SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hairmetal4ever

Envisioning a plan for mixed border of trees?

hairmetal4ever
8 years ago

’m pretty good at getting things to grow and even thrive. What I’ve never been good at is the design aspect, the “envisioning” it.

I’m lot-shopping. This post is just my brainstorming as of now...but humor me!

One potential lot is open farmland right now of 3.3 acres. So I’d have a lot of work to do. I’m trying to envision an alternative to the typical GG Arbs or Leylands in a row that most people use as a border – nothing against them, I just like to be different. I’d rather have a more typical lawn near the house, then, out further, maybe an orchard and veggie garden, but the outer part of the property, rather than lawn with dots of trees, I’d do a “mixed border” of trees around the property that looks half-natural, half-managed. Plant a mix of large growing canopy trees, plus some understory plantings, that sometime down the road, will obstruct the view, but at the same time, look more peaceful and natural. I don’t want it to turn to dense woods, outside of the underplantings I put in, I’ll probably mow underneath and just let it self-mulch at that point. I’ll probably plant some grass initially to provide some cover, and let it eventually die out over the years as the trees and shrubs grow larger, but continuing to mow to knock down other vegetation and keep it semi-managed, as well as walkable and useable.

A – is anyone envisioning this the way I’m trying to describe it?

B – am I best off hiring a landscape architect, describing my idea, and letting him/her present a plan?

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living