SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
whirlwindgirl

Is it worth 4x as much?

I'm looking at wall mount light fixtures to go over the medicine cabinet (no room for side sconces) in our upcoming hall bathroom remodel. I found a fixture I like for over $400. And a similar one for under $100.

I prefer the looks of the expensive one, of course. But maybe not $300 more. It seems like the more expensive one would be better made and more durable. But would the cheap one last ten years and the expensive one forty? Would I likely want to replace the fixture in ten years? Seems likely we would be repainting and possibly refreshing the bathroom with new hardware and such at the point anyway?

What would you consider in deciding between the two?

Comments (57)

• blfenton
    8 years ago

I don't know which is which but I like the top one better. It has more presence.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    8 years ago

I agree with Fori-the first one is a popular look nowadays. Unless you are in a rush, take your time. If you like them both equally (and I think you need to see both in real life), then I would be hard-pressed to spend so much more on something I did not like that much more. I am always willing to pay more for quality as long as I love it; otherwise I don't.

• Related Discussions

4x4x8 bed, How much mix?

Q

Comments (3)
    Approx. 10.7 cubic feet of fill total. Using Mel's recipe that would be about 3.6 cubic feet each of vermiculite, peat moss and compost. You already have all the peat and vermiculite you need. Now you just need to figure out a weight to volume conversion for the compost you already have. That's the tricky part - I would just suggest eyeballing or measuring the bag dimensions.
    ...See More

How much dirt mix to fill 4X4 bed?

Q

Comments (2)
    Thanks for the quick reply! I actually have four of these 4X4 (12" deep) beds to fill and I do have a full size pickup. I think the last time I got dirt it was something like a cubic yard total?
    ...See More

What to do with 200 4x4' terra cotta Talavera tiles?

Q

Comments (5)
    I never got a detailed invoice but when I talked to the tile in-house designer originally, I remember she checked prices and it was about $5 a tile. I got the floor and ceiling tile from them also and because the talavera was an accent and we didn't order a large quantity, I didn't price it anywhere else. Thanks for the ideas.
    ...See More

How much cubic feet of soil do you need to fill this 4x4 bed?

Q

Comments (9)
    Depends on what type of soil you use to fill the raised bed as to how "fluffy" it might be and how much it might compact. A mix of garden soil and compost might be the fluffiest and it will settle some but to expect to lose 25% of the volume to settling is excessive. And if you use a bagged planting mix, it will settle even less, as those tend to be more compacted/condensed in the bag to begin with. Volume is volume and if the basic math calculation to fill the bed is 12 cubic feet and you use 6 - 2cf bags to fill, you have your 12 cubic feet. If the soil is more fluffy, it will just appear to be more than you need, then settle to the expected amount. Not sure where any calculus enters the equation..........
    ...See More
  • jlc712
    8 years ago

I much prefer the first one. However, it all depends on budget and how important it is to you. I would not spend $400 on a bathroom light fixture unless I passionately loved it, and it was unusual. I'd keep looking till you find the right balance of looks and price.

• Nothing Left to Say
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

You have all guessed correctly that the top one is the more expensive fixture, which is somewhat telling. Both are available in chrome. I have seen many similar and have about worn out the internet looking, but the first is the one I like the best. I actually would likely use it as a two light fixture (which is cheaper at about $320) because I like it more in that configuration--I posted the three light version so it would be a more straightforward comparison. I would still get it in polished chrome.

I think part of my question is, even setting aside looks is there a true difference in how well the fixture will function or last? I can't imagine there is a difference in function? So then will a more expensive fixture generally last longer?

Thank you!

• palimpsest
    8 years ago

I priced one that I was considering for one of the bathrooms and it priced at over $3000, if that makes you feel any better about spending $400.

(Not that I am going to spend $3000....idon'tthink)

• 1929Spanish-GW
    8 years ago

Only you can decide the value. That being said, the second one looks like three faucets holding lightbulbs. I would keep looking.

Speaking of faucets, I found great Newport Brass faucets for my kitchen and patio on eBay for 10% of list price. It took a long time and a lot of looking, but it was worth it. I look people that are selling extras or who have changed their minds.

• Fori
    8 years ago

I like that brass finish (totally off topic I realize). What is the manufacturer?

The cheap one will last just as long, especially in chrome. With more finicky finishes, like....brass in a bathroom, you could have finish issues. Mechanically they're all going to outlast your love for them if they are regular old incandescent type sockets.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    8 years ago

is there a true difference in how well the fixture will function or last?

Well, I currently have the horrid 1970s builder-grade pseudo-theatrical-dressing-room strip lights in the master bath here, and except for a spot where someone evidently tried to scrub the finish many years ago, I'm sorry to say it's still just as good as the day it was put in.

• Nothing Left to Say
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Palimpsest, sometimes I wish I could unsee expensive options.

Fori, I originally found that fixture on the barn light electric website. It is also sold on shades of light for what appears to be slightly less--though I have not compared shipping costs or return policies.

I was originally thinking of two sconces at around $125 each. So I would not be hugely over budget. On the other hand, less money spent is always better.

Thank you for the input everyone!

• rockybird
    8 years ago

I like the top one the best also. Are there any offers for percent off if you sign up for email notifications with the online store? Or any coupons? When I was buying stuff for my house, I even called up some of the online dealers and bargained over the phone to get what I wanted. This was when the economy was still recovering though.

Here's a link to some similar ones on lampsplus. Maybe one of those would work?

http://www.lampsplus.com/products/bathroom-lighting/style_traditional/finish_chrome/

• jlc712
    8 years ago

These are very similar:

http://www.lampsplus.com/products/nicholas-collection-polished-chrome-15-inch-wide-bathroom-light__m8811.html

http://www.lampsplus.com/products/tafalla-collection-15-and-one-quarter-inch-wide-bathroom-light-fixture__h8918.html

Not quite as nice as your selection, but awfully close, and less expensive, for a hall bath fixture no one will probably pay much attention to.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    8 years ago

Only you can decide if you are going to get enough pleasure out of the fixture to offset the increased cost. When we were building, the architect was pushing us to get an 8 light door, but we went with the 6 instead because for us, it didn't make enough of a difference in looks to offset the 4x higher price we would have had to pay.

Light fixture lives are pretty much indefinite and get swapped out far more often due to a dated look, not because they fail to work.

All of the fixtures below are from lighting direct...and the uplights are reversible to downlights.

$157

$149.99

$149

$239

$98

• Nothing Left to Say
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you all for the help and especially for the alternatives!

• justgotabme
    8 years ago

I think jlc. Nailed the first one you originally posted at a much better price. As for how long it will last? As long as you want it too. Light fixtures can always be rewired.

• chispa
    8 years ago

I think if you were able to see, touch and hold the light fixtures you would notice a difference in the quality and materials. I redid my master bath a few months ago and did a lot of research, which included seeing and touching the items I wanted before I bought them. One of the items where I felt it was worth spending more was for towel bars and hand towel rings. The more expensive ones were made of solid metal, compared to the plasticky hollow feel and sound of the cheaper ones. Not as big an issue with a light fixture as you usually don't reach and touch them every day!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    8 years ago

Yes, chispa, the disney technique. Apparently at disney, if it's touchable, it's real. If it's beyond reach, it's faux.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    8 years ago

Would the Pottery Barn Covington Hotel Triple Sconce at $229, and 21" wide x 6.5" deep x 10.5" high, which comes in a chrome finish, be an OK substitute?

There's one on eBay for $179.99 with $19.99 shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/POTTERY-BARN-Covington-Hotel-TRIPLE-Bath-Sconce-CHROME-NEW-/131452543133?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0amp;hash=item1e9b2ea09d

Now that I have gone back and read more, I see that you want a double. $189. at PB.

http://www.potterybarn.com/products/covington-double-sconce/?pkey=cbath-lighting&

• lascatx
    8 years ago

Writersblock, our last house had those Hollywood stip lights. We were moving with a kindergartener and a toddler, a second mortgage until the house sold, and young and frugal. If IRC, one had some of the finish failing and was starting to look kind of rusty or corroded. I took them down and spray painted them in bright colors to go with their rooms -- little boy red and bright blue. I figured we'd change them later, but they went with the house when we moved.

OP, I feel certain that either of the fixtures are better than what I'm used to seeing builders use and as you can see, they will continue to work 10-20 years no problem, but the first thing to go will likely be the finish. Higher quality fixtures will typically have a better finish.

I went back and reread your original post. I thought you had told us the first one was the more expensive one. I'm not seeing that now.

• Nothing Left to Say
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I deliberately left which one was more expensive vague in my initial post, but other posters guessed and I confirmed in a follow up post.

I think this (identified by a couple of other posters) is the best compromise:

Though I still wonder if there will be a difference in quality that is noticeable to me.

I have started trying to identify the rest of the accessories, etc.

This Brizio is the current front runner for the faucet:

And this from Pottery Barn for the medicine cabinet:

Thanks again everyone!

• lascatx
    8 years ago

I might favor a fixture with more curve with that faucet. Or a more angular faucet with that fixture and medicine cabinet. A thought...

• theclose
    8 years ago

I think everything is going to look great! I think you should look at both to see if it is worth the splurge. Might you want to replace it down the line, sure. But I look at things as forever investments. So I would go with the one you love. If it is the compromise in your last post, then great. But if you feel strongly one way or the other, then go with your gut!

• Nothing Left to Say
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I don't know. When all the shapes are exactly the same, it gets a little matchy matchy? Like a Gymboree outfit for little girls.

The rectangular backplate on the light will echo tile shape. And the arch that connects the sconces to the backplate echoes the arch in the faucet.. . . .

• LE
    8 years ago

"... worn out the Internet looking.."

Oh boy, how I can relate to that!

• busybee3
    8 years ago

even the very cheap Hollywood lights last for a long time... i think the finish on cheaper versions might not be as durable, but since people don't touch and clean lighting in the same way as you do faucets, it's not as impt... i definitely like your 1st pic more than the 2nd, but don't necessarily like it more than some of the other pictures shown...

but, the rectangular wall plate looks more prominent on the less expensive version you last show- in that way i still prefer the more expensive one...

i like the 3 light options generally more than the 2 ... and i usually think having more light than you think you will need is better than wishing you had more!

• lascatx
    8 years ago

crl, true. I'm not a matchy matcy person at all -- put three cabinet finishes, three fixture finishes and two hardware finishes in my kitchen. I do tend to look more closely at bathroom fixtures and faucets because they are seen together. Doesn't mean they need to match, but I want them to play nice.

Busybee3, I think you hit on it. The simplicity of the backplate in that one lets it stay in the background and anchor the fixture visually as well as structurally, but it doesn't compete for attention.

• justgotabme
    8 years ago

I think you're selections will work very well together.

• Nothing Left to Say
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I agree that the backplate on the very first one I posted is a lot of why the fixture is more appealing to me. It is very simple and there is something really nice about he way the individual sconces are connected to the backplate (that connection is more visible in the two light version, which is why I prefer it for that fixture).

I have not made my final choices at this point, I'm still mulling over how much I care about the differences. Thanks again everyone!

• sixkeys
    8 years ago

I didn't read through the entire thread, but I used the same medicine cabinet from Pottery Barn. I used the 2 light option from Kichler for $109 above the medicine cabinets. I also used this three light option from Murray Feiss in a different bathroom - $143.

• Oaktown
    8 years ago

crl_, would you have time to go to a local lighting showroom to view the quality difference for yourself?

When planning our bathroom we were looking at some different Hudson Valley sconces. A major catalog retailer made some similar looking ones that were considerably less expensive. After seeing in person (and touching) each of the sconces we sprung for the HV ones; the other ones were "plasticky" and we had some concerns about the finish.

A local lighting store also might be able to give you a deal? Our fixtures cost less from the store than anywhere I could find online -- that was with a contractor's discount, though.

Good luck!

• Holly- Kay
    8 years ago

I like the first one posted four times better. It definitely appears to be a classier, better made fixture. I also love it in the brass version (I know that's not what you want).

Would you be willing to share where you found it? I am going to be doing some bathroom updating soon and I can see the brass version in the guest bath.

• Nothing Left to Say
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I would rather avoid going to look in person. I lack time, especially kid-free time, for that kind of thing. And selection is always limited at bricks and mortar stores, so I think the odds of finding something without going to multiple places just aren't that great.

Holly-Kay, sure! I originally found it at barn light electric, but also saw it on shades of light. I think it may be slightly cheaper at shades of light, but I did not check on shipping costs or return policies, etc.

• Oaktown
    8 years ago

crl_, I totally empathize about the time factor. If I hadn't been choosing a whole house of lights I probably would not have wanted to go to the showroom either. When I went, I wasn't counting on seeing a particular fixture, just wanted to check the general quality of manufacturers. I had looked ahead of time on the website as to which lines the showroom carried, and I just lucked out that they happened to have in the showroom the particular sconce we had in mind. If they didn't have something in stock from one of their lines, they were happy to order it in (including barn lights from Hi-Lite, which I was told manufacturers most of the barn lighting for BLE); they also had some kind of price match guarantee (didn't kick in for us, because their prices were lower).

My architect once advised me (ok scolded me) that if money isn't going to be the determining factor in considering either a preferred item or a cheaper copy/knockoff/version it typically makes sense to see the "real thing" so you know what you are missing. I suppose I would say if it isn't worth your time to go look to address your reservations, why would you not just go ahead and buy the one you like better?

Holly-Kay, the line of fixtures is Keswick by Hudson Valley Lighting. FWIW I think the quality of the Hudson Valley fixtures that I saw was excellent.

• User
    8 years ago

I actually like the compromise that Jlc found better. I love how the sconces are square as opposed to round. It's more unique and very pretty.

• gramarows
    8 years ago

I still like the first one. The detailing on the cylindrical area surrounding the sockets is unusual and would nicely echo the ring-detailing on the Brizio.

• Nothing Left to Say
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The first one remains my favorite. And while I like square shades, they also make me think craftsman and we have a 1926 French revival, so craftsman isn't quite right.

Still mulling. Looking at the numbers a different way, the first one in the two light configuration is only about $70 over my initial budget. So maybe I should ask myself if it is worth going $70 over budget--that sounds a lot better, doesn't it? Lol.

• User
    8 years ago

In response to your original question as to if that lighting is worth 4x's as much, I think that you should just say yes and buy it. When you read through all of your responses to all of the suggestions and feedback, there is one conclusion that is really clear and it is that for whatever the reasons, that light fixture is the one you have your heart set on. So buy it and just find a way to recoup whatever you're over spending somewhere else, because if you settle on something you don't feel as strongly about, you will never be happy with the results.

• blfenton
    8 years ago

I happen to think that the first one would suit a French Revival just fine. It has the presence and the sophistication to look like it belongs. I wouldn't call it craftsman at all.

• lascatx
    8 years ago

Yes, I do think $70 iver budget makes more sense than a multiple of a cheaper option. Multiples of inexpensive things can get away from you and make you feel bad about something that really isn't that expensive or extravagent. LIke me and my really cheap tile vs very mid level tile. It's the bottom line that matters.

Even if your budget is absolute, you can find ways to make up $70. You or DH eat lunch out? Do Starbucks? You could do without for a short time or do PR&J for dinner once a week. Wouldn't take long to save up $70. And if the $70 isn't that big a deal for you, what are you giving youself grey hairs over? Keep it up and you'll spend more on covering the grey hairs. :-)

• Nothing Left to Say
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I'm blaming the kids for all the grey hair. The money is there for the more expensive light fixture. But I can find a more expensive option for every.little.thing. I'm good at that (though palimpsest has me beat by a mile). In fact the faucet is probably another example of that. And the money isn't necessarily there for upgrading every single item. I think this one probably does make sense though in that it's actually a fairly small dollar amount.

• positively_patty
    8 years ago

Maybe it doesn't matter anymore, but I've started to ask myself, "In two months will I look at the cheap light and wish that I had the expensive one?"

If the only reason I am looking at the cheap one is because it is cheap I will regret it, but it really isn't a difficult choice in the first place. If the less expensive one just doesn't have all the details, but is still good then that is where the real decision making is. And usually I realize that in 2 months the light will become old hat and I will cease to notice the details. So good quality, but less expensive and detailed lamp? I'll rarely wish I had it over the one I bought.

• Nothing Left to Say
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Positively_patty, I think that's a worthwhile approach. The truth is that I probably would continue to notice. In our first house, the sink was off center of the window by about an inch and half. It bugged me the entire seven years we lived there. Dh never noticed until I pointed it out and promptly forgot. Down the street is a lovely house that has the front door painted the wrong color (house is grey with purple in it, door is an orange red). It's been that way for about a year now. I seriously want to go paint that door in the middle of the night. This is part of why I tend to obsess about these decisions. (You'd think I could find better stuff to be annoyed by, wouldn't you?

• lascatx
    8 years ago

Don't try to upgrade everything. The ones that will continue to get your attention after all the pieces are together merit a splurge the most. That said, I have to tell you that I don't generally look up at the fixture over the vanity on my powder room now. I seldom look at the vanity fixtures in my bath. In both casses, they are located so you don't really see them as you walk in. Thay may make a difference.

I've seen houses and doors like that. I totally get it. LOL

• tibbrix
    8 years ago

My philosophy is, for items you intend to have for "the duration", invest in what you really want and good quality, i.e.: get the "real thing". It's worth the money, and usually ends up being less expensive in the long run since they last longer, hold their lines better, etc., and don't need to be replaced.

• missymoo12
    8 years ago

crl - I'm coming late to this thread but wanted to add a couple comments. The light bulb thing...old incandescent/halogen, cfl, LED. The number of watts the fixture can handle. I was surprised at how many would only allow for 40 watt max in a normal bulb, which to me is unacceptable for bath lighting, even at double or triple fixtures.

So then you have to choose cfl ugliness if you look up to see the bulbs or pay more for the newest more normal looking LED. Or you could put the light up so the glass points up. So just wondered if everything was equal wattage wise with the ones you were considering.

Of all the lights posted - I am in love with the double one you posted in brass. Please throw caution to the wind and get the brass fixture. It is beautiful. I have found so many of the chrome ones that are less expensive are so thinly plated or it is just paint over plastic.

I have that Pottery Barn medicine cabinet. It was junk. Made cheaply. Should have sent it back but DH installed it before I really looked at it. The mirror is tarnishing around the edges already.

I have those Brizo faucets in my Mbath. LOVE them! But there was something about the install that my plumber grexed about, it is well built.

• Nothing Left to Say
    Original Author
    8 years ago

On noticing. I can't say for sure. But the sconces in my master bath are the one thing that bugs me. I didn't check the projection and they stick out too far. And nearly two years later I do regularly notice this. So I'm reluctant to say I just won't notice the light fixture.

On whether this would be enough light, we will be putting in recessed cans. So the vanity lighting is just to supplement for that small area and for looks. So I'm not too worried about that.

On brass, I have gone in circles on that. We already have a almost new, nice shower head that we will be reusing and it is chrome. I know that mixing finishes is currently in style. I'm ambivalent about that in a small bathroom. But I feel sure that I would have to repeat it somehow even if I decided to mix. And unlike matching chromes, which is pretty easy, matching brass finishes is impossible. And I tried to see about brass for the vanity knobs and it does not look nearly as nice against the paint color we have chosen for the vanity as the chrome does. Nor does the brass look as nice against the wall color we have chose as chrome does. And I'm not revisiting the paint colors. Not. Not. Not.

On the PB medicine cabinet, that really bums me out. I wanted that medicine cabinet in our master bathroom, but couldn't have it because the exterior wall wouldn't accommodate it. I think I might throw a temper tantrum now.

• Bunny
    8 years ago

I also like the first one 4x better than the second. While I find that I don't notice my light fixture constantly, when I do stop and look at it, I'm very glad I chose it. I know that remodels involve a lot of nickel and diming. But the extra $300 might just buy you a lot you will appreciate over the next 5-10 years and beyond.

I also like Annie's 2nd photo.

• Andee
    8 years ago

After all the discussion, I don't think it should now center around a choice involving the "cheap" one you originally posted. There really is not a lot of similarity in the two you posted. One has a square backplate, the other is rectangular. One has a curved arm holding a horizontal arm that holdes the light. The other has individual curved arms holding the light. The light shades are different shapes. I think you ought to look at a less expensive model that more closely resembles the one you want - otherwise you get cheap (whatever that entails) AND a style you don't really like.

• blfenton
    8 years ago

I wish positively_patty had been in my life 5 years ago when we were choosing our eating area/family room lighting. If I had I would have lights that I loved instead of lights that I hate but the ones that I loved were $300 more for the two of them. I cheapened out - I didn't have to but I thought it was the right decision to do so and it was part of a whole-house reno. I kick myself everyday. Choose the ones that you love - you will notice.

• Holly- Kay
    8 years ago

Thank you so much CRL and Oaktown, I love that fixture!

• positively_patty
    8 years ago

crl - then that gives you clue of which you should be going for -though I do agree about the idea of looking for something in a less expensive range, but closer to the same style.

I totally get the door thing. There is a home for sale in our neighborhood. It was for sale 15 months ago when we bought this house. It has a red door which may look good on other houses, but really looks bad on this house. I know there were other things about the house that I didn't like and that's why I didn't look at it, but every time I drive past that door it bugs me.

The whole choosing between inexpensive and more expensive is kind of funny to me. There is a magazine that has 2 scenes - one more and one less expensive. I love going through the pictures and see the difference in cost and making a choice based on looks. Probably about 73-90% of the time I actually like the less expensive look, but sometimes it just doesn't hold a candle to the more expensive design. I might have to make a tread seeing what happens for everyone else.