SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
inamemytrees

Small black bugs on my Pink Lady

inamemytrees
8 years ago

Hello everyone, I just recently got married, and one of our wedding presents was a pink lady apple tree. They planted it for us about 4 weeks ago, maybe 5, and it has seemed to be very happy so far. She has been busy putting out new leaves over most of the branches and looking pretty healthy. However when I went out for my every other day inspection of the tree I noticed a large collection of very small black, round bugs on just the leaves and stems. They were not collected on the branches or trunk at all. When I ran my fingers over some they pull off and disintegrate, but when I sprayed them with the hose, they did not want to come off very easily. I got the majority of them off, but by then I had a good amount of standing water at the base of my tree and I don't want to drown her. I broke the ring and drained off the excess so that's not an issue.

Can anyone tell me what these insects are? Are they harmful? How do I get rid of them? Is there a spray? I really don't want to lose this tree as it was a gift and I'm sure it wasn't cheap. I'm sorry the quality of the photo is low, I took it with my phone before our thunderstorms blew in this morning.

There are are probably 5 or 6 dozen of these bugs on my leaves and new stems. Please advise and help me keep Cindy healthy

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Ramos Timber
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Westerville's Top Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Tile & Stone