SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dublinbay

Come visit my early spring garden

dublinbay z6 (KS)
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Too wet out there today to do much of anything but take pics while the skies are still overcast. The garden isn't in full bloom yet, but there are buds everywhere and several eager beavers throwing out blooms already. Please enjoy!

Couple overviews first, mostly from the center bed in the backyard. Sara--are you there? That yellow rose all in bud in the center, is Berolina. Note two of her buds extending center bottom of the picture. Can't wait for her to burst into bloom.

The center bed is where my Perfumed Path (fragrant HTs) is located also. Here you can see Double Delight on the right and Elle next to it. For the record, the big green bush in the center is a paniculata hydrangea--really showy my mid and late summer.

Center bed from a different angle--shows off the curve of the bed. (Again, the big green bush is paniculata hydrangea, a later season bloomer.)

Here's a couple of Elle (HT)--in the spring she is more apricot and yellow, in the hot summer, more pastel pink. Love the half-opened blooms that show off the yellow.

Elle in bud

Double Delight--I rarely can get the reds right on this rose. Had to tone her down to stop the bleeding, but in my garden she is blazing red around the edges.

Moving on to other beds, here is a lovely vignette right by my back door. I see it every time I walk outdoors.

Pretty Jessica (Austin) in bud, pansy-viola hanging basket behind it, and big tetraploid iris.

Another vignette closer to the house.

Easter Basket (floribunda) center front (she is in her pale yellow mood--pink flushes to come later), Cora Stubbs peony in pink (center), and a few buds of Scepter'd Isle (Austin) to the left. I always stick dark purple pansies in there for contrast.

Here's Well Being, a lovely golden shrub with traces of red accents. She getting overwhelmed in the west corner of the yard by the long arms of the forsythia and other semi-wild stuff growing around her. I plan to transplant her into the center bed shown above so she can better strut her stuff.

I showed this one in another thread, but it is appropriate here since it was the first rose to bloom in my garden this year: Fru Dagmar Halstrup (rugosa).

That's it. Hope you enjoyed the early spring tour. : )

Oh, for the record, the first bloom in my garden was actually Home Run, but she is out in the front yard, not in the back yard where the gardens are, so it doesn't really count.

Kate

Comments (20)