SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tabbyjane

Tomato cages for cucumber trellis?

Tabatha Thompson
8 years ago

Hi! I'm a first timer, so I'm a little confused about a few things. I'm growing a variety of different vegetables in containers of different sizes. Tomatoes (Cherokee Purple and Mortgage Lifter), crookneck squash, jalapeƱos, sugar baby watermelon, and county fair cucumbers. I'm pretty sure, after a month or two of researching here, that I have all of my plants in appropriate containers with well drained and fertilized potting mix. My question is about trellising the cucumbers. Is it possible to do so with a tomato cage? If so, what size? And do you simply let the plant grow UP the trellis? Or can you kind of manipulate it and wrap it around and up, saving space? I'll try to explain what I have pictured in my head here; a vine that I simply spiral around a tomato cage, while still leaving space for airflow and whatnot. Sound possible?

I have a feeling that simply growing straight up would require a very tall trellis that I'm dreading to attempt to build, much less try to harvest from (I'm a 4'10" lady lol). Any advice will help (:

Comments (7)