SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beesneeds

So I got sweet potato sprouts.. now what?

beesneeds
9 years ago

Last year, my sister was super excited to order sweet potato slips from a local nursery... only when they got the slips in they decided they were so crappy they didn't want to sell bad plants to the public. No biggie, we just wrote down our names for them to let us know when slips came in, and when the time came, they were bummed to tell us what they got sucked to bad to sell.

So this year, I picked up a couple sweet potatoes to grow our own slips. And I'm finding some conflicting advice.

I already cut the two potatoes I picked up in half, set them in a container of water- and waited for roots and shoots to develop. So far 3 out of 4 halves have made roots, and one half has sprung up shoots.

So I "planted" the one with shoots in it's own pot, and the two with just roots in another pot. Temporary planting, not where I plant to put them for the season.

Now comes the conflict- I've read that the shoots can just be broken off the potato and planted in dirt- and that it needs to be set in water for root development before putting into dirt. I've read that my two halves that are rooting can be planted now, and will make taters- and that I must wait till I get shoots off the taters.

I've even read of folks that sprout out their taters and plant them whole- as well as sprouted them, did other stuff with the sprouts, then cooked up and ate the mother tater.

Right now, my sister is so excited to see the taters making roots and shoots.

So what do I do next to help ensure we get at least a few sweet potatoes by the end of season?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm