SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
szut

Greenhouse set up help

All -

I'm looking for feedback on how I plan to set up my greenhouse in MA for fall, winter and spring gardening. I want to grow cold-tolerant veggies through the winter with little heat (I did this in a cold-frame so I know it is possible). I'm planning to grow mostly in-ground. (I plan to leverage greatly the thoughts provided by Karin_MT in her Riga posts. Thanks!)

I'm getting a Riga V (9'8" x 17'6"). I'll have 2 shelves on the north wall - a bottom shelf and a top shelf.

I'm looking for help on how to set up a greenhouse - path selection, insulating in-ground, (also insulating above-ground), etc.

A picture of what I'm thinking about set-up is attached. The bottom of the diagram is south so the greenhouse runs E-W. There is a door on the left (marked with a purple line) and an end window on the right. There are also 4 roof vents.

I'm considering an "L" shaped walkway made of pavers denoted by gray in the diagram. The extra space would be near the door on the west wall. The walkway width is ~ 32". What do others with greenhouse's think? What haven't I considered?

I'm considering putting my water on the right most wall as colored by the blue square. Does that look "right"?

I'm considering having electricity in two locations - one near the door and one near the back wall. I need electricity in the back wall for the fan and want it in the front for a possible light switch. But I could just have it in the back.

I plan to remove some soil (it is predominantly rocky sand) and augment with compost. Probably a 50-50 mix of my sandy stuff to compost but with all "large" rocks removed. What would you do?

I plan to have 2 ft of insulation dug down vertically on the edge of the greenhouse. And another 2 ft of insulation flanged out (similar to what birdwidow describes here.). Have others done this and what have you found? How did you dig down the vertical pieces without messing up the compaction of the soil that will later hold the greenhouse? (This is really stumping me!) Did you do this after the base was installed or at the same time? I plan to do the horizontal insulation (T250) sloped gently and then put a bit of sand on top with maybe flagstone or pavers...

I'm also planning to use "bubble wrap" on the inside of my greenhouse. I definitely plan to cover the north half of my greenhouse (likely not the southern half). How do others attach it? I want it removable for the spring/fall. Has anyone attached it with "t" bolts to the frame? I'd prefer not to use adhesive of any type on the frame or panels of my greenhouse....

For Riga owners - any tips tricks that you advise? How do you handle rainwater on the outside of the greenhouse (is there a "gutter" of any sort)? How do you divert it away from the greenhouse?

Thanks to all for your tips/advice/considerations!!!

Comments (14)