SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jbell2015

New Spring Growth browning and wilting on Dr. Ruppel - VERY NEW GROWTH

Jamin Bell
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hi all,

I'm writing because I have some concerns about my Dr. Ruppel clematis. I planted it last year in a pot on a 2nd fl patio with 2 other perennials - heucherella - in a good location where it receives some morning sun and evening sun from the sides as the deck faces due north. The Dr. did beautifully in its first season, blooming relentlessly in June and sporadically throughout the summer, and climbing up the center beam on the deck where it received even more sun. I've been looking forward to its return all winter thinking that it'll be bigger and better than ever with a winter rest. I did a light pruning in early spring, about the end of March to be more precise, and cut back 2 broken stems that were new from last years growth and practically broken off due to winter wind. All looked promising for the spring with buds on old growth that seemed ready to get going once the warmer weather arrived. In April, when the warm weather started to break through, I started feeding a little with my usual bat guano solution, which the Dr. seemed to enjoy last year, and at the beginning of May, emerged, and just peaking out at the crown, two new buds indicating new stems and spring growth.

Well, in my haste to get the patio ready for the spring, I went out and bought a white caladium to add to the pot for color contrast and planted it next to the Dr. Perhaps I disturbed its roots a little because I essentially squeezed the caladium in and after a week or two the very small and new growth that was peaking through started to brown and wilt. Additionally, the buds on the old growth have done nothing at all and it's already May 7th and practically 80 degrees. Now I may be an anxious garden, given what I just did with the caladium and all, but I'm willing to wait if there's promise that the clematis will reshow itself. I don't want to wait too long though b/c I have only the summer and fall months in DC to enjoy. I don't think the Dr. is dying, but I do think it may be hurt from the disturbance. I know, what can I do but wait!? But I was wondering if anyone has had an experience like this where the clematis roots have been disturbed and new spring growth has kinda flopped, and can offer advise on what I can do to heal if not encourage the Dr. to get going again? Any advice, mostly to sooth my nerves is greatly appreciated. I really like this clematis, and I don't want to yank it, but I'm just scared that I've lost my chance to enjoy it this year.

Comments (5)