven part much, only toast. And if we are making toast in the morning, it's highly unlikely, the kitchen lights will be on.

Do you guys see any inherent ~danger~ with the MWBC and the 2 circuits that I've outlined above in it's real life operating conditions. I don't see way the neutral could be overloaded given how we utilize the 2 MWBC circuit and if I was to power BOTH LEGS of our transfer switch with the 120V generator.

Comments (2)