SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greasetrap_gw

Reality Check on Change Order Prices

greasetrap
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

I recently signed a contract for our kitchen renovation and am already getting into change orders. So far the prices seem to be slightly high, but not unreasonable to me. I thought I would draw on the accumulated wisdom of this forum though, to see what others think.

To start, we're using full-inset cherry cabinets from Candlelight Cabinetry with a special glaze added over the finish, and level 2 granite countertops. Our original island plans called for a 21" sink base and 21" cabinet on one side of the island, and a 42" cabinet on the other side. It turned out though that the sink we chose requires a 24" base for an undermount installation, and, since we had enough space, I asked our contractor to make the island 6" longer using 2 24" cabinets on the sink side, and a 48" cabinet on the other side. The additional cost for this comes to about $550 pre-tax. Since our contract calls for a 20% markup on materials (10% overhead & 10% profit), this would imply that our contractors cost for the change would be about $460.

Meanwhile we're installing a hood liner with a cabinet over it. I noticed that the hood shown on the drawing was a bit shallow, and discovered that it used a specially-made Modernaire liner that's 20 5/8" deep. I requested an upgrade to MA's deepest liner (22 1/2" which I know is still too shallow, but it's the best I could do without getting into a custom order situation) and also asked that the roof fan be upgraded from 1,200 to 1,500 cfm. The pre-tax and pre-markup prices for these changes came to about $165 for the liner, $200 for the deeper cabinet and $195 for the fan.

In any event, before getting into any other changes, I'd appreciate hearing any opinions that others might have on this pricing.

Comments (5)