SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elenamar00

Messed up with my Ficus Lyrata, would love some advice

elenamar00
9 years ago

I had my Ficus for nearly 2 years. The first year everything was good, it started growing happily as soon as I brought it home.

Then last summer I think I messed up with watering. I underwatered during summer first, and then probably overwatered during winter. Plus I didn't repot during the summer. Too bad I know. All the leaves started turning downward, and slowly some of them started yellowing and dropping.

I took it out of the pot during winter to check how the roots were doing. The Ficus was root bound, but because it wasn't the right time for repotting I just potted in a size up pot with a little new soil.

The plant started doing a little better and this spring it grew 3 new leaves. But those new leaves are covered in brown spots. I believe spider mites infestation because I could see some nearly invisible red moving dots.

I went to the shop to buy some neem oil and wetting agent because I wanted to start a treatment I read about on a forum ( a month long treatment with spraying at right intervals). The guy at the shop convinced me that ladybug spray was better so I got that one. I still went to another shop afterward and bought the neem oil.

Yesterday evening I started the treatment with the ladybug spray. Spraying the plant everywhere. The treatment says to spray for 2 days, then wait 7 days and spray another time. And that's it.

Should I just follow the treatment and wait. Or should I start with the neem oil after I finish with the ladybug?

Now I don't really know what to do. I wouldn't like to do more damage that I already did. The bottoms leaves are still yellowing.

I think I am still messing up with watering. I read the forum for hours and this weekend I am going to buy a wick and a dowel to try to get better at it.

Then when it's the right time I would like to try root pruning and repotting in al's gritty mix. I read many post and I understood I should wait until June-July for that right? I live in the Bay Area, CA.

spotted new leaf:

bottom yellowing leaf:

Many thanks in advance for any advice!

Comments (22)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert