SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aimskitchen_gw

Defective cabs, re-order and reality check

aimskitchen
11 years ago

I would appreciate input on the situation we're dealing with on our partially finished remodel. Two of the cabinets - one that runs next to the pantry, and one that is to the right of the cooktop (upper) came mistakenly without the sides finished. The contractor called the KD and without checking with us, ordered a "skin" that when we questioned, were assured by both would be as durable as a factory finish and as good a match. Today, two weeks later, they were installed, and they do not match at all. The whole run of upper cabs, including undercab LCD lights, is installed, and if we take out the one next to the cooktop, at the wall end of the run, I think they all have to come down (am I right about that, or can they slide that one out after undoing the lights?). I am imagining more $$$ and considerable grumbling from the contractor, and wondering if it will damage anything to remove them. We are reordering both cabs nonetheless. This may mean my husband has to finish the work.

We are also wondering what is normal in the construction world in terms of quality and neatness. For the most part his work is good, but not the degree of neatness and perfectionism my husband does himself when remodeling. However, he is not neat at all - left my new base cabs uncovered while he worked and they are filled with plaster dust and even globs of plaster. Countertops being put on Monday and I guess I have to clean them out myself. I am concerned about him replacing the upper cabs with the granite countertop in place - and at this point, even about the tiling being done. Do contractors usually clean up after themselves? Was it normal for him to go ahead and installed the cabs without first notifying us that they were not what we ordered and clearly deficient?

Comments (5)