SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_5805723

Need help with my Tannenbaum Mugo Pine

User
9 years ago

Hello,

In early June of last year, my husband and I planted this Tannenbaum mugo (shown below), purchased from our local nursery. It was in a #6 pot, and not root bound. We live just west of Denver, zone 5b. Over the summer I watered it consistently with a slow drip hose (it does not receive water from any sprinklers). I measured the soil with my moisture meter, since we do have heavy clay soil here. The mugo was doing great throughout the summer (aside from some interior needles dropping). And receives early morning through mid-afternoon full sun.

We had the drastic cold snap in early November, which I have read has killed or injured many conifers in Colorado. Aside from this, I stayed on top of winter watering (once or twice a month depending on how many warm days we had).

Last weekend my husband and I returned to the nursery we purchased the tree at to inquire what they thought (with these pictures). We were told that the tree was most likely dying because of the cold snap in November, and if there were signs of life, we could cut the top dead section off -- it would eventually produce a new leader. When I inquired about the 5 year warranty we purchased, she let us know that it wasn't covered because this was an "act of God". Really?! (not sure what good the warranty was, then) -- I should also mention that we planted slowmound mugos nearby that survived the winter just fine.

My biggest questions are -- do you guys agree that this looks like winter damage, or should I take a branch sample to my county extension office to check for disease? Also, if there are living buds (I am hopeful), how do I go about pruning or helping the tree for the future? Is it necessary to cut the top off as was suggested?

I am really upset by this. I hate losing any plant, and this was a focal point of our new landscape. I'd like to help "her" along :)

Thanks so much!

-Lisa

**I apologize. I can't figure out how to rotate my pictures once they've uploaded.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County