SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ninagarsh

I'm new here! I would love some advice for Raspberries!

ninagarsh
8 years ago

So I am a relatively new gardener, I've only been active for a couple years now. I like to grow things I can eat, but I still have a long ways to go on learning everything. Sorry if my post seems long winded!!

I am confined to an apartment balcony, it's got a lot of space for containers. I have about 16 plants, most being in 5-10 gal pots. I prefer to use organic methods. I have had a lot of luck and all but my raspberry canes are beautiful and healthy.

I bought this raspberry plant at TLC about 2-3 months ago, it was doing extremely well with new growth, it's growing new canes for fruit next year, bright big foliage and blossomed like crazy. It set a large amount of fruit, but since we had that really cold and rainy week about 2 or so weeks ago, all of the leaves are dying except for the leaves on the new canes. They almost look scorched. I don't know if this plant needs more shade, or if there is a disease. The problem doesn't seem to be spreading to other plants or the new canes.

The variety I have is called Canby, which apparently originates in Oregon. It claims to be hardy in our zone. Has anyone else in the area been successful with this variety or did I screw up in buying a plant that doesn't do well here?

Let me know if you guys want a photo, thank you so much for taking the time to look at my post!!

Ps: my balcony faces west, I don't get direct sunlight until around 12-1pm which I get until the sun sets and the raspberries are planted in a 8-10gal square plastic pot. I check the soil moisture every day or so from the top and bottom before making the choice to water. The soil is very light and well draining, and according to my PH tester I have it at 6.9!

Comments (3)