SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oklamoni

anyone gone out pokemon hunting yet?

OklaMoni
7 years ago

I just got back from doing so with my daughter. I am tired now, worn out... we did a lot of walking. ;)

there she is catching one:

Comments (37)

• PKponder TX Z7B
    7 years ago

I'm glad you both look happy!

OklaMoni thanked PKponder TX Z7B
  • rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    7 years ago

We haven't joined in on the fun yet, but I'm sure that we will. It has become a very popular friend and family activity in my city.

OklaMoni thanked rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
  • Related Discussions

new seed snatchin season--anyone started yet?!!!

Q

Comments (57)
    Anitabryk2, the best time to take cuttings of the crepe myrtle is right before they get ready to bloom. Before they have set buds, but certainly before they bloom. You can always try to root them now, and you could have some good luck. I am just saying optimum time. I would say that I am an absolute fanatic seed saver. But I NEVER snatch seeds at a plant nursery. I have a friend who owns and operates a nice nursery, and people steal his seed pods and even dig up plants from the flower beds out front! He sometimes depends on his plants making seed so that he can propagate them for plants to sell next year. It is hard for the 'little' nursery to compete with the box stores, and we are going to sorely miss them when they are gone. All that knowledge! All that advice! Sorry, didn't mean to rain on the parade. On the other hand, public gardens, post office offerings, whatever, are all fair game, as far as I know. Just take the time to research the plant you are sneaking up on so you know when the best time to snatch the seeds, and know also that some seeds are sterile, and will not germinate for love nor money! When I take a cutting, I try to get one that has just bloomed. That way, I can truley say that I am deadheading..... Janie
    ...See More

anyone in Toronto area planting yet?

Q

Comments (6)
    Next year start getting them outside as soon as temperatures allow it, 2C and above they will live and be better prepared to handle the unexpected light frost and strong winds. Of course you'll have to bring them back in for the night. Not meaning to start an argument but big plants do not equal (much) earlier production. I put some of mine (1ft or taller lots of leaves) in my in-law's yard next to his (sickly looking 6" 4-6 true leaves) right after Vic. Day. You could see the difference immediately but now mine look to have lost the advantage (may still be a week ahead of his). We'll see about ripe toms but i'm expecting them to come about the same time judging by the state of the plants right now(other than a few of the early varieties i planted in his yard)
    ...See More

Has tapioca pudding gone out of style?

Q

Comments (21)
    My favorite puddings are Tapioca and Royal Chocolate Fudge. I only like cooked puddings. I don't like instants that you just mix with milk. We have a pudding company in Long Island called "Cozy Shack." They make very good puddings, including Rice Pudding and Tapioca. My mother used to buy the pearls you have to soak. Too much trouble,I think.
    ...See More

Anyone else gone overboard shopping

Q

Comments (1)
    No, I don't want anything and the only thing I need is some new laundry detergent LOL....Enjoy your purchases!
    ...See More
  • schoolhouse_gw
    7 years ago

Yesterday I noticed a large cardboard sign inside the nearby city cemetery saying, "No Pokemon!" : )

OklaMoni thanked schoolhouse_gw
  • stacey_mb
    7 years ago

I likely won't be playing the game, but it looks like so much fun!

OklaMoni thanked stacey_mb
  • bpath
    7 years ago

My 17 year old has actually run errands with me and gone with DH and me on our "evening constitutional" in various neighborhoods and trails to catch and hatch Pokemon. Hey, I'll talk what time I can get with my little dear! My older son lives in a apartment above a bar, that is also a PokeStop. People drop "lures" there, so he's happy about that. And he doesn't have to go into the bar!

OklaMoni thanked bpath
  • eld6161
    7 years ago

Can someone explain exactly how this game works? Who's is dropping the hints? How many people get the same hints? When you see others, do they help you or are you competing with them for the Pokemon?

OklaMoni thanked eld6161
  • Sue_va
    7 years ago

I don't do Pokemon, but isn't it similar to something that was going around back a while ago, but without the GPS hints? No apps necessary. Players were given hints as to where objects had been hidden, and a finder got to keep the object, maybe a book or something.

OklaMoni thanked Sue_va
  • dedtired
    7 years ago

My grandnephews were visiting and showed it to me so I don't have to download the app and find out for myself. I can see where it might be fun. They found a "gym" near me and took control (?) of it. Then someone else took it back so they had to go there and recapture it. Whaaaat?

OklaMoni thanked dedtired
  • workoutlady
    7 years ago

I haven't played it and I won't be playing it. I don't need the addiction. It seems that there must be some pokemon thing in my yard or close to my yard. A few nights ago, I heard a car stop and car doors slam (this was about midnight). Since I live in town, I didn't think much about it but then when I went to bed, I heard voices outside my window. I peeked out the window and saw some high school kids (or maybe college age) walking around my yard and the neighbors yards with their cell phones. I'm not sure how the thing got in my yard. I wanted to yell out they shouldn't do this in the middle of the night as they could get themselves shot. Doesn't seem to make much sense to go on private property especially in the night.

OklaMoni thanked workoutlady
  • PKponder TX Z7B
    7 years ago

People walking in the yard at night, that is scary to me workoutlady. I don't have any issues with anyone playing the game, but that seems extreme to me.

OklaMoni thanked PKponder TX Z7B
  • anoriginal
    7 years ago

How long is it going to take before someone (unfortunately) gets SHOT by a homeowner while wandering on someone's property after dark? I can't say I have the vaguest idea how the "game" works. Thought P was some sort of card game (and TV show from past) for "nerdy" kids?? Sorta in same genre as D&D stuff? Is this going to be yet another distraction for students once school starts back up in... little more than a month? Think one day last week, local Philly news reported on a few students walking across Temple's center city campus, faces buried in phone no doubt. Guy with ski mask just walk right up to them, mugged them, took money/valuables/PHONES! A case of SYR??

OklaMoni thanked anoriginal
  • pipsmom49
    7 years ago

Last week, two college kids literally walked off a cliff by the ocean here and had to be rescued. One fell 90 feet.

OklaMoni thanked pipsmom49
  • marcopolo5
    7 years ago

eld6161 my GD gave me the condensed tutorial on this game. WOW there is a lot of things to know before starting. It is amazing how the gym locations are shown as places inside and out in your location. Cannot begin to tell you how to play or how they produced that game. Get someone to demonstrate the way it works, very interesting. But too hard for me.

OklaMoni thanked marcopolo5
  • anoriginal
    7 years ago

jasdip... saw a sign (somewhere?) not long ago. Can't remember exact working but paraphrased.... can't kill STUPID people, so just remove ALL the warning signs and let them take care of it themselves.

• adellabedella_usa
    7 years ago

Just got back from vacation. There are Pokemon everywhere as long as you have wifi or cell phone access. My kids love it and it has kept them entertained. It has got them out and walking around when they wouldn't have otherwise.

OklaMoni thanked adellabedella_usa
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    7 years ago

Absolutely no way will I be playing or have anything to do with it. I can tell you that if the scenarios of people being on private property at late night hours around here with what so many have been dealing with and much of the stuff is outside because of the work being done inside there would be some very good chances of injury. That is a very dangerous practice and it is not in any way a game to the land owners. It's going to happen just a matter of time and stupidity.

OklaMoni thanked ravencajun Zone 8b TX
  • User
    7 years ago

Welp, I caved and downloaded it. I got 3 pokemon thingies at the movie theater and one on my way home (my husband was driving) and during the ride I could see there are quite a few in my neighbourhood. I think 9/10 people at the mall I went to (where the theater is) was playing the games on their phones. Apparently, word was out that the mall had tons of them.

OklaMoni thanked User
  • jemdandy
    7 years ago

The Pokemon craze has spawned a new gadget. Its a wrist band similar to a Fit Bit that warns you when there is a Pokemon Monster nearby. The company forecasts it will make a few more million dollars from it.

OklaMoni thanked jemdandy
  • marilyn_c
    7 years ago

No. It doesn't sound like something that I'd be interested in. I can't really understand how it works....but not interested enough to find out. I get enough exercise as it is, and I am outside most of the time anyway. I agree with Raven. I sure wouldn't want to see anyone get hurt, but pokemon-ing around in someone's yard....especially at night....is a recipe for disaster.

OklaMoni thanked marilyn_c
  • User
    7 years ago

I went for a short walk with my daughter so she could show me how to find them. I also learned about the pokemon stops, and didn't know what they were. We went to a movie last night and there were 3 stops and I had no idea what to do.... Now I know.. Anyhow, this is me. My hair is up (well, some of it is) and yes, my bra strap is showing and no, I don't care. It was hot today. :)

OklaMoni thanked User
  • Kathsgrdn
    7 years ago

My son plays when he is bored. Grew up on Pokemon. The other day me, my daughter and he went out to eat late one night and we were talking about it. Went out after we ate into the parking lot and he caught one there. On the way to the restaurant, we passed a KFC, which was a gym...on the way back to his house we passed by the KFC and there was someone in their car parked in the parking lot alone. lol. We figured they were playing as it was around midnight and the KFC was closed.

• lily316
    7 years ago

My grandson was in Rittenhouse square in Philly last week and there were 200 Pokemon kids walking around. I can't see the fascination and frankly think it's very dangerous. I told him never to go on private property. Someone will get shot by a homeowner thinking there's a thief. One girl in this area was hit by a car after she blindly walked in front of it.

• arkansas girl
    7 years ago

Looks like a lawsuit looking for a place to happen. Some kid over here got hit by a car...I'm sure they can find a way to make the driver look like they were at fault...I mean, didn't they see there was a pokemon there? GAH! And how is it they are able to manipulate people so easily into doing something so silly like Pokemon? You won't catch me doing it!

• linda_6
    7 years ago

Nope won't catch me playing. I feel the cops have enough on their hands to cope with. Now they have cope with people playing this stupid game. If they're stupid enough to fall off a cliff or walk into traffic looking for a pretend whatever it is, then they deserve their fate. Sorry but that's the way I feel. I guess this is just another way to remove stupid people from this world.

• Jasdip
    7 years ago

• Sue_va
    7 years ago

I don't have enough time to do every thing I'd like to do, and luckily Pokemon isn't one of then any how. I'm surprised though that no one remembers the old similar game. I wont mention names but I do remember some KTers who did play it. I'm curious too about what are the Pokemon thingies that are found?

• Aprile
    7 years ago

My son and I have been playing it. He got me to try it and I thought it was cute and something fun to do. It gets us out walking together and talking and laughing. He is 28 lol. He even walks our elderly friends dog while he is playing. So the dog gets walked and he catches poke mon,

I don't like to play it while in public places. I will play it while walking around the neighborhood or maybe in the car in a parking lot. I don't drive so it doesn't interfere with anything. I however do not allow the driver to play. Which I have heard of people playing and driving and I think the game should auto shut off if it detects you going over a certain speed which it is capable of doing especially since it uses GPS.

• lgmd_gaz
    7 years ago

A Pittsburgh Hospital is asking the creator to be removed from the game.

From a TV source:

According to a statement from Allegheny Health Network, “The presence of Pokémon Go players in our facilities compromises physical safety, patient privacy, computer security and personal safety.”

The healthcare company is asking the app’s creator to remove them from the Pokémon Go game, so no more players are tempted to come into the hospital.

• phoggie
    7 years ago

My grandson was here last week and he said, "Where is 4th and Neosho...there is a Pokemon there." So we just had to go find it...and did find another couple....but we drove...so did not get any exercise in doing it. I doubt if it is anything that I will be doing again...

• Cherryfizz
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I don't have a cell phone so I don't play and probably wouldn't but at least it gets people out and about. I live close to a park, 2 guys at different times ran up to the side of my house, unlatched my gates the other day and ran in and out of my backyard and then the other day a van pulls into my driveway really quick and drove right up to the side of my house, lucky the garbage bin was there to stop him from hitting the fence but I thought he was going to hit my house. He had a kid in the car and pulled out as fast as he pulled in. I was watching from the kitchen and it scared the crap out of me. I am sure it had to do with Pokemon. I was thinking the other day, what if someone gets hurt on your property despite them not having any reason to be on your property. I pulled out my home insurance to see how much third party liability coverage I had. I see more adults playing this game, driving in their cars than I see kids walking around playing it. I was sure there was going to be an accident on my usually quiet street the other day when cars were turning around. There is a Pokestop at the trail up near the other park at the end of my street.

• adellabedella_usa
    7 years ago

They've updated the game to give out warnings. My daughter showed me one tonight that said not to play while driving. Thank goodness we don't have any Pokemon in our yard.

We have this shopping area with restuarants and some public gathering spaces. There were kids milling around everywhere playing pokeman. It was a friendly crowd, but lots of them.

• arkansas girl
    7 years ago

I think that as long as they aren't hurting anyone (trespassing, driving, running into people, running in front of cars etc) then it is just good clean fun really. If they are going in shopping areas, they will probably end up going into stores and probably buy stuff which is good for the economy. They just need to use common sense. Maybe the game makers could come up with a set of rules to follow. I like the idea they have issued cautions.

• adellabedella_usa
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I heard on the news this morning that you can go on the Pokemon Go website and request a Pokemon stop be removed. Stops aren't automatically removed, but at least it's an option.

• User
    7 years ago

Almost all the "stops" here are our community mailboxes or electrical boxes or a landmark. Not any homes. BUT: you can find pokemon creatures almost anywhere. Mostly on the street in front of peoples homes, malls, the side of a street. I've had them on the lunchroom table at work, and in the parking lot as I enter our store. The "gyms" are usually larger landmark type items, like phone booths (yes, they still exist), monuments and larger landmark type thingies.

Business owners want the stops at their locations and there is a way for them to pay the developers to have them at their business to bring in more revenue. My daughter in law was at the mall and said someone put a lure in her favourite store. While she scooped up several pokemon, she ended up buying merchandise. She wasn't planning on buying anything. So she won (got her pokemon and her xp) and the store won by bringing in a customer who wasn't planning on buying anything. The game is a win-win game for most people.

We went to a movie at one of the larger malls here last night. There are about five or six stops in the mall and a few gyms. And I noticed most people who had their phones out were hunting for items and gyms and when we stopped at the toy store, a pokemon appeared on my screen (which I could not hit with a ball to save my life) and there was a group of kids next to me also trying to get the same pokemon.

I swore I would not download the game. I did. I swore I would not play it in a mall. I did. My husband will even drive around a block to make sure I can get a stop for more balls. I will not play when I drive. That's one thing I will never do. I have never and will never use my phone while driving. But as a passenger all holds are off. :)

• sherwoodva
    7 years ago

I don't play, but what I've heard is that the stops are free for now, to get people excited about the additional foot traffic it causes. At some point, the Pokemon company will start charging for the "stops." Great business model.

• Toni S
    7 years ago

I've played it with my kids and it has given us some great fun! The first walk was at a biotanical garden in Oklahoma. All the art features are where we caught poke balls and the near by plants, are where we caught the pokemon creatures! I think what is so interesting is that most all of the poke balls and other poke stuff are found at ARTsy areas like statues, paintings, structures of interest, churches, theaters, and that kind of area. The creatures can only be caught if you have a poke ball to "throw" at them. So first you have to find an Artsy kinda place, or relavent area to get the balls. And eventually you will find a poke critter or plant or robot thingy to capture. I can't do a battle at a "gym" yet but my kids are rooting me on. Luckly A person has to be going slower than 20 miles per hour to get anything out of the game at all. That's why so many walkers, especially in an Artsy area of town. I live out in the country , so pokemon are pretty rare on our road! There are poke eggs to incubate and hatch. Powerups and evolving to get more powerful pokemon. Lots of details my kids are still telling me about. Son was a pokeee boy, years ago. I think its great for the kids but they really have to be courteous and aware where ever they go. The camera on their phone actually SHOWs the art or place the pokeballs are coming from, once you are there. They are looking at the ART! so thats a plus! As much fun as we've had playing together, I know I won't be going into someones yard. Unless its the number one poke creature that is (heck if I know what that is!)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths