SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kriszs

Advice needed about inspection report

krisz
9 years ago

After 3 years of searching for a home, we have a contract on a house built in 1988. The inspection report concerns me, and I would appreciate advice about it.

I pointed out to the inspector an area in the dining room where the flooring felt uneven. The inspector agreed it was uneven. His report says "unable to view the subfloor in this area, ceiling directly on floor joists visible in utility room in basement with no major movement indications found. No major indicators of water damage." His explanation was there may have been heavy furniture sitting on that area. That seems unlikely to me since the area is partly in a traffic pattern. I'd say the area is about 2 feet by 2 feet, although I didn't measure it. I am concerned about this, but am uncertain what to do next.

The other problem is with the windows. The report says, "Most original casements either stuck on frame or have damaged rubber frame seals." Some of the windows won't open, others won't close completely. The inspector said a window contractor should look at them and give an estimate. Does that seem like the thing to do? Is it reasonable to ask the seller to pay for repairs?

There are other minor problems that don't scare me. Overall the inspector said the house had been maintained better than average.

Thanks for your advice.

Comments (12)