Another story on my blog
11 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (7)
Related Discussions
Another Winter Story
Comments (12)I remember those times as well. My parents were reluctant to permit regular playing cards in the home, the ones with kings, queens and jacks. The were religious and thought that a regulation deck of cards might promote gambling. Instead, a Rook deck was available. The rook deck has 4 suits, each a different color and 15 cards per suit. The cards are numbered from 1 to 15. Various games were played, some similar to the games played with a regulation deck. LOL. The standard treat was popcorn prepared in a skillet on a wood fired kitchen range. The favorite popping oil was bacon fat. There was a ready supply of bacon fat saved from breakfasts that often included home cured bacon or ham. Often, the popping oil was 50% bacon fat and 50% cooking oil. On cold winter nights, popcorn balls might be made. After the balls were formed, the warm messy balls could be taken out on the porch to cool in the frigid winter air. We grew most of our popcorn. We had a large vegetable garden and a section of it was allocated to popcorn. About 1/3 of the garden was planted in potatoes. These were harvested in the fall. A bushel of potatoes were kept out for immediate use and the rest stored in a "potato hill". I still remember how to construct a potato hill and it can keep potatoes from late September to late March before it begins to fail. The dirt walls of the hill must be thick enough to protect the potatoes from freezing and the potatoes must be able to receive heat from ground under the hill....See MoreNew Story on my Blog
Comments (5)Thank you again for sharing with us. Finding something here from you to read was a perfect way to end my day. Please let me tell you how much we enjoy your writing and your efforts....See MoreNew Story on my Blog
Comments (8)To rhizo, I'm baffled--I thought the boarding school story was on the blog, then looked on KT, then looked for it in my word processor files. I CAN'T find it, but I know it is somwhere. I'll give it a rest and look again. I have been writing some things for the 150th anniversary of my high school and I think it should be in there, too. A mystery. My brain is mushy today, I think. I'm going downstairs to play some sort of dice game-maybe that will brighten me up....See MoreFinally-Another Post on my Blog
Comments (3)Are you using the link option down below the reply box? I have found just doing a copy and paste of the url in the body of the post works too. Good for you glad you are still writing!...See More- 11 years ago
- 11 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
Related Stories

REMODELING GUIDESMovin’ On Up: What to Consider With a Second-Story Addition
Learn how an extra story will change your house and its systems to avoid headaches and extra costs down the road
Full Story
COLORWhen Color Could Kill: Stories From the History of Paint
Delve into paint's storied past — what you learn about its history and modern incarnations may surprise you
Full Story
ARCHITECTURETell a Story With Design for a More Meaningful Home
Go beyond a home's bones to find the narrative at its heart, for a more rewarding experience
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNSoapstone Counters: A Love Story
Love means accepting — maybe even celebrating — imperfections. See if soapstone’s assets and imperfections will work for you
Full Story
HOUSEKEEPINGDon't Touch Another Stain Before You Read This
Even an innocent swipe with water may cause permanent damage. Here's what to know about how rugs and fabrics react
Full Story
COLORThe Stories Colors Tell
A purple fit for a king, the blue of a faraway sea ... learn about the meanings of colors to help your rooms follow the right plot
Full Story
SHOP HOUZZTell a Story With Wallpaper
Write your own design narrative with expressive wall coverings that set a mood
Full Story
INSIDE HOUZZTell Us Your Houzz Success Story
Have you used the site to connect with professionals, browse photos and more to make your project run smoother? We want to hear your story
Full Story
LIFEGive Your Home a History by Telling Your Story
Share your family's epic saga — or even just kiddie doodles — for a home that's personal, meaningful and inspiring
Full Story
sjerin