SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chelwa

1.5 story straw bale floor plan

chelwa
8 years ago

Continued from this thread.

We are in the early planning stages of building a house. We have land (80 acres) in a rural area near the Columbia river gorge in western Washington state. The walls are shown extra thick because we are currently considering straw bale construction. Areas where walls are thinner is to keep wet areas away from the straw. These plans will go through an engineer to make the timber frame work and possibly through a local architect who is familiar with straw bale to make that work.

We got a lot of great advice in the previous thread and we feel like the 1st floor is just about there. I would love advice on window placement for both floors. We would like to keep most of the window area on the south side but some smaller windows on other sides to help with natural lighting as needed. I am also wondering if the West door should be directly in front of the stairs or if I should slide it south a bit?

I have added the 2nd (.5 story) floor plan. We are planning on ~3-4 ft stub walls and a 6 in 12 pitch roof. So it will be about 11' high under the peak which runs E->W. Right now we have two, probably shed, dormers planned, centered on either side. With a few solar tubes or skylights for additional light.

There is some flex space upstairs which I think will work well for us. We will be able to use it for a guest bed, play/craft area initially and then it can morph as the kids get older and interests or needs change. As you can see a small area is currently set aside as a bouldering cave for practicing rock climbing. This is my daughter's main request and something that the whole family would make use of.

If you see something that would significantly reduce building costs or help us get more for our money we would love to hear it.

Comments (18)