SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jo_pyeweed

Looking for suggestions for a climbing rose to replace Mel's Heritage

jo_pyeweed (z9 SF Bay Area)
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Many of you will know that I lost my Mel's Heritage in the space of a few weeks; its demise is unexplained. When you lose a 40-foot rose in a backyard that is 30 feet by 60 feet, it sort of leaves a gaping hole in the garden. Since wilt has been ruled out as a cause, I have decided (guiltily because of the drought) to plant another climber in the spot.

I am looking for suggestions. The rose will be espaliered along the fence. Here are the characteristics/growth habits I am looking for:

1. Ability to send out 20 feet or more canes with short, flowering laterals.
2. Should not get wider than 2-3 feet; Mel's Heritage was less than 18 inches <sigh>.
3. Shade-tolerant; spot gets early morning sun in summer months and then afternoon sun.
4. Should not require summer heat to flower well. While the spot faces south, it's the coolest and windiest location in my garden.

Edited to add that powdery mildew, anthracnose, cercospora and rust are the main diseases here. I don't spray so disease-resistance is important.

I will consider any antique or modern climbing rose in any color. My preference will be for one that I can get grafted; if own-root the rose needs to be available in 1 gallon or larger size and vigorous enough to overcome the lack of summer heat. I'd prefer a repeat-bloomer but am open to suggestions for a once-bloomer.

Some I am considering:

- Peggy Martin or Cl. Pinkie. Cl. Pinkie might get too wide, as I have read that she throws out a lot of basals.

- Crepuscule. If I could get this rose grafted, I wouldn't think twice.

- Alchymist. This rose looks so lovely.

- Climbing Iceberg. I really prefer a loose, airy look, and fear Iceberg may be too "stout".

- Golden Showers

- Snow Goose

As you can see, I am all over the map! And, oh. I'd replace Mel's Heritage in a heartbeat if I could get it in any size bigger than a band.

Thanks,
Jo

Comments (8)