SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
squeakmommy

Pop-up greenhouse for indoor seedlings

squeakmommy
17 years ago

I just purchased a 5 X 5 X 6 ft high pop-up greenhouse. I was interested in transferring some of my seedlings that I started indoors into the greenhouse (things like hollyhocks, bunny tails, etc.) in order to eventually harden them off. I am also running out of room in my house! My plan was to put them in the greenhouse, and as the weather gradually improves, open the doors during the day, to help harden them off.

This is my greenhouse - a floorless basic greenhouse from Flowerhouse:

http://www.flowerhouses.com/greenhouses/planthouse5.shtml

Here's the history of my seedlings:

I started my seeds under lights in a small indoor greenhouse with bottom heat. Once they germinated, I removed the bottom heat, but kept them in the indoor greenhouse. When they developed two sets of true leaves, I transplanted the seedlings to potting soil, but kept them in the greenhouse to minimize transplant shock. After about a week, I removed them from the indoor greenhouse to a sunny south facing window. I watered throughout the process as needed, increasing percentage of plant food as they grew (they are now on 50%). They now look wonderful!

So (finally) here is my question: can I moved the well-established seedlings out to the outdoor greenhouse? Our daytime temps are mid-50s and nighttime temps in the up 30s or low 40s. Should I provided supplemental heat at night, in the form of Christmas lights, an electric blanket, heater, etc.?

Also, I can either place the greenhouse on my deck, which will allow some air in through the bottom between the planks, or in the yard. Which would be better for keeping the temperature modulated and acclimating my seedlings? Also, should the greenhouse be in the sun all-day, or should I position it where is will get a little shade in the afternoon so it doesn't heat up too much?

Thanks for all your help! It was advice from this forum that got me this far with my seedlings, and I want to make sure they make it into the garden.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Greenhouse

Comments (6)