SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eternal_butterfly98

Need help finding out what's wrong with my plant and how to heal it.

Tifani Crawford
9 years ago

I bought it discounted at a store a few months ago. I lost the plants label, but if I remember correctly, it said it was a musa banana leaf plant. It was already sickly when I bought it, but its leaves were in pretty good condition and I felt that I could nurse it back to health. Things seemed to go smoothly for a few weeks until suddenly its leaves started to drop and become discolored.
At first, I suspected over-watering because I was watering it nearly every other day. Realizing this, I searched online and and replaced the soil (most of the soil was replaced but I didn't have enough to fill the pot so I had to use some of the old soil as well), cleaned off the roots, and checked if they were soft like many of the websites said. The roots didn't feel to be soft at all when I checked them, and other then one root being slightly cracked, they all seemed to be in good health.
After carefully replanting and softly packing in the soil, I placed the plant in my kitchen where I get the most sunlight in the house. (I have lots of plants the house and they all seem to thrive and are pretty happy when placed in the kitchen). I did not water the plant after replanting it because I was afraid it would kill it if over-watering is the problem.
Two days later however, the plant became even droopier then it was before, and the brown rims are starting to spread. I decided that maybe I should have at least gave it a little bit of water with the new soil, so I gave it a cup and a half of water which seemed to sink instantly (other then the dark shade that shows in the photos). The pot is fairly large compared to the plant and has two small draining holes on the underside of the pot.

Any ideas on what might be the problem with my plant? Was it over-watering?

What should I do to help my plant become healthy again? Or should I just wait and see what happens?

Thank you for taking the time to read this and help me. I greatly appreciate it.

Comments (2)