SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
househunter2421

Wood trim paint problem - semi gloss over satin question

Honu3421
8 years ago

So, I have a painting hiccup at my house and really need the advice of this forum. Due to a miscommunication our builder used satin instead of semi-gloss on our interior wood trim. I am beyond bummed out. Our upstairs is complete except for touch up and our downstairs trim is ready for the last coat. Any change in sheen is on my dime so I would like to know what I am up against.

1. If I ask them to switch to semi gloss downstairs for the final coat, will one coat be enough to impart the semi gloss sheen? The painter is very good, very competent so I'm hoping one coat will do it.

2. Do you think it's worth it to pay for one coat of semi gloss to the upstairs? Our upstairs is 2 bedrooms, one bath and a hallway with wood framed windows. Our trim is all flat 1 x 4 with a sill and apron at the windows. Windows are pre-painted so only the trim would be re-painted (6 window openings containing 15 individual windows). In order to repaint, we would need to remove all hardware from doors (4 doors and one bi-fold closet door). I know this is a totally subjective question and the answer is probably "depends on how much it bothers you." Well, it bothers me a lot but I don't know what is involved and I have been making really bad decisions lately. This is why I am asking for your advice.

Comments (23)