SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
originalpinkmountain

The "holy grails" of food prep

l pinkmountain
8 years ago

Today, I think I have finally mastered the art of making a good cup of coffee! That was one of my "culinary" pursuits for a while. I don't have the time, interest or money to invest in a fancy coffee maker, plus I'm not sure the results would be any better than what I ended up with, so I have finally found a method of making coffee that suits my taste and lifestyle. I use the "pour over" method and my ceramic filter holder is not only broken, it has resulted in SEVERAL awful spilling incidents in my kitchen. So now I am using an Aeropress (which is high grade plastic). I'm not following the directions that came with it, instead I am just doing a modified pour over and it works well. Today, I tried it with my NEW stainless steel filter and "Voilà" it produced the results I was looking for. I'm not sure if it is my imagination or what, but coffee tastes better when it doesn't come into contact with PAPER!

One of my other culinary "holy grails" is bread, both artisan and otherwise. I have found a few recipes I like in Beth Hensperger's "The Bread Lover's Bread Machine Cookbook" but despite investing in a clay baker and a 7 qt. dutch oven, I haven't been able to turn out a good loaf of bread, reliably. Some have been "pretty good" but I'm just not there yet. I imagine I might be better off not using a bread machine but that aint gonna happen with my patience level and lifestyle.

Another quest I am on is to find a good recipe for pear muffins! I can turn out very good muffins most of the time, with a lot of variations, but pear eludes me! I can make good pear upside down cake though!

Some other successes I have had include making good fruit pie that doesn't weep. I haven't gotten Clear Jell yet but I am having luck with a mix of ground tapioca and flour, or just tapioca for thickening. I'm sure I can do better if I find and buy actual tapioca flour or Clear Jell, but so far I haven't taken the time to special order it. I am also par baking the bottom crust for 5 min. with the wet fruit pies and that is helping too.

I mastered canned salsa a couple of years ago, by using paste tomatoes, which results in a thicker salsa without as much cooking down time. But I still quest after good strawberry jam! I can make "pretty good" jam but not the jam of my dreams, lol! I've tried the pectin method, the no pectin method, (which makes a preserve, not a jam) mixing it with apples, and the "old fashioned" method, and they have all come out OK, but just not perfect like I want!

I load up on boneless chicken breasts when they go on sale, for me it is a cheap way to get protein. I've finally mastered the art of cooking it without it becoming tough or stringy! I invested in a meat tenderizer and a coupe of whacks on the thick end really helps, or else I slice it to even out the thickness. I do a couple of recipes like baking it after coating it in Italian dressing and parmesean, marinating it in yogurt, (which I have around more reliably than buttermilk) and sauteing it floured and making a sauce with the pan drippings either creamy or tomato-ey. I also like it stir fried or braised. Anyway, I have a whole series of recipes now and I am happy with how easy and delicious this protein source is. I know I could save even more money by buying a whole bone-in chicken but that just doesn't suit my busy lifestyle and tiny kitchen. I can't tell you how many chicken carcasses I have thrown out that never made it into soup!

So those are some successes and goals that I can think of right off the top of my head. I would be interested in hearing some of yours! So what are your "holy grails?" Bearing in mind that each one of us is entitled to our own tastes and cooking styles!! ;)

Comments (9)