SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maggyby

All things citrus

maggyby
9 years ago

I successfully got through my first winter of growing citrus in pots in a Northern climate in a heated greenhouse.

This thread is to talk about anything to do with our trees. Citrus recipes or anything you like. I have been successful because of all the knowledge and suggestions that I received on this forum. Maggy

Comments (285)

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    8 years ago

Brian, your satsuma is really growing. My satsuma owari is my only tree that has not shown any new growth this year yet. It looks healthy otherwise. Maybe I should show it a picture of yours so it knows what it should be doing.

Cory

• maggyby
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Well I have had problems with my iPad but got it works again. Cory I think it is becoming like your phone..You have had a lot of trouble with that phone. Maybe time to switch to another make. I have some info for you about expats buying property. I will send it to you once I get home. And saw all your comments as well .

Brian your trees look amazing as well. How do you manage that? I bet it was hard to go back to work after your vacation. I am missing my trees and pups now .

Mike. How are you doing ? Your yard pictures are so nice. It is time for me to get back to real life I am afraid. We fly home tomorrow . We had a great private tour of the city yesterday . Our guide Mario was amazing..he even took us to his neighbourhood and we had an authentic Portuguese meal in his favourite restaurant.

Here are some pictures from yesterday. We learned so much about the history of this country.

Famous Belem pastry shops . Still using same pastry recipe as 1837, it has many old tiled rooms inside. People line up every day for the amazing pastry

Tower of Belem build 1515-1520 Used to protect the harbour and later a prison. It was in the middle of the river but the earthquake of 1855 shifted its course

Inside the tower

Maggy

• maggyby
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Harbour Lisbon

Monument cellelebrating their revolution of 1974 and end to dictatorship.

Portuguese restaurant where we had lunch

Historic church

Maggy

• maggyby
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Lisbon

Castle at night

Maggy

• maggyby
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Today we went to three museums . These will be the end of my pictures of Portugal. Thank you my friends for allowing me to share this amazing journey with you

Museum of Carriages. Fascinating. Too many to post them all

The mail carriage

Maggy

• maggyby
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Royal carriages

Maggy

• maggyby
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Church which partially survived the 1755 earth quake and tsunami .now an archeological museum

Tombs

Mummies

Maggy

• maggyby
    Original Author
    8 years ago

National military museum

In 1974 the soldiers put carnations in their guns instead of bullets and joined the people to overthrow the dictator.

That's the end of photos from Portugal. Take care my friends

Many hugs Maggy.

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    8 years ago

Wow Maggy, thanks for the show. Amazing pictures again. Have a safe and happy trip home. Your pups and trees are anxiously awaiting your arrival. Thanks for taking us with you to Portugal.

Cory

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    8 years ago

Steve, I moved all my spinach and lettuce to the north side to see how they will do there as you suggested. I repotted all my baby citrus trees into larger pots today. They all had good roots, so I hope your Fukushu's did too. I found one tree growing in a pot of sphagnum moss. I guess I was out of potting media when I planted it. That looked good on top but there were not many roots as it stays too wet. I hope the trees I sent you were not potted in that! Maybe that is why they are so much smaller than the Moro's and Lemon and a few other types. I wish I had my camera to take pictures.

Mike, I received your email. Thanks. I have some plants that I think are a type of pitcher or bog plant that I got last fall that I posted a picture. Unfortunately I forget the name. It has two blooms on it. They have been red, but today they changed color. I need to ask you about growing them. I wish I could take a picture. I have a cute white mounted neofinettia blooming today. First bloom since I mounted it. It is really doing great on the mount. I hope it will stay nice. Sometimes I neglect them and they die after growing so well for a while. It is hard to be away with the mounted plants. Either they don't get enough water or sometimes too much when I set up a mister for them. This one is good yet though. There are only a few plants left in the greenhouse, mostly phals and paphs. and some other warm growers. I really have to clean it up in there though and get the electrician to replace the fan thermostat.

Brian, I don't know if my trees are getting enough sun this year. Last year I had all the big yard trees trimmed which let in more light. Now they have all filled in again so my citrus trees are getting fewer hours of direct sunlight. They have new growth though, but maybe there is not enough light for as much growth as you are seeing. You say your yard is very sunny and hot. I have tried moving them around, but there really is no place where they get direct sun all day long. I have to go with what I've got though. Just as well they don't get too big or I will not be able to fit them all back in the greenhouse. I covered all the grass spots where the animal keeps digging with some spare wire shelving racks. It seems to be helping to keep the critter away and is giving the grass time to fill in. The one rain storm we had helped too. It doesn't seem to respond as well to a watering from the hose.

Cory

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    8 years ago

Hello Everyone,

Mike, we are having thunderstorms all day today and lots of rain. Just what you like. I've been working on cleaning up the greenhouse and figuring how to make more space to fit the citrus trees back in the fall. It is not going to be easy. I need to clear a space so the electrician can get near enough to fix the fan thermostat.

Maggy, hope you are having a good flight back. I hope the front that is moving through doesn't delay your arrival.

Steve, my Fukushu Kumquat is blooming and it smells so nice.

Cory

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    8 years ago

Its time to start a new thread. Is it time to go to a bugs 18 or is the radiation level to deadly for humans. I am not knowledgeable on the half live of that kind of radioactive material.

Steve

Radioactive Decay of Candium

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    8 years ago

Hi Maggy, hope you made it home ok. How are the pups and your trees? Did Rick have to go back to work right away? What nasty weather you had to come back to if you are getting the same as us. If it keeps up like this you will want to go back to Portugal this October rather than waiting until next year. That sunny climate and beautiful beaches look like a place I want to be.

Brain, what's with this weather? I looks like you will be getting close to freezing temperatures this week! Are you bringing in all your trees again? It is cold and very rainy here, but the low is only 48F so far. That is cold enough. I just put in all the window fans this weekend as we do not have AC. Today I had to take them all out again as my heat kept coming on and it really felt cold inside. What a pain! You better get that new greenhouse started. It seems we might not be getting much summer the way this spring is going.

Steve, keep watch for a package coming your way this week.

Mike, how are you doing with the cold and rain? Your frogs must be sitting round the campfire again to keep warm. At least we got a few days of warmer weather. Just when my trees started to grow, the arctic breeze blew in again. You would have loved it here yesterday and all last night. Plenty of thunder and lightning. It must have struck something just a few houses up the street from me as two fire trucks came and stayed for a while. It was too nasty to go out and see what was happening. I'm not much on any kinds of storms like you are.

Cory

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    8 years ago

Cory The kumquat trees came in last Thursday. I got home from the smoky mountains late Friday and moved them into a container to acclimate the trees to full sun. After they are aclimated I will put the tree into the ground. I will dig them up around November and replant in proper mix and place them in the bucket lights. They are starting on new growth.

Thanks

Steve

• myermike_1micha
    8 years ago
    Hey my friends...Wanted to say that I am sorry I have not been able to post..I get home too late and I have been traing a new girl here at my desk..Arg, until I close..I will be back soon..Just wanted you to know I send much love to you all..Thank you so much for your kind words Cory, Maggy for the wonderful pics, Brian for caring about my frogs...Lol..Cory too..I will be back soon) HUgs
  • orangelime1
    8 years ago

Hi Cory the weather has finally turned very nice here but very cool tonight 41 degrees but that's OK . We did not receive much rain here we had a drenching on Saturday and Sunday Monday was a mix of sun and cloud and it was about 60 degrees . I have been watching the weather and I see you have had major rain and cool temps even Mikey had temps in the 40's for the last couple of day's wow!!! . Cory I just couldn't live without air conditioning impossible I need to sleep on a cold pillow lol. It must get very humid where you live does your house get very damp inside in the summer? Cory my backyard is literally an oven in the summer and even in the late spring and early fall to . We have only fruit tree's in the backyard and we keep those trim so it's sun in the backyard from 7.00 am in the morning to 8.30 PM in the evening, no shade here . This is why we have a pool but I would love to have the GH where it is because in the winter the GH would have sun there all day . Where my GH is now i only get a little over half day sunshine in the winter . Cory I don't know if I will be purchasing any new citrus varieties this summer I can't believe how rapidly mine are growing right now it's unbelievable . If I don't trim my tree's this fall I am sure they will fill my new GH . I have never seen such strong growth before and blooms yippee . Cory you have such beautiful trees on your property your oak is gorgeous and your rhododendron 's are stunning . I can't see you taking a chainsaw to anything on your property. How are your trees doing with all the rain ? I wonder if Maggy is back yet I am sure she probably has major jet lag . Cory hugs my friend . Maggy beautiful and interesting pics love it !! . Wow your I PAD takes gorgeous pics !!! . How did all your trees make out while you were away? Maggy I saw a gorgeous pineapple orange tree at a garden center it was about 5 ft tall and coated in oranges . I had to be taken out of there kicking and screaming not really but man O man I really wanted it but it was expensive my better judgement prevailed. Looking forward to hear from you Hugs hugs. Mikey I hear that you have been very busy don't you just love it, I had an extremely busy weekend here to . I see that your weather has been rotten YUK! !! Not much better here . Your Frogs must be loving it and I must admit your Frogs down there are much better looking than the frogs up here . Hoping everything is well at your place and your parents are well . Big hug Mikey .Steve your weather hasn't been great either Cincinnati has been very cool . Is that a rare thing for this time of year? Cory sent you some real beauties I bet they will be 6 ft tall in a couple of years with your expertise. Take care buddy

Brian

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    8 years ago

Brian

This is a little on the cool side but with in norms. I am more aware of it because I have tropical s and I try to count the hot days and there just aren't many until mid July. Cincinnati is to cold and cloudy to grow citrus trees. We get a handful of hot days and no sun in the fall, winter, and spring

Cory I want to thank you again for the 2 fukushu trees. I now have them inside on a hot pad and I have a special vacuum chamber to draw fresh air though the trees' roots. I hope to have them in a raised bed in a week or 2. The 2 fukushu trees are the only citrus I have that are showing new growth.

• maggyby
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi friends, we got home Sunday but my internet has been down. Just got it fixed now. Some jet lag for sure but slowly adapting. I will have to read all your posts now that I am home. It was the best trip ever. I gained 10 lbs but it was worth it. The food and the wine was sooooo good. Many hugs .Maggy

• myermike_1micha
    8 years ago
    Hi Maggy..I am soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo glad to have you back!!HUGS love and kisses!!! I wanted to thank you for all those wonderful pics that gave me a lift every time I looked at them. Some day I want to go there..You must have so many good memories...Have you looked at your trees yet? How did they do? Did it rain enough for you to keep them moist?Please, let's see...I have been crazy non stop here and will call you within a day or two..LOve everything you do for us..YOur kindness is beyond words)))
    Brian, Hello buddy!!! I still have to read what you wrote..Since my help quit already, I will have quiet time here later to see what you are up to..Miss you)
    Cory, I see you have had plenty to say so the same goes for you..I missed you and again thank you for every thing you do...Love and everyone else here tons!!
    We broke the all time records for the coldest days in June thus far..NOT GOO and not looking good for summer once again! 43 this morning and 50's today..40's yesterday..It's just eery...I see no 80's for the nextt ten days..Normal highs are about that..( I knew this Artic crap was not done with us, for possibly years to come.
  • maggyby
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Mike. I can't see your post here. Is it somewhere else. Maggy

• maggyby
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Mike, I got a notification that you posted but when I go to Houzz, again it is not there. Maggy

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    8 years ago

MAGGY, glad you are back safely. I thought maybe your Internet was not working as you said it broke the day you left. Mine broke last week too and someone had to come fix it. My electricity kept blinking my lights so that had to be fixed too and then my cellphone stopped charging. Not a good week with technology for me. I just got my replacement phone last night and am still getting it set up again. Not everything seems to have been restored yet. My original phone works when it has a full battery, so when the battery is charged on the new phone I can use it in the old phone to compare, which is helpful. It was my previous Motorola Droid Razor which was giving me all the problems. The only problem I had with this Samsung Note 4 was that my pictures always post sideways on this site. I'm not sure if that is a phone or site problem. Now that I think of it I did have many issues posting things, but I think that was the site, not my phone. Thanks again for taking us along on the vacation.

BRIAN, finally the sun has come out and it is a little warmer, but we are supposed to get more rain. You are lucky your yard is so sunny. Maybe you should just put your greenhouse over the pool. It might be nice to have an indoor pool. Maybe it would be too hot in the summer though. When you want to bring the trees inside, have a floor board to cover the hole where the pool hole is and put the trees on top of that (unless you plan to swim all winter). The pool will provide humidity. Maybe water in the pool would stabilize the temperature swi gs? I don't mind the summer heat that much. My new furnace was supposed to connect to AC, but they ran out of time connecting it so we're supposed to put it in the following spring. So much has since happened with the shore house being demolished and here needing a roof and so many other major repairs that the AC got pushed off until later. With the window fans in we really don't need AC that much anyway. I just got all the fans in which is a big job and had to take them all out again when it got cold this week. What a pain, and soon I will have to put them all back in as the temperature rises again. This year I bought a de-humidifier for my cellar. I used to put window fans there too and they kept it fairly dry, but last summer the humidity seemed to be condensing on the walls and floors even with the fans. I am amazed at how much water the dehumidifier is collecting. I am thinking maybe it is pure water and I can use it on my plants? I sort of miss the fresh air there but it is a lot drier with the dehumidifier going. It is usually very cool down there, but with the dehumidifier going it is warmer there than upstairs. Brian, I don't think I will be purchasing any more trees either as I have so many now and my seed grown trees are getting larger now too. I have a nice wide variety of types and blooming times. I don't have room for more and probably will need to find homes for some of these as they get larger as they all will probably not fit in as they get larger. I love my trees though. I think I may have to hang my orchids on them to fit everything inside.

MIKE, glad you cheked in so we know everything is ok.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    8 years ago

Meiwa had to go to make room for

Anew Harris citrus meiwa kumquat tree.

This tree was a gift from Cory and it made my day as well as kick start my citrus program here in Cincinnati.

Thanks a million Cory. My wife and I could not bring ourselves to buy one our selves. Her career came to an end 2011 cause by the big crash and my career was ended by the same as well as a broken back at the L4/L5 disk. My wife retired and I can work up to 12 hours maximum with out problems. We had so much problem until I planted in ground we decided to stick with the 2 tangerine trees.

Thanks again Cory

Steve

PS The new home after I get my pine fines tomorrow.

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    8 years ago

STEVE, I'm glad you like your Fukushu's. The picture below shows other seedlings I started at the same time. Most are much larger than the Fukushu seedlings. I hopened you can get them established and growing faster in your light box and greenhouse.

Hmm. Still coming out sideways with the new phone. You should be getting another surprise package from me this pm.

Cory

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    8 years ago

STEVE, we posted at the same time. Glad you got your new Meiwa. I'm glad it made your day. I hope it will give you some little kumquat fruits soon.

Cory

• maggyby
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Mike,Your post just showed up. It was an amazing trip thank you and Cory and Brian for welcoming me home. Just got my Internet fixed this afternoon. I will not be able to talk tomorrow as I am going to the cancer clinic with my friend and Friday morning I have a Podierest appointment. We will find a time . My trees are not in great shape and need a lot of TLC. Two of the panels of the greenhouse were on the ground and the pins to hold them in place are missing. Not sure how that happened.Cory, it is nice to be home but honestly I could stay in Portugal easily. I am very passionate about the country, the people and of course the food. Sorry to hear of your technical difficulties. I am glad you enjoyed the pictures. It was fun sharing with you all .I have had trouble with the site at times so may not be your phone. Brian, how are you ? Wow! The tree you described sounds wonderful. How did you resist. I am afraid I would not have the self discipline. I may need to replace some of mine. I think they have been over watered but then it rained a lot while we were away. The ipad does take nice pictures but I think it is wearing out. May have to replace it. So glad to be back with my friends here. Much love to you all and thanks again for going on the journey with me. Maggy

• orangelime1
    8 years ago

Maggy welcome home my friend !!!!!!!. I wanted to write you while I was on the bus but I had to stand today no seats. Maggy so sorry to hear about your trees . Last week it was very cool with a ton of rain , here we only had a couple of showers thank goodness . I think in Windsor last weekend it rained 3 inches . Maggy we had extreme weather while you were gone . One week in the 90's the following week in the 40's even with snow flurries kicking around . In Windsor there were a few nights while you were gone in the 30's very cold there was a hard freeze here the weekend before last the temp got down to 28 degrees. Even in the Niagara area lots of grape farms were hurt by the freeze but I heard things are starting to recover . I had to bring my trees in and out twice what a pain but we'll worth it . This year is the earliest ever they've been out last week of April . So Maggy 10 pounds wow but you took off 30 before your trip right lol. Maggy there is a price for having a good time good for you . You just have to live life to the fullest and then worry about the other later. Maggy I am soo glad you guy's had a great time and Rick looked like he was thoroughly enjoying himself . Have to cook supper now . You guy's take it easy . Hugs Hugs my friend! !!!

Brian

• maggyby
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I Brian, you must be tired after working and then having to stand on the bus. I think I can get my trees to improve with some fertilizer and sun and lots of TLC . It was a shock to arrive in Windsor in Sun. To 42 F. Everyday we were away was in the 80's and sunny. Next year we are going in Oct. This week- end we have to clean up the back yard. It is a mess . I haven't planted anything yet. All my herbs died during the cold winter. I am going to buy transplants .but the beds need a lot of work. I agree Brian,we have to seize the moment and live everyday to the fullest. I will lose the weight and now we have 16 months to get ready for our next trip. Every month I will buy Euro's so it won't be a big expense all at once. Something to look forward to. Take care my friend. Love to you. Maggy

• orangelime1
    8 years ago

Hi Maggy I just lost a message . Maggy . Maggy this must be a big adjustment for you like a 40 degree difference , the time difference the food and now you have to cook it and not to mention the cleaning of the house , ouch! !!. How are the pup's are they mad and ignoring you lol. Maggy there was some big thunderstorms while you were gone that's what probably happened to the GH . Did you silicone every pane . VERY important . It's been such a windy May everyone here has been commenting on it . Glad to have you back dear friend! !!! I am sure your trees will come back just fine now that the master citrus gardener is back. Here is a couple of pics . Hi Cory here is my grass it's filling in very fast. How is yours . Did you find out what's been digging up your grass ? Is it still raining there ? It was a gorgeous sunny day here about 74 degrees , 80 tomorrow love it . Big hug Cory

Pic of my Tango really taking off now

Pic of my Shasta gold

And crazy Satsuma

Love you guy's

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    8 years ago

Wow Brian! Just look at that green grass and those beautiful trees! I still don't know what keeps digging up my newly planted grass seed. The randomly spread shelving over rhe area has helped some. The lawn is filling in some. My trees had just started to leaf out but now have had to put the breaks on again. The sun came out for an hour or so finally today but it is still in the 50's and low 60's when the sun is out. A little more rain is expected and then it hopefully will warm up again and the trees will be able to start growing again. They got sort of yellow and spotty from the cold and rain but are doing ok....no casualties. Looks like they need fertilizer but maybe they can't use it until it warms up again. Brian, thanks for showing the pictures of your trees. Gives me something to aspire to.

Cory

• orangelime1
    8 years ago

Hi Cory Thankyou so much it means a tremendous amount coming from you , your very kind . Cory just keep seeding . With the rain you've had your grass seed should take off very fast soon as long as it has not been washed away . I know the bird's love the grass seed but I don't worry because I have plenty . The weather pattern has been so weird for the last few years it's been warmer to the north of us that's where our warm air has been coming from . The warmest place in Canada today was in Timmins Ontario which is about 500 miles north of here. I will never fertilize when the weather is cool . Actually I fertilized this afternoon and it's going down too 48 but 80 tomorrow so it should be OK . We were lucky here not to get that heavy rain and we were supposed to . Rain for days and cold is not that great for the trees I am sure . Have a great night my friend big hug.

Brian

• maggyby
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Brian, I just love your trees. Cory is right. It gives one something to aspire to. If my trees looked like yours I would be so happy.It was an adjustment coming home to cool weather. Well the dogs. Teddy is so happy to see us. Buddy is still mad . He will not look at me and when I try to kiss him he turns his head the other way. He will not cuddle with me and he watches everywhere I go. He became very attached to Connie our dog sitter. I hope he becomes his old self soon. I did not silicone the greenhouse. I guess I will need you to tell me about that. What do I need to buy? Etc. You must be looking forward to you new greenhouse .Well friend sleep tight. Hugs .Maggy

• bayareacalifornia
    8 years ago

Hi Citrus Experts! Just curious if you have any recommendations for fertilizers for in-ground citrus. We inherited oranges and lemon in a very very large built-in planter. They look pretty mature though they are pruned into a hedge shape. They produce delicious and juicy fruits, but not very many (surely the pruning is limiting them). Anyway, a quick online search turned up TONS of citrus fertilizers. Am I pretty much safe to go with any of them? I just want the trees to be healthy. I don't need them to double in size or anything like that. :-)

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    8 years ago

Brian I must agree that your trees are always beautiful and well shaped. I guess its those large pots as well as your techniques. What size/sizes of pots do you use. I use the 5 gallon and 29 gallon halves of a 55 gallon drum. I have found that it takes more caution in watering as the containers get larger. You seem to do well.

Steve

• orangelime1
    8 years ago

Thanks Steve . I honestly don't know what size of pots my trees are in . I have all my trees in pots that touch both sides of the GH door frame. They are big and heavy. I just repotted my valencia in a pot that I cannot lift by myself . It would never fit into the GH that I' have up now . My new GH has the double doors so it will not be a problem bringing it in . I won't be able to lift it but it will fit through the doors lol. Steve great job grafting very cool . My 5 in 1 apple tree died this past winter the cold I guess did it in . Steve just about every nursery this year is carrying the Chicago fig . I might have to pick one of those up . Take care buddy! !. Maggy how is the jet lag ? So Buddy is still mad , nothing a good old fashion rib steak couldn't fix. Maggy the silicone really helps with keeping it together and keeping rain water out. This past winter I didn't do it and I ran into problems with panes lifting and water getting in . You don't have to do it every year but you would have to inspect your GH to see if it needed it . Usually every 2 yrs in spots. How are the trees are they looking better today? Thanks Maggy for the compliment's on my trees everyone here has gorgeous specimens. Did you see the Kishu in the red pot? The trunk on it is getting very thick I think it's getting ready to burst . Hi Cory and Mikey are you enjoying this gorgeous weather? Take care guy's big hugs.

Brian

• myermike_1micha
    8 years ago
    Brian, BIG HUGS right back at yah....Wow, I can't wait to se your greenhouse alll together! I can't believe that our weather was so cold too..They say we broke all kind of records, but then of course, I knew that. I expect JUly to do tha same thing. A cold August and then back to winter..We can thank that darn Artic blasts for this, favoring the east....We got lucky and it left us alone for a month..Now it will come back to haunt us like it has been doing these days...We hit 30's on many parts of this state last night(( It feels too cold for me today too..Maybe 30's tonight again..Record breaking temps..Your trees are amzing buddy!! That grass so darn green!!! What the heck do you feed your lawn and when? It's beautiful along with every thing else of cours!!) Love..Missed you and Mom says hello...Things are bad here but not bad enough to detroy me..I still find solice in things like gardening and my trees and you guys of course..I love you all buddy..By the way, I hear you about having to use a cold pillow thingy..lol. It's funny how much we have in common..Now, how are the figs trees? How in the world will you carry in that pot?! Any fruit on any of them yet? I have some but not on most!HUGs to you Brian and stay happy
    That was soooooooooooooooo nice of Cory to buy a tree for someone like that..Her heart is one of the sweetest I have ever seen..She even sent me a package out of the blue..I love that wonderful human being!
    Speaking of Cory,,,

,Hello Cory..Miss you too..
    I ses that you have been busy and getting the same weather as me..My trees ahve slowed too and even turned yellow a bit..The cold does nothing for them..I can't understand why it's so cold for JUne and was so warm for May..It is backwards! Even my fig trees have slowed down..I don't think it's going to be a very long summer for us..I think we are going to be jipped again..It will get HOT for a day here and there in July and then feel like fall already by August..What ever happened to our long OT summers and storms..I have not even heard thunder yet. When I get rain, it gets cold..NOt those nice warm showers we got years ago.
    I wish I could visit and help you...Have you tried Neptunes Harvest yet? I see the buggies are getting better?
    I send youi the biggest hugs Cory!
  • cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    8 years ago

It's still cold here too. I put my fleece jacket back on...even in the house! Mike, maybe the cold weather will kill the bugs?

Cory

• maggyby
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Mike, just wanted to let you know I am thinking of you. I have missed you all. I am hoping we can chat soon. It is hard for us to find a time. By the time Rick gets home at night and we have dinner it is bed time. Perhaps we could plan on Monday morning. I spent most of the day with my friend at the cancer clinic and then had to buy some groceries. Tomorrow morning I have an appointment with the Podierest . The bones in my feet are arthritic so after all the walking in Portugal they are painful. I hope you didn't think I have been ignoring you . My mind has been fuzzy due to jet lag but today seems better. Thank you so much for your kind words lately. I appreciate that. We have lots to talk about so let's figure out a time to catch up. Hope your Mom is o.k.much love

Maggy

• maggyby
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Cory, it is 80 F here today and I need the airconditioning on. So weird . A few days age it was 42. Hope you and your loved ones are well. Maggy

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    8 years ago

Bayareacalifornia, I see no one answered you here about what to feed your in ground citrus. Most of us that post here are container growers. You probably would get more info if you started another post with your question. We don't have experience growing citrus in ground. We are mostly from the Northeast and Canada. There are a lot of California in ground citrus growers that normally don't come here to post.

Cory

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    8 years ago

Maggy, I hope that 80°F weather gets here soon. I am freezing! I need to turn the heat back on I think.

Cory

• maggyby
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Brian, sorry I didn't see your message. I still have a foggy brain. It is like I am in a different planet. Poor Buddy. He was so spoiled no wonder he didn't want to come home. Walks several times a day .toast and peanut butter for breakfast or eggs. Cuddles and lap time when ever he wanted. He was even carried outside at night to pee. Plus he slept in a huge bed with humans. LOL! I will do the silicone . What kind do I use and do I do every pane. Honestly Brian i haven't had time to even look at my trees the last few days. This week end I will move them, fed them etc. And get them perked up. Glad to hear your Kishu has grown. My is growing but not fast. Hugs. Maggy

• myermike_1micha
    8 years ago
    Cory, my heat has been on for days!

Maggy. I miss you too..That jet lag can be a real killer and painful feet on top of that along with chemo...My goodness..I am just happy to see you back. I see that your tress are not that great? Yikes..The weather has been nothing but short of crazy..Mine too are being affected..Until we get nights that are consistent with 55 or higher, this is what we have to deal with..They should be much than this for this time of the year, but I had it figured out they would be colder than normal once again. I guess we just have to deal. My frogs are not too happy and the fish, well they hunker down these rather unusual cold nights.
    I am so glad you had such a wonderful time in Portugal! I wish I could go. I would love to be in a place that gets 80's day after day without a snow day in between..Our weather stinks@! Look at Cory putting on the heat. I am still using my space heaters at night. I never had to use them beyond april.
    My Kishu is growing slow too..I figured it out..IT's teh root stock they are on that determins whether you get good growth on our grafted ones or not....I know it...I have some that do remarkably well while others constantly have to be pushed..Some of my trees have to fertilized and vinergized all teh time or they look like crap while others I could ignore and they grow no matter what.
    We shall chat soon. I hope we can chat before the weekend is out so I can get the scoop on your trip. Many hugs my friends!
  • orangelime1
    8 years ago

Hi Mikey I cannot believe how cool it is for you and Cory unbelievable . Here not a cloud and 79 . I can't even sit in the backyard right now it is so hot back there. When it's 80 degrees , in my backyard it's really 90 with hardly a breeze . They are calling for thunderstorms tomorrow while I am at work poor Sugar. Mikey in the 30's at night wow , how are your plants doing with the cool ? Here to at night all week it has been in the low 40's . I actually love this weather I wish it could stay like this here all summer . Mikey my fig tree is very slow this year I think it needs new soil and a larger pot . I don't know what to do if I go larger pot it won't fit through my patio door this fall when I bring it in. Maybe I will take cuttings and start all over . How are your fig trees doing , I bet alot better than mine. Mikey have you had the top of your convertible yet . ? We have a big sun roof on our SUV and its amazing how fast you can get a sunburn but the sun always feels so nice . Mikey I must admit we all have something very special here on the forum and it is amazing how close we have all become . I hope it continues for many many year's . I am so glad things have settled down for you . Mikey the garden is were I head to when things are bad and it really does help alot . Thank goodness I have this hobby and you guy's here , it really helps when I am feeling down . Gigantic hug to you and your mom My friend.

Cory heater what's up . I tell you Cory the north will be the new south . For the last few years it's been warmer to the north of us . I meant to ask how is your tree doing the one you planted in the extra large pot ?

Maggy that's the way to do it spoil them and they will forget . Do you think that maybe they know this, show a little sadness and get then spoiled . Maggy I think they are playing us lol. Oh Maggy arthritis in your feet that must be so painful. I have it in my knee and that hurts I can't imagine in the feet . Glad you had a special day with your friend . Hugs my friend

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    8 years ago

Hello! Where is everyone. Got my replacement phone up and working now. I was at my sister's beach house since Friday. It was a cool and windy weekend. It is supposed to warm up now. It was raining and dark when I got home tonight so haven't been able to check my trees. Hope everyone is ok. Mike I see your email and will write back soon. Maggy, I hope your feet are a little better. I have the same problem. I hate those first few minutes after getting out of bed and can hardly take a step. Has Buddy gotten over being mad at you for leaving him yet?

Cory

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    8 years ago

I have found a place to plant each of my fukushu kumquat trees. They will get a full days light and be in ground in a raised bed. They need 2 more days of sun acclimation and in they go. The meiwa will need another week. Some of the buds are expanding.

Steve

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    8 years ago

Meyermike

How is your in ground Meyer lemon tree doing. I have found that in ground trees grow about 2 times faster than those in large containers.

Steve

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    8 years ago

Steve, glad you have found a good spot for the Fukushu's. Mine is blooming and it smells real nice. It is a very pretty tree. I hope you will be able to get them to grow. Good luck with the Meiwa too.

Cory

• maggyby
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Cory, It looks like the rain that passed us by is heading your way. My feet are better. I need to buy some shoes that do not press on the tops of my feet. I did a lot of walking, stairs and climbing while away. Getting older sure is not for sissies. Buddy has forgiven me and is his usual loving self. I just finished making 5 rhubarb pies and 10 jars of pickled asparagus. So sitting for awhile

Mike, how are you doing. Try to find the time so we can talk tonight, we need to catch up. Looking forward to chatting. Hope everything is o.k. With you.

Brian. I bought two new trees on the week end. A seedless key lime and a kaffir lime. The guy at Anna's where I bought my trees last year ordered them for me. When I got home his entire stock of citrus was sold out. I haven't had time to deal with my trees yet. They are alive but most of the fruit is gone. The Clementine that had so many fruit now has none. I don't see any on the ground so not sure what happened. Tomorrow I will try and move some to the front where there is more sun. oh! And I got a black pepper plant. Not in great shape but interesting. Just saying hello and thinking of you all. Maggy

• myermike_1micha
    8 years ago
    Hello everyone...Listen, I will start a new thread after I post this....It's taking quite some time for it to down load now and yet I could not stop looking at Maggy's pic..I hate for this thread to get lost(

Brian, I am soooooooooo upset about this last episode of Game of Thrones...My God! Listen it is so good to hear from you,..I am waiting for a good thunder storm to roll through..It will be, believe it or not, my first all summer..They are so rare now..Sugar would love living here.lol My figs are coming on strong although many are not producing fruit..I don't get it. I do every thing the guy that sold them to me he does, and yet his are always loaded..I don't get it..BUt I figure if I have 16 of them, one is bound to give me fruit at some time or another.ha. MY weather has been all over the place too.. Kind of strange pal..Scarey in fact. BUt I see we are finally suppose to stay above the 50's for over a week, thank God..Now my trees can finally gain some growth. I can't believe it gets that hot in your back yard..Yikes..Time to plant a beautiful tree, you think? I don't have the convertible anymore( I now have a Honda Accord..More practical although I plan of renting one f I get another vacation soon..I love the fact that yours has a nice moon roof..That's awesome.
    Yes Brian. most here are very caring and gunuinley caring....Hugs to you my aweseom pal! It's starting to pour now, just what my trees need)

Maggy. my friend...I would love to chat if I don't go to the gym...If I don't I will call you for sure. We need to catch up for sure. I am so happy you are back...How are your trees these days? How is your greenhouse? Empty? All cleaned out? How's Rick? How are you? How's your friend? I hope your temps are much better than mine these days...I hope your trees make a good recovery..HUgs!

Cory. I hope your weather has been ok these past few days..I hope you are ok..Hugs to you too.