SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
snowden_yesteryear

Got sprouts, what now?

Snowden_Yesteryear
13 years ago

I am new to gardening of any variety. Late last Autumn I built a raised bed (I'm not new to carpentry), intending to use it for vegetables this summer. I had impulse bought a bunch of seeds and they arrived in the mail. I read about wintersowing and figured why not? So I checked here to see which of my seeds had been wintersown with success, and chucked a bunch into the raised bed. From memory, I think I have some astilbe, dragons blood sedum, snow in summer, lavender, and some stuff that I can't remember. Nothing fancy. The bed is about 2 feet off the ground. I covered the entire area (maybe 10x10ft) with visqueen which I perforated, then ignored it until today.

Upon examination, I noticed I have several thousand little seedlings growing under the visqueen. Raucous celebration ensued for awhile. Then I remembered I have no idea what I'm doing. What now? Do I take off the visqueen? I'm concerned with the seedlings getting enough moisture, or cooking in the visqueen (there is about 4 inches of space between the soil and visqueen, and the sprouts are tiny), but it's supposed to dip into the 20's next week.

So:

1. What the heck do I do now?

2. Provided I don't kill them with the answer to #1, when can I move them to a permenant home so that I can convert the garden back to vegetables?

I would greatly appreciate any advice. I don't think I could sleep if I murdered thousands of tiny seedlings.

Comments (8)

Sponsored