SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
triciabobisha

Discount full countertop sheets- how to cut to size?

triciabobisha
9 years ago

Trying to remodel our kitchen on a pretty tight budget and I'm intrigued by the prices at solidsurface.com's surplus section, but you have to buy a whole sheet.

I'll preface this by saying we're pretty serious DIYers, so we're not too afraid to tackle it ourselves, I just want it to look good and at a certain point you have to decide what your time is worth. For our bathroom remodel we got some slabs of silestone at our local restore and cut them to size ourselves, so I know that part is possible, but those were just straight cuts to make rectangles and the edges we cut don't show.

This would be a significantly more complicated cutting to size + details like sink cutouts + somehow machining the edges, and I'm wondering if the savings of buying a whole sheet at a discount and DIYing is worth it- has anyone done this? was it a nightmare? and how did you do your edges, just with a router? I want them to really look 'finished.'

Has anyone bought full discount sheets and taken them to a local countertop place that will do all the machining for a fee, or will they not do that if you're not buying your slabs through them?

W're looking at corian and quartz.

Thanks!!

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County