SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
violetwest

Best tasting alternative mayo?

9 years ago

I've always preferred Best Foods mayonnaise. But, I'm looking for healthier choices, and am confused. "Light" mayo? Olive oil mayo? Reduced calorie mayo?

If you have a "healthy" mayo product you like, could you please share?

Comments (51)

• 9 years ago

We use the Best Foods (Hellman's) low fat version for sandwiches, etc, but still use the regular version when I use it in recipes or add lemon juice for artichoke dipping. I figure that an occasion full-fat splurge won't be the killer. The reduced fat tastes ok, it just doesn't work chemically like the regular in some things.

• PRO
    9 years ago

If you want olive oil mayo, you can easily make that yourself, but I recommend using light olive oil as extra virgin can be a bit strong, although I do like it for some recipes.

To reduce the oil and/or calories, you can substitute Greek yogurt or make a mixture of half mayo and half yogurt. I do not like any of the "light" commercial mayos I have tried.

• Related Discussions

Best tasting Pear

Q

Comments (15)
    Hi cckw, your kitchen sounds wonderful. If Barletts can be eaten off the tree then maybe the tree of my youth was that variety but as Scott said there are so many kinds out there we'll never really know. Previous homeowners especially if they're not the original ones tend to forget the varieties planted on the property after a few decades, the house itself was built in 1918 so the property had plenty of history. Now here's the heartbreaking part, I was in the area a couple of years back and decided to check it out. The house, the pear tree and two massive old cherry trees we had were all gone, a giant new housing development has eaten up the entire lot, there's literally no front or backyard left! Enjoy those wide empty spaces while you can, I feel sorry for future generations. Getting back to my philosophy, I understand the need for bulk harvesting and off plant ripening, I grow vegetables including sweet potatoes which have a complicated curing process. I just try to avoid fruit trees that require the same treatment. For example, the avocado variety I grow is Holiday, it takes 18 months to ripen on the tree! Every March it starts its new crop, so there are literally fruits developing on that tree of various sizes at all times! I love that! Each of its giant fruits is like a bottle of wine waiting to be opened at the right time and when you do pick a ripe one, wow, it's the best avocado I've ever tasted! Some of my citrus trees have fruits on them 10 or 11 months out of the year. I grow fruit trees because not only do I love their taste but the ornamental qualities of hanging fruit appeals to me, if it didn't it would be so much easier just to go to the farmer's market and dig in if ripe fruit was my only goal. Hope that explains things a bit better. This post was edited by floramakros on Mon, Jan 27, 14 at 13:05
    ...See More

Sandwich spread - looking for alternative to mayo

Q

Comments (17)
    I forgot to say, I often use leftover spaghetti sauce, gravy or bbq sauce as a sandwich spread too. Chutneys are great as well. Right now I'm working on a jar of my peach-cranberry chutney that makes a fantastic addition to a sandwich, really jazzes it up. My husband loves the sandwiches I send to work with him...he says he doesn't know what I do to make sandwiches taste so good and makes a bit of a game out of trying to figure out what I've put in them. Today, he got half liverwurst with cranberry mustard, mayo, green onions, pepperjack, tomato, lettuce & mayo, and half pepper salami, chopped home cured black olives, cream cheese, shallots, roasted red bell pepper and lettuce.
    ...See More

Next best alternative to short lived STAR Ruby red Grapefruit Trees?

Q

Comments (12)
    STAR Ruby red Grapefruit. People interest in the "STAR Ruby red Grapefruit" may have hope. Very often its the rootstock its grafted to that causes an early demise. I know with kumquats that there are few root stocks that have long term compatibility with the Meiwa making for slow growing and dead trees. A grapefruit can be grown from seed and bud wood of the exact variety could be grafted to it. It might do real well. This applies from zone 10 down to zone 2. Give it a try, Northerner/southerner, and lets see what happens. root stock to kumquat trials. just for an example of incompatibility. Steve
    ...See More

Best tasting baking oil ? Can’t find safflower now

Q

Comments (35)
    Isn't everyone talking about refined oils? Most have very little, if any discernible flavor, IMPE. Unrefined oils, OTOH can have quite strong flavors. I got some unrefined organic canola and sunflower oils from Aldi, and I thought the canola had an unpleasant, strong flavor, while the sunflower has a distinct sunflower seed taste. I often use extra virgin olive oil in baking sweet breads & cakes - usually mixed 1/2 & 1/2 with butter. It makes for very rich tasting results, and nobody has ever said they tasted olives.
    ...See More
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Just Mayo

We found this at Safeway and it's much better than anything else we've tried.

And no egg, for my DD who is quite sensitive to eggs in her diet.

No cholesterol and less fat.

Portion control is critical. Read the label and use the recommended amount for a healthy portion.

If you want to use a commercial mayo, go with the olive oil mayo. Mayonnaise, is after all, fat. So pick a healthier, but real fat.

• 9 years ago

It is a hard one to ween off of. We were Hellman lovers. That was years ago. 15-20 now? Remember trying the manufactured light version. Then made our own. About that time i was using more spice and various mustard combinations that DH started to prefer. Our salad and sandwich spreads became fat-free yogurt, a bit of strong cheeses, lots of mustard, wasabi, horseradish, etc. The same with salad dressings.

It is suggested to stick with your commercial brand in a lower fat choice. Will have some of its flavor, but non of them are a good choice. Just a bit better.

DH was a 'loader'. Probably a 1/4 cup mayo on that first ripe tomato sandwich from the garden. He does not miss it at all now. I use Fage non-fat greek. Not all yogurts are the same. Some are just dreadful.

Not everyone has the time with busy schedules to make fresh, but a 30 second stir of yogurt with mustard, shiracha, etc., all handy, can make a good substitute. I make my own mustards and a 'ketchup' style now with sun-dried tomatoes and beet root powder. Maple syrup for the bit of sweet. Adding more or less yogurt for different condiments, like dill for dipping sweet potato fries, tomato powder and horseradish for crab cakes....but i'm nuts enough to find it fun to make my own condiments.

• 9 years ago

Just something to remember when using a rich mayo based condiment...commercial mayo is around 90+ calories for one tbsp. Then the fats.

Fage non-fat greek yogurt is 130 calories for a full cup, and no fat.

16 tbsp in a cup. 1500aprox calories vs 150aprox.

+we are not calorie counters. We eat anything we want, just smaller portions being over 50 now. Just love our condiments using spice and herbs.

• 9 years ago

The only kind of olive oil that's a specific benefit to your health is EVOO that is recently bottled and kept away from sunshine and heat. It has the solids where the antioxidants, etc., are. Those degrade from exposure to light, air and heat, turning it into just plain olive oil (this is where a lot of the claims of "fake" awhile back came from--the EVOO turned ordinary in the sealed bottles from mishandling). Good EVOO is usually too fragrant and heavily flavored to make a good mayonnaise. It's unlikely that commercial olive oil mayonnaise has any health benefits over safflower mayonnaise. The only advantage of safflower is that it's not soy. The disadvantages of soy are political (GMO unless labelled organic) and if you've had medical issues that have you avoiding soy.

Hellman's/Best Foods makes a "light" mayonnaise with less than half the calories and quite a lot of starch added, a "low fat" mayonnaise with mostly starch, sugars and chemicals, along with some oil, eggwhites and gum. The only thing the "low fat" has going for it is no animal fat in it. All of the Hellman's/Best Foods, including the real mayonnaise, have calcium disodium edta, which is a stabilizer which keeps it from turning color and getting rancid, but which can also bond with and take away the metals in your body, like potassium, which are important to you. None of it should be consumed in great quantity.

For healthier, I think Sleevendog's yoghurt concoctions have a lot of merit because instead of being mostly fat, it's protein and milk solids. OTOH, your body needs some fats. Making your own real mayonnaise is also a idea. One yolk, in theory, can emulsify a massive amount, so if you're trying to cut down animal fat, you can use a single yolk.

If you prefer packaged, the best thing is probably to find one that uses a different stabilizer, like Hain, which uses vitamin e.

• 9 years ago

very interesting comments. My mother made her own mayonnaise -- did not like it, although maybe my palate has matured since then. Maybe the best thing to do is just use the regular mayo I like, but very sparingly.

No dipping artichokes in it! Although, yum!

• 9 years ago

I was a Best Foods mayo lover, always, and still do prefer the taste. But a while, when I pretty much switched to all organic food, ago I started using this. It's different for sure and I wouldn't be dipping any artichokes in it, but I find it satisfactory for tuna/chicken salad or on a sandwich, or for tartar sauce, etc. I like that it's fresh, in the refer section. I can't vouch for their other versions - I always buy the organic version.

Veganaise

• 9 years ago

There are two important things in making your own mayonnaise. One is to get the right spices in the right quantities--unseasoned it just tastes like eggy oil, which is what it is. The other is to make sure the oil is VERY fresh. It's unbelievable how many people's oil is slightly rancid. It's not noticeable to most people if you use a spoonful to cook with, but straight in mayonnaise, it's foul!

You can even use the mayo you like for dipping artichokes--just measure out how much you want to eat first, and don't use any more. :)

• 9 years ago

For artichokes, thin the mayo with lemon juice. Ours is pretty runny.

• 9 years ago

I've tried some of the light mayos and they're nasty. Lighten real mayo - add a beaten egg white to store bought or home made. You'll get a cold sauce mousseline that will be tastier than shop bought. I agree with Plllog that the seasonings and the oil are all important.

Or a light alternative for either asparagus, artichoke hearts or just salad is take a heaped tablespoon mustard ,(I use a mild one), add a small pot of no fat fromage blanc, fromage frais or creme fraiche, season well, add a tablespoon and a half of the vinegar of choice of the moment, and 2 tablespoons good oil of your choice. Shake it up. It will be lovely and thick, creamy and tasty but much lower in calories.

• 9 years ago

If you like Hellman's type mayonnaise, this recipe is very easy and very close to that (although better and without all the horrid additives) if you use light olive oil. You do need reliable eggs that you know aren't contaminated:

http://www.everydaymaven.com/2014/how-to-make-mayonnaise/

EDIT and you can't make a half recipe. I've tried several times and it just doesn't work.

• 9 years ago

I like Hellman's olive oil mayo (well, mayonnaise "dressing"). Tastes fine to me and has about 1/3 less calories than regular mayo. When I first started using it, I didn't even realize it wasn't regular mayo.

• 9 years ago

Just curious, not being indifferent, what do you use mayonnaise for?

I've not used it in a dozen or more years. I just made a yogurt sauce this morning for cod cakes, and a tzatziki for falafel tonight.

Organic, vegan, low fat mayo is still in a jar and processed. On a slice of bread? or a sandwich? Plllogg mentioned we need fat, lol. A sandwich will have some fat. (if cheese and ham)

1/3rd less calorie is still 60 for a tbsp. Have your really measured a tbsp for mayo?

1 cup non-fat greek yogurt

1 tbsp wasabi powder or fresh horseradish

1 tbsp mustard powder or favorite brand

1tbsp tomato powder

tbsp of herbs of choice

So simple and knock your socks off with flavor...adjust if wasabi is to strong.

This can be used as a marinade on chicken breast, on a fillet of fish...take half of it and save the rest on the side. It roasts and toasts beautifully under the broiler...a heaping tbsp in a 1/4 cup of vinegar for a salad dressing...no oil needed at all...(why does salad dressing need so much oil?)

Add a bit of ginger and tsp of toasted sesame oil for an asian sauce or dressing for spring rolls. (just one small tsp of oil)

Just don't get the mayo thing. We get plenty of fat in our diet...love eggs, butter, bacon, bake our own bread,...in moderation once/twice a month.

Breakfast is often granola, yogurt and fresh fruit. On holiday now we are enjoying more eggs for breakfast....so less proteins for supper.

Yogurt spread, to taste, is glorious and rich on/in so many things. One rich cup or two tiny tbsp of icky jar mayo....

• 9 years ago

mostly for sandwiches, tuna salad, and egg salad. Turkey sandwiches are not the same without mayo, imo.

And deviled eggs, but they are a holiday treat and I would never change my recipe--my family would kill me!

• 9 years ago

I'm with you chase! I always use Miracle Whip. It's probably not good for us either though......sigh

• 9 years ago

We like Miracle Whip over mayonnaise too. I believe ours tastes different than the U.S. model. Ours has a nice tang to it. We don't buy it often though because I make our own. Eggs, vinegar, flour, dry mustard, sugar, and water. So easy and so tasty.

• 9 years ago

Home made mayo is esential for :

Eggs, crabs, really good patatas bravas, aioli, rouille, cheat bearnaise.....nothing can replace the taste and feel of a really good, thick mayo. Yum!

• 9 years ago

I use mayo mostly for sandwiches, alternating with a Dijon style mustard depending on my mood (and the lunch meat). I also use it for salads - egg, chicken, etc. but that's far less frequent.

Yogurt spread, to taste, is glorious and rich on/in so many things. One rich cup or two tiny tbsp of icky jar mayo....

I don't find jar mayo icky in any way and while I like yogurt I don't want it on a sandwich.

To each, his own...

• 9 years ago

We are Miracle Whip people too, but on sandwiches I love avocado as an alternative to mayo. It has that same texture and a buttery sort of flavor. They are of course high in calories but amazingly healthy for you. Favorite sandwich - avocado, tomato, cheese and basil. Sooo good. You wouldn't want to use it in everything, but you could also substitute it in some dips as well.

• 9 years ago

Littlemonkeys, that sounds good! I like buying the little net bag of 5 avocados when they come on sale, then I wonder what to do with them all.

• 9 years ago

Avocados are teh DEBBIL! Never, ever will they pass my lips or touch my plate. gross!

I'm serious.

• 9 years ago

BLT+A. Love avocados. Always expensive. I do buy the Costco bag maybe once a year. But ripen all at once. They do freeze well, chopped up with a roasted tomato or two and some lime juice.

• 9 years ago

Jasdip, I never have to wonder what to do with avocados.... so good. Whenever I make guacamole, I use up 3 right away and that's only for 3 of us that like them. Good thing I don't eat them too often, that's a lot of calories.

Violetwest that is blasphemy! Avocadoes are the bomb. :)

Sleevendog I only usually buy them in the 5 pack because they go on sale frequently. It's usually about 5 for $2.50. I usually throw a few in the fridge so they don't ripen as quickly. Thanks for the tip about freezing I never knew that.

• 9 years ago

Littlemonkeys, we like guacamole, which is a standard for avocados, but just one feeding. We also like them sliced on top of a tuna sandwich, and on top of a black bean vegetable dish that I make. The trouble with the 5 in a net, they're green and hard as rocks then all ripen at once. But $3 for 5 vs. 99cents each is a no-brainer.

Hah! Just checked the flyers and they're advertised at 3 for $5 or $1.99 each. Not a chance!

• 9 years ago

Jasdip, It's like cheese, they go on about once a month and then the rest of the month you have to pay double. That's why I refrigerate 3 and keep two out. They will still ripen in the fridge, just more slowly.

• 9 years ago

It is tricky if in the fridge too soon. I do the same, but had a few that remained rock hard forever, had to cut them open, (curious), and were black around the core and the flesh was like a crisp apple. We had a rough winter in NYC and many produce went through up and down temps i'm guessing during delivery. I have a fantastic fridge so not on my end. (i had a crap fridge for years so i know what that is like). I had sweet potatoes do the same. Beauty and firm outside with black rotting centers, ick. I get great produce for the most part, just some odd birds.

• 9 years ago

LOL!! Violetwest, do you like brussels sprouts? We could trade... :)

I live in the land of avocadoes, so I"m picky about them. :) I won't buy the rocks if I can help it. Some won't ever ripen. They go from rock to brown rock. Rather than waiting for a rock hard avocado to ripen, you can peel it (a knife can help) and carve slices or whatever, then run it through a chopper. It doesn't always work, and sometimes you have to add a little lemon juice to get it to loosen up (keeps it green, anyway), but it does eventually get to edible. I try to buy ripe only, but I think it's great that you folks who live in the snowylands can also enjoy them.

Totally agree with all the uses you've mentioned, especially as a spread for sandwiches, but you need bread that will stand up to it. Hearty whole wheat bread is excellent for the purpose. Just lightly mash a quarter of an avocado with a fork and spread. :)

• 9 years ago

glad to see other closet MW users! LOL

• 9 years ago

Whose in the closet? I am proud to admit that I prefer the tangy zip to what taste like butter. LOL

• 9 years ago

Are you looking for an alternative that will taste like mayo or an alternative condiment altogether? I too preferred the "Whip" but I'm fine with Kraft Mayo. I never understood the attraction to Hellman's. It was so bland I wondered why it was on there. I got a little tired of buying a bottle of mayo or MW and having it go out of date (I don't use that much) so one day I tried putting some Ranch dressing on my sandwich. I liked the zing. Very little mayo/MW is purchased here these days.

• 8 years ago

Good tip cynic. That's actually what why eldest son does.

The dressing isn't necessarily any healthier but you can get it in a lower calorie version with less fat at least.

• 8 years ago

I believe violetwest was asking about a healthier choice in a jar, purchased from the same shelf as the Hellman's. No jarred mayonnaise is healthy, even the lower this-n-that ones. Probably seeing all the other choices available sparked the question.

And this is a cooking forum so the obvious answers would be to add some personal choices that really are a healthy alternative. Like homemade that does only take two minutes to make. Can last 2-3 weeks in the fridge, (depending on ingredients like lemon vs vinegar)

Ranch dressing is a zip to make fresh as well. But that is all personal choice. No closets necessary, : )

Forums can go off track a bit, (raises hand), but others, not necessarily the OP, might want to give it a go...like this super easy recipe video,

http://www.seriouseats.com/2011/10/the-food-lab-homemade-mayo-in-2-minutes-or-le.html

• 8 years ago

Ah, I somehow I missed the part about products on the same self. Sorry for getting it so off track Violet, not only one time but twice.

• 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I don't understand the health difference between jarred mayonnaise and homemade once you find a jarred one that's pure mayonnaise rather than with the weird stabilizers (there are plenty out there--Hellman's used to be). In fact, jarred can be healthier since they pasteurize their eggs. You can home pasteurize eggs, but few people do. With pasteurized eggs you don't have the worry that your sandwich will go off before lunchtime. I agree that making mayonnaise is pretty easy, once you know how, but it's still eggs and oil. The yoghurt and avocado suggestions are good choices for something with increased food value.

• 8 years ago

Makes sense. But a bit more to it than pasteurized, sterilized, treated and jarred for shelf stable. Processed. The big producers need preservatives to keep the oil in suspension with the egg. That would be EDTA, Ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid. Said to be safe in small amounts but it is used in so many products that the FDA wants further study and may be doing so, who knows, but i don't want it on our table. The Hellman people say they will be 'cage-free' by 2020, all 350 million eggs. Just means they can stand and turn around. It is a good thing they are pasteurized. : )

It took a while for some to get used to the oil separation in peanut butter, but still is considered weird by most. All the oils are more appealing if suspended with preservatives.

Some of the organic, non-GMO, non-EDTA alternatives are a bit more sensitive to heat and less shelf stable and can separate. No one wants to stir their mayo. All products are allowed 'secret' ingredients. 'Natural flavorings' could be many things including MSG. (i don't really have a problem with msg but some do).

I don't buy mayo so i don't look at the labels. I've had Kensigton at work but it is expensive. If i had a large family, and needed to keep a mayo on hand for quick daily use, i'd pick WildernessFamilyNaturals. Seems a good choice.

(in the gelatinous goop category, lol)

I usually make a German style salad for potatoes, pastas, beans, coleslaws. More of a vinegar, garlic, lemon, spices, a little oil. A plop of yogurt sometimes. I have added a soft-boil egg, yolk firm but not hard. Whizzed it with my dressing. Nice mayo flavor. (this is with eggs that i do not know anything about the supplier).

• 8 years ago

Really? About the peanut butter? I think peanut butter that doesn't separate in the jar is weird...

• 8 years ago

I can't eat eggs therefore Mayo and creamy salad dressings are out for me. I love mayo too. What is a tomato sandwich without mayo or chicken salad? boring that is what. But since my allergy has kicked into gear the slightest amount of egg makes me really ill. So what I have had to do is take greek yogurt and mix garlic, lemon juice and buttermilk and sometimes a dab of sour cream and make my own version of mayo like spread.

If anyone has a vegan suggestion for a good egg free mayo I would be willing to try it as no matter how hard I try to convince myself what I make is better than mayo it really isn't the same as having a good tomato sandwich with mayo and salt.

• 8 years ago

Aprile Clermont Have you ever checked to see if you can eat duck eggs? Some people are only allergic to chicken and not duck. Some are allergic to both of course, but it may be something you could look into and possibly have an allergen test specifically for duck eggs. Despite being higher in cholesterol, duck eggs are actually higher most vitamins and minerals than chicken eggs.

• 8 years ago

No, it has not ever been suggested to try duck eggs as an alternative. I would love to see if it was a possibility as I do love mayo, cream puffs, custards, ice cream all things I can no longer eat because of the allergy. A coconut custard pie yum and how I miss it.

Thank you for the suggestion it is something I will def look into.

• 8 years ago

Aprile Clermont I just found this on backyardchickens "My husband has allergies to. The easiest way to test is to beat up an egg and put a drop onto your fore arm. Wait 5 minutes and check for itching, redness or blisters. Nothing there proceed to the next step. Another drop on another location of the fore arm, but this time take a needle and slightly scratch the surface of your skin. You don't want to bleed, but you want to get under the epidermis. Wait 5 minutes and check again. No symptoms at all do a small taste test by cooking the egg and take only a small bite and wait for at least 30 minutes. You can take an antihistamine prior if you worry, because it may reduce the symptoms, yet it may prevent any symptoms. If you don't get the symptoms you get from chicken eggs then most likely you are fine. Take the duck egg to your allergy specialist, if you are not comfortable testing yourself in the house. They can do the skin test under supervision and they do have medications on hand if you react badly. In general you should be fine doing the skin test, if you proceed as I have described above. "

So you may be able to take the egg to your allergist if they don't have that in their regular testing kit.

The duck eggs will cost you more because it does cost more to produce a duck egg than a chicken egg, but they are far heavier. Mine lay eggs that are about 30g heavier than a jumbo grade chicken egg.

• 8 years ago

Aprile, I linked this above. Have you tried it? I use it exclusively even though I have no allergies. I just feel it is healthier alternative to shelf stable mayo and, while a bit different, it's really quite satisfactory as a substitute. Veganaise

• 8 years ago

+1 for Olychick's suggestion--in fact, I prefer it to mayonnaise! There's many different options, including a soy-free one.

• 8 years ago

Actually the peanut butter comparison is not that far off. (feel free to insert Cliff Clavin voice) : )

One of the most popular peanut butters now has a 1/3rd lower fat version. But the ingredient list is long....40? Lower this-n-that mayo also packs on a long list. Peanut butter should include peanuts, maybe a bit of salt. Mayo is egg, lemon, vinegar, little mustard, oil.

This is the egg-free one that is being sued. (by one of the big kids) Because they acquired some big accounts with WholeFoods, Costco, etc. An old 50's fda rule that mayo should contain eggs.

http://www.amazon.com/Original-Hampton-Creek-Gluten-Dairy/dp/B00LS1PGFO

The reviews are good.

Nice to see so many alternatives. I had no idea.

• 8 years ago

Thank you for all the suggestions. I will def try the Veganaise.

• 8 years ago

I'm dragging up this thread because my hubby traded a woman at work 2 dozen of our eggs for a small jar of Primal Kitchen Mayo. It's crazy expensive though, but I can understand why given the first ingredient is avocado oil. I looked up the price and 3 jars is listed for $30. She does get hers by the case though so it's likely a bit cheaper.

It's real mayo made with avocado oil. I know Violet you think avocados are gross, but just wanted to add this as alternatives. I'll try it today for lunch. I'm not a mayo fan normally so we'll see. Ingredients: Avocado oil, organic cage-free eggs, organic egg yolks, organic vinegar, sea salt, rosemary extract.

• 8 years ago

Very funny article which touches on this subject:

When ‘Local Sourcing’ Means Aisle 12

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/04/dining/top-chefs-say-that-sometimes-only-supermarket-brands-will-do.html?_r=3&ref=dining

• 8 years ago

Excellent article!! Thanks!

The way he [Aaron Bobrow-Strain, the author of an exhaustive new social history called “White Bread”] sees it, arguments about food too often degenerate into a
    false duality between “the virtuous people” and “the pitiful people in
    need of saving who just can’t make the right decisions.”

Soooooooo true!

• 8 years ago

I never did update with how the avocado mayo tasted. To me, it was just like I remember regular mayo tasting like. If you like mayo though and can afford the steep price then I would recommend it. At least the company uses products that seem to come from responsible management and that is not cheap to do.