SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
natives_and_veggies

Just started my 50th birthday present

100 crinum seed bulbs. If I get half of them to germinate, I'm going to cover my yard, my friends' yards and random strangers' yards with crinums and there will be a lot of flowers five or six years from now.

I was motivated to do this when I was looking around my yard, thinking about things I planted years ago and how great they look, and how long it took for them to look great. This included a crinum that just won't stop. It's an Ellen Bosquet and it's stunning and makes me happy, because my grandmother first introduced me to crinums and I've always thought of the first bulb I planted here as my grandmother's crinum, though I put it in the ground five years after she died. (If you gave up on crinums because of pests, you might try this one, which seems immune to pests I fight on the rest of them.)

I'm going to spend this year gardening with my 50th birthday in mind. Gardening can yield such instant gratification - look how pretty that mulched bed filled with broms looks - or seasonal gratification - man that's a good tomato. And I'll keep doing those things, along with spending a little bit of time each weekend pulling vines and battling the jungle. But I'm going to make a point of looking for things I can do that I'll be glad I did six years from now. Wish I had room for another tree, but I'll try to baby the fig bush, hoping it might yield something by the time I'm fifty.

(If anyone is interested in a great deal on crinum seed bulbs, the eBay seller bulbsnmore has a 40-seed grab bag, with a guarantee of at least six varieties. They come labeled by variety and he sent me more than twice as many seed bulbs as he promised - and most already had a little root shooting out, a good sign. I also ordered a couple more mature crinum bulbs - looking for that 48th birthday present - and he sent a "bonus" bulb. I've ordered from him before and been really happy with the results. He's in north Florida, near Jacksonville. I've never met him, so this is not a plug for a buddy. Just pointing out a great experience I had with someone who seems to really enjoy growing crinums.)

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor