SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chi83

Has anyone gone on a cruise alone?

Chi
8 years ago

I live in California and want to visit my grandparents in Florida. I don't fly (for a variety of reasons) and my only other option is a train. Getting a bedroom on a train is about the same price as a two week cruise via the Panama Canal, so it seems silly to sit in a cramped train bedroom for 4 days while I could have a nice room on a cruise ship instead. I don't work so I have all the time in the world to do this. I will probably return home via cruise too but maybe a different line with different ports.

My only issue is I've never gone on a cruise alone before. I'm pretty shy and introverted so I'm not the type that can join a group and feel comfortable right away. I'm 32, married, not really into the drinking/late night scene at all.

Has anyone gone on a long (2 week) cruise alone? Did you get bored or lonely? Was it strange to eat by yourself? Would you do it again? I know everyone's different but I'm curious about experiences. I'm thinking of asking if any of my friends want to come along for free (since I have to pay for both anyway) but most work, like my husband, or have little kids and can't get away for weeks at a time.

Thanks!

Comments (63)

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    8 years ago

You can purchase internet minutes on board. OR when you get off, follow the crew, they know where the WiFi spots are.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    8 years ago

Last year, we flew to San Francisco where we rented a car to explore for 3 days. Then a 15-day cruise to Hawaii and back - stay on the ship and went into the Sea of Cortez and back. Total = 25 days. We stayed in San Francisco for 3 days and rode Amtrak back to Illinois. We flew, drove, cruised and took the train. Not many can say that they have done something like that at one time. What a blast.

• Related Discussions

Tree gone - need shade asap. Anyone got a better idea than mine?

Q

Comments (16)
    jaro - rofl! There is a wooden utility pole in the alley (just out of sight in the photo) that would look much better if it was replaced with the M. pinus. I have been trying to train a virginia creeper up it to turn it into a tower of vine, but the creeper seems to have more sense than to attach to the creosote laden pole :-) So - here's what I have there now. I'll take a look in Chinatown to see if I can find any cheap bamboo or reed blinds that I can adapt for the top. If not, Ikea is still pretty cheap :-) With the angle of the sun and the fence behind it, the area it covers is perfect. Once I get some vines growing over it and draping off the front, it will provide enough shade and I think it'll look kind of neat. btw 0 there are crossbeams near the bottom, hidden by the leaves, and it's attached to the fence behind it, so it's really quite stable. I have to post another pic of the new privacy fence I built to make up for the fact that my old fence was no longer good enough with the tree gone. This fence doesn't provide much shade, except for in the right corner, but it works out well - I now have the shade I needed and I have a more sun on my tomatoes in the early morning. I might need to rig up some sort of extension of my shade trellis if I get many more shade plants, but I can do that without affecting the 'maters. It still looks kind of messy because I haven't sorted out what plants to put into nice pots there yet :-) BP
    ...See More

To leave alone or not to leave alone...

Q

Comments (12)
    DH and I bought a house together. Several years later, my Ex and his new wife bought a house a few blocks away. Ex travels for pleasure fairly often, and when he does, our teenage son goes over there to take care of the pool and pets. One of the first trips occured during some nasty weather, so I drove our son to Ex's house for his chores. The whole way over, DS was squirming and uncomfortable. When I pulled into the driveway, he finally turned to me and said "My Dad told me not to let you into the house." It was like a slap in the face. After taking a second to adjust to the pure shock of it, I told DS that I was sure his father meant that he shouldn't let *anyone* into the house while his parents were out, and that that was a very good policy. But DS said "No, he only said you." I should point out that we had been divorced for about 8 years at that point, had always been reasonably civilized, and that I'd never done anything unethical or 'slimy' to warrant that kind of treatment. I understand he didn't want me in his house uninvited -- that goes unsaid. I don't want him in my house uninvited either, and I'd be shocked if he didn't know that. But to make the kid "the enforcer" is wrong. Just plain wrong. It tells the kid "Your other parent can't be trusted." and "You have to tell the other parent they're untrustworthy." Talk about putting a kid in the middle! If you decide to leave your daughter home alone, have a very clear policy that is understandable and doesn't single out her mother. For example, ABSOLUTELY NO ONE is allowed in the house when you're not home. Or, people you know well (such as neighbors and BioMom) are allowed inside the entryway for a few minutes, but NOT free roam of the house. (There are nosey neighbors - blame them or paranoia in general.) If you think BioMom might be a problem area, have your husband call her and diplomatically explain the policy your daughter will be following, and that you don't want her putting your daughter in a difficult position. (Then get the firesafe and ask the neighbor for help.)
    ...See More

anyone gone out pokemon hunting yet?

Q

Comments (37)
    Almost all the "stops" here are our community mailboxes or electrical boxes or a landmark. Not any homes. BUT: you can find pokemon creatures almost anywhere. Mostly on the street in front of peoples homes, malls, the side of a street. I've had them on the lunchroom table at work, and in the parking lot as I enter our store. The "gyms" are usually larger landmark type items, like phone booths (yes, they still exist), monuments and larger landmark type thingies. Business owners want the stops at their locations and there is a way for them to pay the developers to have them at their business to bring in more revenue. My daughter in law was at the mall and said someone put a lure in her favourite store. While she scooped up several pokemon, she ended up buying merchandise. She wasn't planning on buying anything. So she won (got her pokemon and her xp) and the store won by bringing in a customer who wasn't planning on buying anything. The game is a win-win game for most people. We went to a movie at one of the larger malls here last night. There are about five or six stops in the mall and a few gyms. And I noticed most people who had their phones out were hunting for items and gyms and when we stopped at the toy store, a pokemon appeared on my screen (which I could not hit with a ball to save my life) and there was a group of kids next to me also trying to get the same pokemon. I swore I would not download the game. I did. I swore I would not play it in a mall. I did. My husband will even drive around a block to make sure I can get a stop for more balls. I will not play when I drive. That's one thing I will never do. I have never and will never use my phone while driving. But as a passenger all holds are off. :)
    ...See More

Unlike the plant it appears that member Campanula has gone dormant?

Q

Comments (59)
    I just wanted to say that I love Bellflowers, and I’m happy to see her growing here again! I don’t often comment on the Perennial forum, but I do sometimes read here. I’m on the Rose forum most often. I was disappointed when I read this post in September. Today, I just happened to revisit it. Hooray!!!!! I do wish more Campanulas would flourish in my 10a zone. I’m afraid most of them like a cold winter, and they aren’t fond of my long, hot and dry summers, either. Bellflower, do you have any suggestions for me? Campanula primulfolia has done fairly well in morning sun, but acts more like a self sowing annual than a perennial. I have some success with the regular Canterbury bells. I’m one that’s always wanting to grow unusual plants, and many don’t like my zone. I purchased seeds of Symphyandra Zangera. These seedlings of Symphyandra Zangezura are ready to plant out into the ground now. I’m hoping these cute little “Campanula Zangezura” will perform happily here. If Bellflower or anyone else have any suggestions for Campanulas that will do well in Southern CA, I’d love to hear about it. Welcome to the forum Bellflower!! .
    ...See More
  • sephia_wa
    8 years ago

chi - I can't answer your questions about going on a cruise by yourself, but I can address the anxiety of flying.

I work for the largest aerospace company in the U.S. - I work for Boeing. Boeing and Airbus are the largest airplane manufacturers in the world. I too have some anxiety about flying. The feeling of not having any control, the feeling that something might happen to the plane mechanically, etc.

When I get to the airport and start feeling anxious, I remind myself that I know intellectually how safe aircraft are, that there are numerous systems that back up each other - every commercial airplane system is built with a primary, auxiliary, back-up, and emergency system (four systems) to ensure the safety of passengers. There are thousands of miles of wiring, and back-up systems to all of them. Airplanes can fly safely to their destination if one engine fails. If flying on a two engine plane, if one engine went out, the aircraft could fly with just one. In four engine planes, they could fly with three.

Anyway, I could go on and on about how safe an aircraft is, how many thousands of flights take off and land every day without incident, etc. I don't usually post my personal stuff on-line but did this time; maybe something I've written may be helpful to you. I hope you are someday able to resolve your anxiety - there are so many fascinating places in the world to see and experience.

• Elmer J Fudd
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I'm not going to let you off that easy.

Childhood anxieties shouldn't continue into adulthood, they all should have been jettisoned long ago. You're better than that and you know it. Part of being an adult is understanding the need to deal with things that are uncomfortable, that are difficult, that are unavoidable, that are unpleasant or even very disturbing. I'm going to guess that you've never really been pushed in your life and have been able to detour away from things you don't like.

Forget the excuses, forget the memories. Forget what did or didn't work. You need to put on your big girl pants and make a plane reservation. Do it cold turkey and don't give it another thought. Your attitude is wrong because it's really a nothing. Just as your saying that you're shy, there's nothing shy about your participation here. Push yourself to do what needs to be done. How you are is and can be different every day, and every situation. Hogwash to thinking otherwise. Try and fail, don't shy away from it. If you come back from the trip and say "Hey, next time, I'm taking Greyhound", fine. Don't decide in advance.

Really. And really, good luck. It's nonsensical to cling to this.

Edit for PS - enjoy your trip. Everyone has a different view but just the thought of spending so much time on ships would get me on a plane for sure. I find cruises exceedingly boring. You're stuck with a so-so room, so-so food or less, a not-so-interesting cast of fellow travelers (and many elderly) and not enough time to visit the ports of call. Nothing wrong with being elderly, I'll be there one day too, but for now, I'm not inclined to do my partying with people who look like they're on parole from their residential institutions.

• Jodi_SoCal
    8 years ago

Chi, I've been on several cruises in the last few years. Some with hubby, some with a friend. None alone ... but ... I'd go alone in a heartbeat if the opportunity came up. I's also choose a cruise over flying any time if I wasn't working. Not because of any anxiety issues but simply because it's fun!

I think the most awkward part would be eating alone while on shore but certainly not on the ship. There are always plenty of people to meet and get to know. You'll have gals to hang out with in no time.

Cruise Critic is a great way to meet people who are going to be on your cruise before the ship even sets sail. There will often be mixers/small parties set up by those on CC so that everyone can meet at the beginning of the cruise.

We did the Panama Canal in 2011 out of San Diego. Took the train from Irvine (though you might want to leave from San Juan Cap). The train station in SD is right across the street from where the ships leave. It was an easy walk from train to ship.

If you want to talk about our specific PC cruise (on the Celebrity line) and/or the ports we visited, contact me via Facebook. I've also sailed on a Holland America ship in 2006. I was 53 at the time and pretty much the youngest one on board so that might be something to consider when looking for a cruise line.

• party_music50
    8 years ago

chi, have you considered paying to have your grandparents fly/cruise to CA to see you? :)

• chisue
    8 years ago

Could your DH take a few vacation days to accompany you on a flight to Florida? You could be practically comatose on anti-anxiety drugs as long as you had a 'minder' with you. You could take a ship or train home.

When was your last attempt at setting the child's anxieties aside?

• Chi
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Jodi, I forgot that you had done that cruise! Thanks for the tip on San Diego - I didn't realize the train goes right to the terminal. Seems much easier than LA. I've been using the Cruise Critic message boards - very helpful. We took Holland America up to Alaska last year and really enjoyed it, but we were definitely one of the youngest there. It didn't bother me though. The peace and quiet is nice. I haven't tried Celebrity, but I'm looking at that and Princess. The only one I want to avoid is Carnival.

Haha party_music, I wish! I would in a second but they don't like traveling. They came out for my wedding last year and warned me it was the last time, but they might make an exception when I have a kid. :)

chisue, I haven't flown in 10 years. My last attempt was 2008 when my mom died and her memorial service was in another state. I bought the tickets but just couldn't go. If I couldn't muster up the courage/guilt to go to my mom's funeral, I don't know how I can go on a vacation.

Thanks for everyone's advice and suggestions. I'm putting the cruise on the back burner for now because after calculating it out, it would be over $6,000 to go there and back and that's a lot for transportation. But I'm going to keep my eye out for good sales and take advantage in the future.

• cat_ky
    8 years ago

Chi, I am not so much afraid of flying, and I have flown a few times, but, I absolutely detest it, so much, it spoils my entire trip. Since I travel alone most of the time, I now do my traveling by Greyhound, and I enjoy every minute of it.

• chisue
    8 years ago

I should have worded my question differently. I'm asking when you last addressed the child's anxieties that are having a negative effect on your adult life. This would be a good time, while you have the extra motivation to visit your grandparents in Florida.

This isn't about willing yourself to fly. It's about being willing to look at how you became an anxious child -- and to *emotionally* realize that you are no longer that powerless child. Your present adult self has power and perspective; the child had neither. You could use it to explore a child's 'magical thinking' truths and identify what are today obsolete fears and defenses -- with psychological guidance.

I have benefited from doing this. I think of it as 'weeding'.

• Chi
    Original Author
    8 years ago

It's not really a child's anxiety. I have been anxious my entire life, starting in childhood. And yes, while I have power and perspective now, it's only intensified the anxiety as now I understand the things a child should never have to understand, like death, illness, etc.

I do have a rational understanding of fears, and realize they aren't logical. The chances of being in a plane crash are so low but that doesn't make me okay with going. I don't like heights. I don't like being completely powerless, like you are when you're strapped in a metal tube high in the sky. I don't like relying on machinery and human judgement with my life. I get that I do that in other ways every single day but that doesn't involve free falling 36,000 feet waiting to die like some poor souls have gone through. Or knowing a terrorist or suicidal pilot has taken over your plane and will be crashing it. I know bad things can happen on boats or trains or cars or even walking on the sidewalk but these things don't scare me as much as planes.

This is not something new. I've been dealing with it for almost 30 years. I've gone to countless doctors, therapists, tried different drug cocktails, tried exercise and meditation and visualization. Nothing works.

I'm okay with not wanting to fly. There are alternatives now where I can still see the world, though it takes a lot longer. Boats go to Asia and Europe and Australia and everywhere else.

• eld6161
    8 years ago

I'm guessing you are taking the train then? I know Snidely and others mean well, but for those who have anxieties, it's just that that simple. Chi, my heart goes out to you. You've done what you could. I don't know, maybe there is some new therapy out there that you haven't tried?

Years ago , I thought I was afraid to drive.(We didn't have a car growing up) I went to a therapist and he told that it was a normal fear! Yes, things can go wrong in a car, in a plane, on a ship etc. It's normal to understand the possible dangers. But, by him stating this so simply, I took driving lessons and got my license.

Some people can't drive over bridges, or like my sister, won't drive on a highway.

• Jodi_SoCal
    8 years ago

Chi, LOL on Carnival ... during our two week cruise to Alaska in 2008, one of the gals at our dinner table told us the first night that she works as a gangplank registrar at Carnival in San Pedro where our Celebrity ship departed. Shocked, we asked her why then would she be cruising the competition. She said, "Are you kidding? Carnival cruises are way too wild and crazy!"

We love the Celebrity cruise line. We've been to AK (the Mercury), the Panama Canal (the Infinity), and Southeast Asia (the Millennium). Next month we will be on the Celebrity Equinox for a one week cruise of the Mediterranean book-ended by a week in Barcelona and Athens.

We love Celebrity and the way the cruise line runs their ships. And of course have worked our way up the echelon in the Captain's Club for more perks. Nothing beats a large suite jacuzzi, balcony and butler!

It would take a lot of consideration to cruise Holland America again. It was a three week repositioning cruise starting in Kobe, Japan. Made two more stops in Japan, then on to Russia, several ports in Alaska, the inside passage ending in Vancouver. Sounds like a dream cruise but so much went wrong. The ship broke down three times and a fire broke out during dinner the last night on board. I prefer to relax on vacation, not find my feet wet from the pool emptying due to severe listing or wonder why the entire kitchen and dining room crew simply disappeared after a series of bells were broadcast. Turned out they all quietly and quickly (as they should) headed to their post because of a fire leaving the early seating diners trying to figure out what happened to all the pomp and festivities that had gaily begun shortly before the mysterious bells. Of course we were all finally informed but it by that time, the late seating diners were lined up at the door and we were only halfway though our meals. We returned to our stateroom to find the door open in an attempt to clear out the smoke in our room. Thank goodness I am accustomed to using the on-board room safe.

• cakelly1226
    8 years ago

crazy idea but what about flying there and then cruising home? that way you get there quickly, but can spend your trip relaxing and avoid the dread of the flight home. I think you will have a blast on a cruise alone. Cruisers are fun people who will embrace you and take you in:)

• arkansas girl
    8 years ago

If I were you and I had a nice new car (don't know what you drive) I would just drive it. Would there by any chance be a bus tour going to Florida from California? I don't mean Grey Hound, I mean a nice tour bus. As to your first question, I would LOVE to take a cruise alone. I love love love cruising and have been on several and have loved them all! I love Princess the best!

• Chi
    Original Author
    8 years ago

We drove there 2 years ago. I do like road trips but they aren't as fun alone.

I ended up booking a train. I'm going back east this year anyway for a family wedding, so I'm going to just head south afterwards for the visit. It only adds an extra day and a half each way instead of 4 days each way. I bought a bedroom so I can relax and see the country. I'm looking forward to it! It goes from LA to Chicago, then to NY for the wedding, then down the east coast to Florida.

I still want to do panama someday, though probably only one way. I am watching for specials, and I'm lucky to have the schedule where I can do something last minute, at least till we have kids.

• dees_1
    8 years ago

I've personally not done the train from NY to FL but a former boss did. They enjoyed the observation car throughout their trip!

• susanjf_gw
    8 years ago

i was in vegas caring for my mother when 911 hit and wasn't about to fly back to Detroit...so caught a train...it really wasn't that bad despite i had "seat" not sleeping car...where i lucked out was getting into the handicap car which wasn't full and so had set of double seats to myself...so stretched out as well as possible...the worst thing was the dining car dinner...having gone on the train as a kid all i remembered was the "white glove service" and really good food...omg that sure was long gone...so ended up at the "snack" bar, for the rest of the trip. oh for the days of santa fe..the feds do NOT know how to run a train service....but! the scenery is totally awesome...and the observation cars are great. btw you're really not confined to your sleeping room...although staying in one's jammies does have some appealing sides...

the only thing about the cruise is the amount of people on the usual ships that do the canal...(about 2-3 thousand on board) so you really can get lost in the crowd...that didn't bother my mom....she was an avid reader and went on few off ship (extra $) places...she did choose a trip in the less "weather' time (avoiding hurricane season)

last? would your grandparents be able to fly out to California? maybe an alternative and you could take them on a short or long drive up/ down the coast? know it can be quite busy in the summer...but ??

• marilyn_c
    8 years ago

I've never been on a cruise, alone or with someone, but I wouldn't hesitate to go alone if I could and the opportunity presented itself. I am not a people person but I can make small talk as well as the next person, but even if you are an introvert, take some books, find a deck chair and just relax. I do eat out by myself quite often. Doesn't bother me. I have been eating alone and have had people ask to sit with me, and that is okay too. I think it is good to stretch your boundaries every now and then. Go and have fun.

• sjerin
    8 years ago

I feel for you Chi, as I too have a fear of flying. I do it without pills now, which never seemed to help much anyway, because it's the only way to visit family members--I don't have the time to extend the trip. I have a cousin who hit bottom when she flew, drinking her way to a crying jag so that her husband couldn't sit with her anymore--so funny when she (dear cousin) tells it! Anyway, she took a Fear of Flying weekend class through Alaska Airlines and was able to fly after that with no problems. Amazing. Yep, it's loss of control and too much thinking. I can't sleep on planes because I have to be able to get up and take the controls, if necessary. :)

• PKponder TX Z7B
    8 years ago

sjerin, the thought of your vigilant attention and willingness to 'spell' the pilot made me laugh :-)

• Elmer J Fudd
    8 years ago

chi, you're letting your imagination run wild and you're fooling yourself. You can't make up "facts" to justify your decisions. Here are some real facts:

-If something goes wrong in a plane, a train, a bus, or even a car that you're a passenger in, there's nothing you can do about it. If you're not driving, you're not in control, and even if you are, things can happen that are still beyond your control. Why would that be a factor in your mind?

-You want protection from terrorists? Take a plane, there's almost no security on trains.

- You want safety? There was just a fatal Amtrack crash last week. Fatality rates on US trains are TWICE the rate in Europe, TRIPLE the rate in Australia. See today's NY Times article linked below.

Poor US Train Safety

- You prefer the very newest equipment with the latest in safety features? Fly. You want to ride on dilapidated equipment, over rusting and ready to fail bridges, unmaintained roadbeds that can cause derailments, old and unsafe passenger units? Take a train.

- There has been a significant increase in train traffic and congestion because of crude oil shipments from the upper Midwest. The newly found oil being shipped is highly flammable and explodes because of its high natural gas content, it doesn't just burn. The crash rate is higher than it's ever been.

I've traveled all over Europe in their excellent train systems, including many times through the Channel Tunnel between London and Paris. Trains there often reach 200 mph. I've traveled many times on the Wash DC<---> NY Amtrak corridor, reputedly the based train segment we have, and it's like going back 50 years in time. Not in a good way. I'd NEVER take a train in the US that I could avoid.

(PS - my last cruise was on one of the newer ships Celebrity has. I wound up there because the choice was out of my control and made by friends. It was one I would never have made. It was awful, the only other word that would fit would be "mediocre". Everything was mediocre or worse. There were no calamities or unexpected events, just everything was blah. Those who like Celebrity, great, to each his own)

• Chi
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Of course I'm letting my imagination run wild. 99.999999% of the things I worry about never happen. And it's not even that I think these things will happen but my visualization of these events is enough.

I know trains have their own issues. So do cars. But unless I'm willing to never leave my house, I need to get around somehow and I'm comfortable with those options. Not with flying, regardless of the statistics.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    8 years ago

I am glad that you decided to do what you are planning. It appears that you are set and that whatever happens will happen.
    For those who have not been on Amtrak, there are three basic options. Ride coach. That is your chair and it reclines and you will use a common facility.
    You can reserve a roomette. Wonderful for one person. You will also use a common facility. But, you will also get free food!
    You can reserve a room! Wow! Much roomier and you have your own facilities. Of course you get the free food.
    During the day, for a roomette or room, you can see only one side of the view. In that case, there are cars set aside for relaxing and viewing. There will be a lower level beverage place (not included). But you will have the opportunity to meet your fellow travelers and possibly get into an interesting conversation. Or, you can carry a book and be absolutely by yourself.
    I don't mind flying, I hate the BS at the airport. We have considered renting a car and driving cross country, but the cost of lodging, food and tolls have discouraged us.

• chisue
    8 years ago

Snidely -- She has said she can't *reason* this away, and she evidently refuses to try again to find a psychologist to help her. People will put up with a lot of life-limiting handicaps rather than address childhood traumas. There are worse handicaps and coping mechanisms endured by individuals -- and their families.

(I'll give up if you will! LOL)

• Chi
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Jim, I reserved a full bedroom on Amtrak. Very excited! I like train travel.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    8 years ago

You will have a blast!

• Elmer J Fudd
    8 years ago

Horse pronounced dead, done.

• Chi
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you maire_cat. I do think some of these comments have been condescending and judgmental. I am not weak or stupid, and I fully understand the limitations of my choices. I have no desire whatsoever to get over it, or confront my fear, or whatever else other people choose to do with their phobias. That's great for them but I have no interest.

This phobia is not caused by childhood trauma. It's due to my general anxiety, which I have had my entire life, and which I am already addressing with my doctors. I will be going to additional therapy to work on my anxiety issues. If it solves my flying phobia, great. If not, no big deal. My general anxiety does affect my daily life so I am committed to trying to find help for that. Flying does not. It's simply a symptom of a much larger problem.

If I had posted asking for ways to get over my fear of flying or the psychology behind it, I would understand some of the responses a little more. But I'm looking for cruise information. Thank you to all of those who have been supportive sharing your stories and tips, and cruising advice. :) I really appreciate it.

• sjerin
    8 years ago

You tell 'em, Chi. My relative has general anxiety that has affected her life, and has been receiving therapy for some time. She's still afraid to fly but will do it and take the consequences if need be. And those consequences are not pleasant, and last quite a long time! I completely agree that you've found a great work-around and commend you for taking the train trip on your own. I too think you'll have a wonderful time.

Snidely, you sound like my elderly neighbor's son. He's hale and hearty and thinks that if she would only exercise more (at 88 and she's thin,) and wake up early in the morning, she'll be right as rain. (She has very bad hip/back problems right now.) We are all blessedly different and it is not fair to judge without walking in the proverbial shoes. I'm sure you have at least one little weakness, and I'm also sure you're not told to just suck it up and be normal. :) General anxiety is no different than any other PHYSICAL illness, but meds don't work all that well on it. There is much research these days on a connection between the stomach (gut) and anxiety. Check it out.

Chi thanked sjerin
  • Elmer J Fudd
    8 years ago

sjerin, I don't want to say any more on the broader discussion, but I'll address your comment.

Like most of us (all of us?) , I have lots of shortcomings. Plenty. To your point, I do think I have some awareness of many concerns people deal with that are what you describe as not being of a physical illness nature. And some other thoughts on these topics too.

It seems to me that when there are different opinions voiced in a conversation, the best wisdom can often found in the middle. Call it as a compromise view. I sometimes deliberately express other than a moderate view, to make a point that moves "the middle" to the middle. In this thread as more generally no personal offense is intended, but I do tend to be direct.

• wildchild2x2
    8 years ago

I don't care to fly these days. Not because of anxiety, I loved flying but because it is no longer fun since 9/11. My preference when I don't drive is to take the train. It's fun, it's comfortable and despite the cutbacks the service still beats flying.

The roomettes are perfect for singles. Be aware that Amtrak pricing is like no other. To get the best rates you have to be a bit flexible with your schedule. Go online and "practice" buying your ticket. The fare part is pretty much set. But when you start to add a room or roomette it gets interesting. Those are sold by the bucket system. There are 4 or five tiers. The trick is to get the lowest price during the time frame you wish to travel. As the train fills up or even as it is predicted to fill up the price goes up. It varies by several hundred dollars. By punching in various dates during your travel time frame you can eventually figure out the lowest available. If you knwo you want to take the train grab it. It may be gone the next day or even in the next hour. The next step is finding a reasonable return cost. Your first price is what you are shooting for, that or lower.

When you see what the cost of meals and snacks is on a train the roomette starts to look like a bargain. You are assigned seating at tables for 4 at your preferred time. On some trains you can eat in a parlor car you can eat in your room but it certainly isn't much fun. You meet the nicest people on a train. At each meal you can add all you want to your main selection. Want soup and salad? Fine. Want dessert? No problem. Want bacon on your cheeseburger. great. No extra charge at during the meal. You do pay for snacks and drinks at non meals but you are free to bring your own including alcohol if you like.
    Most room attendants work very hard at making your trip pleasant. Every car has a coffee/juice station and some have fresh fruit when it's available for snacking. Some attendants leave candy bowls out for their car occupants.

No luggage restrictions other than size which is generous. No one pawing through your things. Bring your whole bottle of shampoo or lotion. You do have to check baggage with firearms. There is plenty of room in a roomette for a carry on and a small cooler and a laptop if you are a single.

• Jodi_SoCal
    8 years ago

I loved reading about your train experiences watchmelol. Makes me want to retire and ride the rails for a few weeks (though I admit, I already wanted to retire) :-)

• Chi
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks watchmelol, that's great advice. That's exactly what I did - with a flexible schedule I searched a two week window and found the day I leave for $300 less than the day before or after. I booked it right away as there was only one room left. I haven't booked the return trip yet but I'll do the same.

My husband and I shared a roommette when we took the train to Vancouver as part of our honeymoon last year. It was okay but a little cramped with two people. If we travel again together we'll probably get a bedroom. I booked the bedroom for the 48 hour leg to Chicago, but I have roommettes the rest of the time since it's less than 24 hours.

I actually find coach chairs more comfortable during the day but at night, the privacy of a compartment and being able to lay down makes all the difference. And it's nice that food is included since it costs a fortune. It's actually not too bad either. Not 5 star of course but certainly decent.

I really enjoyed the Parlour cars in the Coast Starlight in California. The seats were so comfortable I fell asleep sitting up in the middle of the day! I was so bummed on the return trip when the Parlour car was getting maintenance and was replaced with a regular lounge car.

• chisue
    8 years ago

If nobody *cared* we wouldn't go OT and offer other paths. Glad you are pursuing therapy. (Nobody remembers all of his or her life before the age of reason or remembers it accurately.)

• Alisande
    8 years ago

Chisue, surely you don't think all anxiety is caused by childhood trauma. A predisposition to anxiety can be genetic, in the same way depression is often inherited.

Watchmelol, that was interesting, and sounds like so much fun!

• Chi
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I appreciate that people care chisue, and want to be helpful. It's just frustrating sometimes that people think anxiety can just be easily solved. It's like telling someone who is depressed to look on the bright side, or someone with addictions to just stop doing or taking the substance. It's not that easy, and if it were, no one would struggle. That's not to say that people can't get over it. They do all the time, and it's wonderful. But usually it has to be a serious, life altering issue to come to that point, and my fear of flying has never been that for me. However, my anxiety has and that's why I'm treating that.

Even just doing therapy has its hardships. A lot of insurance plans won't cover mental health issues, especially without a specific diagnosis. I don't know if anxiety is one of those. I've priced out good therapists and psychologists in the area and they are often $200 an hour to see. That is very limiting for most people. Luckily my insurance covers it, I think, but it's still $35 each time I go, which can really add up going once or twice a week for months for initial treatment and maintenance.

• chisue
    8 years ago

I'm not ignorant of anxiety problems or depression. DH has had problems all his life. He had a severe anxiety attack in 2010. It turned out to be a blessing in disguise. It led to his being 'himself' with the minimum dose of Cymbalta and a dose of Abilify so small (1 mg.) that it's not deemed therapeutic.

It did take going through two plodders before he found a psychiatrist who actually practices the talk therapy psychiatrists are trained to do. Many today are merely pill pushers -- a 15 minute appointment once a month to monitor your dosage.

A paperback by Dr. Claire Weekes helped get him through the worst of his anxiety attack.

• Rudebekia
    8 years ago

I just want to re-mention what Chisue just said in her last sentence. I suffered a bout of crippling anxiety a number of months ago. It was really terrible; I thought I was loosing my mind and was deeply scared that I was going off the deep end. The classic book by Dr. Claire Weekes cured me. For anyone suffering from anxiety please consider reading it. It is a tad old fashioned--in a charming way-- but enormously sensible, and her simple techniques truly work! I had, of course, huge doubts that any book would effectively cure what seemed to be monumental symptoms. But I read the long, long list of testimonials on amazon and am so glad I went ahead and ordered it.

• gabbythecat
    8 years ago

I kind of understand what you are saying about anxiety, chi. I have a neurological disorder that causes my arms and voice to shake. It is often mistaken for anxiety/nervousness. I can't tell you how often well meaning people have said to me "you don't need to be nervous around me" or "why don't you just relax". Okay. I don't have anxiety, true, but I can sort of imagine that a person with anxiety doesn't "just relax". I don't think it's that easy, is it?

With the subject of trains - I took a train trip about 20 years ago. I enjoyed it - saw some wonderful scenery, and I was able to walk around while traveling. Hard to do that while you are in a car. Except - the train stunk. It was a really awful combination, I guess, of food smells, bodily odors, bathroom stink - it was beyond awful, and permeated my belongings for days afterwards. Do trains still stink, or have they improved that problem?

• User
    8 years ago

I hope things work out for you. I wanted to support you and hope these people telling you what to do aren't bothering you.

I know what paralyzing fear of flying is, but fortunately, I respond well to meds and can now fly.

I'm no pro without any anxiety, but I manage.

Anyone who thinks they can tell you to do this or that, take this or that, needs to keep their judgement to themselves.

• PRO
    MDLN
    8 years ago

Have fun on your train ride; I did a long one and really enjoyed it. No airport hassel and free wi-fi. Not crowded so was able to spread out over 2 seats and sleep. Just wish it was less expensive than flying.

I have a dear friend, a very intelligent firefighter/paramedic. This guy does not hesitate to run into burning buildings, but he is afraid of flying. His wedding gift to his wife was to fly to their honeymoon location; if not for a heavy dose of xanax he would have missed his honeymoon.

Yes, generalized anxiety disorder is a diagnosis.

The Affordable Care Act provides one of the largest expansions of mental health and substance use disorder coverage in a generation, by requiring that most individual and small employer health insurance plans, including all plans offered through the Health Insurance Marketplace cover mental health and substance use disorder services. Also required are rehabilitative and habilitative services that can help support people with behavioral health challenges. These new protections build on the Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act of 2008 (MHPAEA) provisions to expand mental health and substance use disorder benefits and federal parity protections to an estimated 62 million Americans. http://www.mentalhealth.gov/get-help/health-insurance/

@chisue, If you are looking for "talk therapy" it is usually better to see a psychologist/PhD, as psychiatrists/MD's are primary used for medication management.

• chisue
    8 years ago

mdln -- I know that many psychiatrists are merely managing drugs, and I see that as a tremendous waste of time spent training psychiatrists. DH has seen a slew of 'psychologists' over his 70+ years. He'd seen a 'talk therapy' psychiatrist at 17 (who helped) and another one in middle age. (That one helped himself to payments for prolonged 'treatment').

One of our DIL's sisters is a psychiatrist, specializing in adolescent patients. She is a 'talk therapy' psychiatrist -- difficult for doctor and patient when insurance reimburses for 15 minutes of medication-monitoring.

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    8 years ago

I went alone on one of those room mate match things. I was recently divorced at the time, and my neighbor, a travel agent, booked me with 3 strangers. I enjoyed the cruise and the side trips, but wasn't thrilled with 2 of my mates! One knew it all, and NOBODY likes "know it alls." Another was a user. "Oh, are you going to the deck? Would you mail this for me?" "Can I borrow your sweater?" From then on, it was hers. YIKES! But, I adored one of my mates. She looked Hispanic and although raised by Mexican parents, was not allowed to speak Spanish because they wanted her to only speak English. We had a lot of fun and my two years of Spanish came in handy on that cruise to Mexico. We spent some time gambling at the ships casino and enjoyed some of the side trips together. You might make a friend, but I doubt you would enjoy a trip on a cruise alone. I think the train would be the best for traveling alone. Just don't watch any train based mystery movies prior to your trip! Have fun!

• Chi
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks for the book recommendation. I'll check it out. I'm willing to try anything (within reason) to help.

I have panic attacks at least once a month and several have landed me in urgent care thinking I was having a heart attack. I actually just went through extensive cardiac testing after a particularly bad one last month, but luckily everything came back fine.

• PRO
    MDLN
    8 years ago

@chisue - insurance companies feel talk therapy can be done just as effectively by someone without a MD degree. In fact many only masters degree, it is getting more difficult to find PhD psychologists.

Psychiatrists/MD's are reimbursed at a higher hourly rate for medication management, than they are for talk therapy. For example, they may pay $150 for 15 minutes of "medication management" or 50 minutes of talk therapy; but will not pay $500 for 50 minutes of talk therapy. Thus, psychiatrists can make far more money in a day doing medication management than talk therapy.

Also, evidence has shown for many conditions no difference in outcome when comparing psychotherapy to pharmacotherapy and meds usually come out less expensive.

• Chi
    Original Author
    8 years ago

In my experience, psychiatrists are more for the diagnoses and management of more severe mental illnesses that rely on precise dosage or combinations of drugs. I had a severely bipolar ex who saw one because he was a danger to himself and others if he was off his medications. He had to be monitored closely and adjusted when necessary, but he was fine with the proper dosage.

For something like anxiety, I wouldn't treat it with a psychiatrist unless it was accompanied by severe depression or other serious issues. I have gotten standard anxiety medications from my regular doctors and then use therapists/psychologists to try to help resolve the issues and learn coping mechanisms.

• chisue
    8 years ago

mdln -- That was exactly my point. I have to wonder why a person would spend all those years beyond the MD to become a psychiatrist, then spend his days doling out meds or 'supervising' someone who has hung a shingle saying he is a psychologist. (Maybe he doesn't want to have to listen to all those tales of woe?) Why DO this?

My dentist's son needs to decide on his medical specialty. He was leaning towards dermatology -- no emergencies, regular hours, etc. Then he thought about spending his days doing botox injections. LOL (My late MIL claimed that dermatology was a great choice because, "Your patients never get well, and they won't die on you.")

• Elmer J Fudd
    8 years ago

Med students talk about the ROAD specialties as having the best balance of lifestyle and above average income. Radiology, Ophthalmology (and Otolaryngology), Anesthesiology and Dermatology. ER has also been very strong in the last 10 years and gaining in popularity.

These specialities are very popular and so can be the most competitive (difficult) to get into. Psychiatrist income is at the low end of the MD range, along with primary care folks, and so it is much easier to do. Based on what I've seen, there are fortunately still many in the pipeline who are smitten with a particular type of medicine and follow their hearts in those directions. For the remainder, multiple other factors including income, prestige, flexibility, etc, drive their choices.