SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jocelyn_chang59

Any Pruning Advice for Ficus Lyrata (Fiddle Leaf Fig)

Jocelyn
5 years ago

I have a multi-branch FLF that I've had for one year. It did well initially in a room with a large skylight. I later moved it into my living room next to a East-facing window and it seemed OK until sometime in the winter many of the leaves turned brown on the edges and dropped off. (I live in California). I don't know exactly what happened...I possibly overwatered it or it didn't have enough surrounding humidity. It's stabilized in the spring and is growing a lot but only on one side – the right side facing the window. It's been growing quickly in that direction and the leaves there are HUGE. I'm worried if I leave it, it will just continue going in this direction only and the plant will tip over eventually. I'm wondering if I should prune the right branch, and if so, at which physical point of the right branch and when is the best time? Also, if it's only growing toward the light, does that mean it doesn't have enough light and will just grow only that direction again after I prune it? I could always relocate it so it has overhead light, but I'd like to keep it in its current location if possible. All the pics are from today, except the last photo is from one year ago when I first got it.

Today - 3 main branches, right branch growing.

Brown edges on many leaves, most of the brown edged leaves already fell. These are the ones that have remained for a few months.

Original shape

Comments (14)