SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hancockheather

Quick help please! Mudroom / Laundry lighting placement

hancockheather
9 years ago

Hi all, sorry for the last-minute plea, but my electrician is coming today and I have a sinking insecurity about the placement of the lighting in my mudroom and laundry room. I've attached a floor plan below. Mudroom is orange room on left, benches at top of room (when looking at plan) with 16" deep uppers above. Wall separating that room from laundry is full wall at top, then 42" gap, then half wall at bottom of plan (so more open to laundry than floor plan appears). Laundry has 12" deep uppers at top of plan with 25" counter below, then across from that is 30" deep counter near washer/dryer with 16" deep open shelving above.

The laundry room has recessed under-counter lighting on either side of the room. There is a central flush mount decorative round fixture in the center of the aisle -- not the center of the room because I thought that would make it look "off", since the room is not symmetrical on the aisle / doorways.

My worry is that the mudroom will look "off" now. I have the same central flush-mount fixture in there, and I aligned it with the one in the laundry, so when you enter/exit either room the fixtures are in a line above the aisles / doorways. But this makes it quite off-center in the mudroom, especially given the cabinets above the bench that eat into the ceiling space on that side. Should I re-align this so it's centered on the room? Change the laundry alignment to match even though it won't match the aisle? Or get rid of the central light fixture in the mudroom because we have cans there? I do like the decorative nature of it, though . . . Or maybe change the fixture to a different shape, like an elongated track-light/spot-light style? Ugh, this is bugging me! The mudroom has recessed cans, that are marked on the plan below. They can be moved too if necessary.

Please tell me ASAP if my current plan is a mistake and I should change / realign things! The drywall has been cut and I think the junction boxes placed, but it's better to change now before he comes back again this afternoon.

Thanks so much!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH