SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elizabeth_loparco

Odd smell: possibly polyurethane floor finish from months ago?

Hello all,

I need major help figuring something out. Recently, probably in the last 3 months, I have noticed a really unusual weird smell in our house. Its not a Horrific smell, but it's unpleasant, and I'd be embarrassed if I had some guests over. It hits you as soon as you walk in. Its not basement smell, not animal pee, not trash, and not really musty. I think it's our hardwood floors on our first floor! We have hardwood floors in the dining room, living room, and front room. The kitchen is ceramic tile. Our upstairs does not have the smell, those floors are painted. We live in a 1930s house. My dad sanded the floors last July, and applied a coat of polyurethane floor finish (can't remember the brand). He DID NOT buff the floors after (not sure why). If you look at the floors, they are streaky with the finish, so it's super thick and sloppy looking (another issue at another time), so with it being slathered on thick and never buffed, could the smell be coming back to haunt me? We've lived in the house since late October last year, so why am I just now smelling it? I put my nose right to the floor, and it's most likely the smell I'm smelling. Is it because the weather is getting warmer and more humid? I didn't smell this at all over the winter. If we rent a floor buffer/polisher and buffed the floors would it get rid of the smell? Help! I just want a normal, "no smell" house!

Comment (1)